Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Confession.  I took time off this week and I had plans to "get things done," but instead I've been cocooning.  We take the dog out in the morning, but then I come home and... well, I've spent the last three afternoons in a coma.  We've talked about day trips but I've been all about the day naps.  I was wondering if we have a carbon monoxide leak.  Doesn't seem to be affecting Better-half or the dog, though.

I don't want to get to the end of my "vacation" and realize I slept through it.  I do need to get a few things on my list checked off, but I already started thinking some things could wait.  Like the haircut.

Finally picked up the phone and got an appointment for tomorrow.

It's so easy to stay in the rut!  It's comfortable there and the snacks and naps are great.

Ruts are fine places to be--I should know, I've been in one for years--perfectly happy to be here.  If you didn't need the down time, you wouldn't be napping.  Think of it as your birthday gift to yourself.

Enjoy it it while you can.  All too soon it will be time to get back to the grind. All those things you want to get done will be there when you feel like getting around to them, and most are not really as important as we think they are.

Glad to hear The World's Best Dog is back to taking walks.👏

As usual, sage advice.  I'll take it! 

Our boy is happy to be back out there, too.  There's a whole world to sniff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

I'm not watching TV till tomorrow & I'm getting off the computer till tomorrow.  The other channel has a Perlier TS & I'm tempted.  If I stay away I won't buy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I went through my drawers and got rid of another handful of clothing.  Pieces that were faded, just didn't like anymore, etc.  So another 15 pieces gone. I could of let go more because there are pieces I just don't reach for so maybe that will be the next round.  

Up next are the kitchen drawers.  I have a hard time letting gadgets go but there are things I have never used and they are clogging up my drawers. Why did I think I needed every gadget under the sun?  A good set of knives and some useful gadgets is all you need. 

As I start to declutter again, I often think, why in the world did I think I needed two vacuum cleaners for 1000sq ft of space. And you know why, it was a new model and I had a coupon. 

Respected Contributor

My HEP is not going well but I am not giving up. I finally accepted I am not a portion control kind of person and have no willpower,  so I think I need to give some stuff away.  Why is it that I have these revelations when I always have a ton of stuff around. 

Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

I'm not watching TV till tomorrow & I'm getting off the computer till tomorrow.  The other channel has a Perlier TS & I'm tempted.  If I stay away I won't buy.

Now I know why I don't take vacation days.  If I'm working I'm not shopping.  I've been frugal for so long and then this week I started spending.  It's like that scene in Mister Roberts when the crew is granted liberty after being trapped on that ship. 

First I bought the pants.  Sure, I needed pants, but that was an investment.  Then yesterday was like an addict on a binge.  I went to Walmart and bought birdseed.  I passed on mascara because $6.24 a tube seemed a little steep.  But Better-half told me to look at shirts.  I wear long-sleeve tees under my scrubs and the ones I bought in October 2013 are the same ones I've been wearing every week to work.  They were the Merona shirts from Target which I discovered, after checking their website yesterday, are no longer 100% cotton.  Reviewers are terse.

So I'm looking at 100% cotton tees at Walmart and the quality is nice.  In fact, they're heavier than I actually need.  So Better-half takes me over to the $4.88 shirts.  I say I don't need them and he says I do because we're here now.  So I pick up four.  Not a huge investment -- twenty bucks for four shirts. 

Then we go to Costco for Halloween candy.  I now have 156 full-size bars sitting on the dining room table.  No, you can't have my address.

But the worst thing that happened yesterday?  When we went out erranding, Better-half pulled into a fast food place and we actually went inside.  I haven't been inside one of these places in years.  I drank root beer.  I ate fries and a big soggy burger.  I should donate blood today because I have enough sodium in my body to get me through to Thanksgiving.

It was supposed to be a quick lunch so we could finish off the koshari last night.  But after that I couldn't eat dinner.  The koshari's still in the fridge.  And I woke up this morning in a V8 commercial.  I remembered the fast food (which we both agreed was an error in judgment) and then thought of all the things we could have eaten instead.  Better choices.

And, on top of that, I have an appointment to get my hair chopped off today.  Good thing our birthdays come only once a year.

Get me through October because next month is going to be NOvember!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Yesterday, I went through my drawers and got rid of another handful of clothing.  Pieces that were faded, just didn't like anymore, etc.  So another 15 pieces gone. I could of let go more because there are pieces I just don't reach for so maybe that will be the next round.  

Up next are the kitchen drawers.  I have a hard time letting gadgets go but there are things I have never used and they are clogging up my drawers. Why did I think I needed every gadget under the sun?  A good set of knives and some useful gadgets is all you need. 

As I start to declutter again, I often think, why in the world did I think I needed two vacuum cleaners for 1000sq ft of space. And you know why, it was a new model and I had a coupon. 

Those coupons!  So I ordered those pants and today I have an email apologizing for a delay in shipping.  I don't think I've ever had one of those.  Delays, yes.  Apologies, no.  And then there's another email: My order has shipped, but two items are backordered.  Then there's a third email: The backordered items have shipped.

So why the apology email?  It's because there's a gift inside: A 25% off coupon to use with my next order.  I wasn't planning on another order.  But now I have this coupon...

Watch out for those coupons.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

My HEP is not going well but I am not giving up. I finally accepted I am not a portion control kind of person and have no willpower,  so I think I need to give some stuff away.  Why is it that I have these revelations when I always have a ton of stuff around. 

Oh, and talk about email!  I just got one from a college that still sends me messages about sales in their bookstore and it's entitled: You've done so much this week.  Treat yourself.

How do they know what I've done this week?  And I haven't done all that much.  And I already treated myself, thank you.

HEP was fine until I ate that salty, soggy burger dripping with nasty sweet sauce.  Yuck!

Like you, I think it's safe to say that the only way I'm going to wear a lot of the things in my closet is if I'm diagnosed with a terminal illness.  I need to pack up those size 8 and 10 items that will look nice on someone who is actually a size 8 or 10.  So many of these items still have tags on them!  And they did fit when I bought them.  But that was a long time ago.

So now I have new pants.  I can't gain weight, but now I can't lose it, either.  I have to make sure these pants are my size until I die!

We should have just rented a cabin in the mountains and watched deer.  The V8 commercial continues...

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Those coupons!  So I ordered those pants and today I have an email apologizing for a delay in shipping.  I don't think I've ever had one of those.  Delays, yes.  Apologies, no.  And then there's another email: My order has shipped, but two items are backordered.  Then there's a third email: The backordered items have shipped.

So why the apology email?  It's because there's a gift inside: A 25% off coupon to use with my next order.  I wasn't planning on another order.  But now I have this coupon...

That 25% coupon would be hard for me to pass up especially if it is on something I bought and love.  They are evil.  I am learning to control the urge to use them. I have conquered a few sites like Vitacost for one.  Although on clothes it would be hard because I am revamping my wardrobe a bit. 

Enjoy your purchases Just Bee and don't fret.  We need some treats once in awhile, refreshing things if you will, and you really have been so good.  It is inspiring. 

I am excited to report October will be another no beauty purchase month.  NOvember will be hard though. Btw, NOvember cracked me up. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

That 25% coupon would be hard for me to pass up especially if it is on something I bought and love.  They are evil.  I am learning to control the urge to use them. I have conquered a few sites like Vitacost for one.  Although on clothes it would be hard because I am revamping my wardrobe a bit. 

Enjoy your purchases Just Bee and don't fret.  We need some treats once in awhile, refreshing things if you will, and you really have been so good.  It is inspiring. 

I am excited to report October will be another no beauty purchase month.  NOvember will be hard though. Btw, NOvember cracked me up. 

I had sort of a "kismet" birthday yesterday.  I've been researching salons and I was just about to give up and chop my hair off myself.  Then I found a place not far from the house.  It looked like the salon was closed, but Better-half told me to call anyway.  I did, and the owner-stylist answered the phone.  Normally she's booked months in advance, but she had a root canal and it impacted scheduling at the salon.  She was there on her day off and was able to squeeze me in on my birthday.

I liked her.  When you make an appointment it's for an hour and you have her and a private room.  I mentioned that I had found someone to cut my hair in the 90s but as she was promoted at her salon, she would be overbooked and often have six clients at a time.  She'd cut my hair while she was coloring and perming other people.  This new person said she was doing the same thing until a client ripped her to shreds one day and made her cry.  That's when she decided to go into business for herself and do it HER way.

I warned her when I came in that my hair was a challenge.  I was there for an hour and twenty minutes and felt bad because her other client arrived early and had to wait.  But she agreed with me: My hair is a challenge.  She looked at it, felt it, and then began to marvel at its weirdness.  She explained what she was doing and why she was doing it.  She cuts hair when it's dry and she uses scissors.  She had planned to wash it when she was finished, but since my hair is also waterproof, I figured I'd be there for another hour and she'd lose that early-bird client.  I passed on the shampoo.

All in all, a positive experience!

And then I avoided the Cubs game (still testing my jinx theory), watched the Al Smith dinner, and had a roasted beet salad for dinner (sensible and delicious) and spumoni cannoli for dessert (it's my party and I'll cannoli if I want to).

When I was done at the salon, there was a pile of hair on the floor the size of a Pomeranian.  I could actually see the white and silver in there.  The stuff I call my "natural highlights."  I like my new stylist.  She refers to these strands as "sparkles."  Sparkles!

At my age, I need all the sparkles I can get.

Honored Contributor

Well then, bee, it sounds like you like your new 'do.  Great.  And it sounds like you also found a kindred spirit.  "Sparkles". I like that.  Right up your alley!😉