Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Happy Birthday to you!  And your Better-Half, too!  🎂🍰💇🏻

Thanks!  Have no idea what we'll do but we still have a few days to think about it.  We don't exchange gifts, but this year I hinted that we needed to refresh our wardrobes because I sensed the dog was embarrassed to be seen in public with us.

I wasn't keeping up on the prices because I haven't bought clothes in a very long time.  When we need new jeans we go to Costco and pick up a pair for around thirteen bucks.  Curious, I went online to see what a pair of Levi's costs these days.  Whoa -- where have I been?

I just paid more for pants than I've ever paid before and then the old habits kicked in.  I can't wear these.  I'll save them.

For what?  I was thinking it wouldn't be right to wear them to the bosque with the dog.  Better-half just looked at me and said: "That's what they're for.  These are outdoors clothes."  Hiking, climbing, walking the dog.

So now I have pants.  Skinny legs so I have no excuse to not wear all the shoes and boots and sandals that I haven't been wearing.

So I just injected some life into my closets.  I think it's safe to say I've been in a fashion rut for too long.  Like a sheep, it's time for me to ditch the fleece.

Apparently "our" mother must have taught us that because I still do that too!   I got away from that habit while we were living in the suburbs, probably something having to do with the "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude, but in the last several years since we've been in the boonies, the "save it" phobia has kicked back in.  Why wear nice clothes when no one will see them?  Moreover, mainly because they'll just get dirty within five minutes around here.

So now, I put on my "town" clothes to go to town, come home and immediately take them off.  My new dilemma is now, "I only wore these a couple of hours, they're not really dirty, should I wash them, or not?"

We should all have such problems, eh?

I'm trying to figure out when it was that I stopped "trying."  When I stopped consciously accessorizing, putting together outfits, adding a scarf or a piece of jewelry or a festive pair of socks to complete an ensemble.  When did I start thinking: "This is good enough -- no holes, no stains, minimum dog hair?"

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Happy Birthday to you!  And your Better-Half, too!  🎂🍰💇🏻

Thanks!  Have no idea what we'll do but we still have a few days to think about it.  We don't exchange gifts, but this year I hinted that we needed to refresh our wardrobes because I sensed the dog was embarrassed to be seen in public with us.

I wasn't keeping up on the prices because I haven't bought clothes in a very long time.  When we need new jeans we go to Costco and pick up a pair for around thirteen bucks.  Curious, I went online to see what a pair of Levi's costs these days.  Whoa -- where have I been?

I just paid more for pants than I've ever paid before and then the old habits kicked in.  I can't wear these.  I'll save them.

For what?  I was thinking it wouldn't be right to wear them to the bosque with the dog.  Better-half just looked at me and said: "That's what they're for.  These are outdoors clothes."  Hiking, climbing, walking the dog.

So now I have pants.  Skinny legs so I have no excuse to not wear all the shoes and boots and sandals that I haven't been wearing.

So I just injected some life into my closets.  I think it's safe to say I've been in a fashion rut for too long.  Like a sheep, it's time for me to ditch the fleece.

Apparently "our" mother must have taught us that because I still do that too!   I got away from that habit while we were living in the suburbs, probably something having to do with the "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude, but in the last several years since we've been in the boonies, the "save it" phobia has kicked back in.  Why wear nice clothes when no one will see them?  Moreover, mainly because they'll just get dirty within five minutes around here.

So now, I put on my "town" clothes to go to town, come home and immediately take them off.  My new dilemma is now, "I only wore these a couple of hours, they're not really dirty, should I wash them, or not?"

We should all have such problems, eh?

We were definitely taught this.  I no longer keep things for good and havent for ages. I do take things off when I am home though because I always manage to get grease stains on clothing somehow and that irritates me to no end. 

I do not wash clothing I only wore for a couple of hours.  It goes back in my closet in the front and I turn the hanger backwards so I know I already wore it once.  I started doing this a couple of years ago.  Now, if I hang it on my gigantic closet hanger which is my Pilates machine, then when I do laundry I throw it in because now it has been sitting under a ton of othe clothing. 

Yes, G, the problems we have, right?  #feelingblessed

That's another thing.  Pilates.  I actually bought (from QVC) a Pilates Performer.  One day it went into a closet and it's been in there for years.  Why is it in the closet?  Why am I not using it?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

So how are the no sugar participants doing?  A coworker brought dozens of cookies into the office today.  I ate a few.  Fortunately, they were small, so I did not puff up.  After only two (close to three) days of watching my sugar, I can already see and feel a difference.  My bloated tummy is almost completely gone, and I have no cramps.  Whenever I am tempted by sweets, I am going to remind myself of how much better I feel when I don't eat them.  Now, if I could just get back to walking on a regular basis.  I was so bad last week.  It has really cooled down, so that is one less excuse I have for not walking.

I hear ya!  We've cut back on our walks because we want the dog to stay off his leg, but we're all miserable.  We're driving him to parks and keeping the outings short, but we did break down and take a couple longish walks this week.  If we don't get out and walk we feel crummy. 

That's interesting that you see and feel such a difference when you avoid sugar.  I'm looking at buying Halloween candy and I wonder if there's an alternative.  I buy full-size bars for the critters, but I'm wondering if there's another option.

I still have chocolate from last year -- now expired -- and I know it's going to happen again.  But then I have to think: The kids don't care about this.  They want those big bars.  What am I going to do?  Give them ballpoint pens?

Hope the pooch is feeling better!!

Re: eating less sugar.  Now, I have more energy and have started walking, again.  Here is another remarkable thing.  My face was looking very dull and drawn.  Last Thursday, I woke up to glowing skin, and it is still glowing.  Could it be as a result of less sugar?

Our orthodontist asks his patients to donate all leftover Halloween candy to him.  He sends it to the troops.  I'll bet you can find a dentist or orthodontist in your area who does the same thing.

We're out walking again.  In fact, today we drove to another part of town and we actually saw one of his dog friends walking down the street.  This town is way too small.  Can't go out without running into someone we know.

Yup.  When our hair, skin and nails look bad, what do we do?  We reach for a product called Hair, Skin & Nails or a cream, a conditioner, or a concoction to fix the problem.  Sometimes all we need is food, sleep and water.  Our bodies tell us when we're doing something wrong and we tend to ignore what they're saying.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Hey, JB!!

Image result for happy birthday owls

Owls!

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Those are really nice pants!  I am finally at the time in my life when I will pay more for clothes that I will actually wear because they fit me and my lifestyle and will last.  Gone are the days when I wanted a lot of clothes.  Now, I just want a few quality pieces that I will wear.

Simple pieces -- nothing fussy.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

That is the reasonable thing to do.  Buy clothing that we love and is flattering.  Then, once or twice a year, buy a few things to freshen things up.  At least, that is the direction I am going.

No, your dog was not embarrassed by your clothing.  That's the great thing about dogs.  They love us no matter what.

And stores frequently exclude Levis from their coupons.

I like BH.  A no nonsense type of guy.

Pull out those shoes and go crazy!!

Oh, no.  He was embarrassed.  I could tell.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Okay, so how's the no sugar/reducing sugar thing going?  I'm okay.  I have not eliminated sugar, but I have dramatically reduced the amount of sweets I eat to a very small amount.  If it is not in the house, I don't eat it.

How do people eliminate sweets completely from their diet?  If I eat one brownie, it triggers something in my brain that tells me to eat the entire pan of brownies.  How to people instill the discipline in themselves to have just one small brownie?  I have started reminding myself of how much better I feel without sweets.  More energy, glowing skin, no ....... gas Smiley Embarassed, possibly less future health problems, etc.  That helps.  If you are reading this and have successfully given up a food that is not good for you, please share how you did it!!

I'm still trying to give up the white cheddar popcorn!

But I think the best way to give up something is to find an adequate substitute.  Better-half gave up cigarettes and took up vaping.  I gave up coffee and started drinking tea.  He's getting less nicotine, I'm getting less caffeine.

There was a thread about Trader Joe's recently and someone made the point that the store is filled with garbage.  I get their flyers and everything sounds wonderful, but it's all garbage.  We went there the other day to get frozen artichoke hearts but they were out of stock.  We ended up buying wine and a container of organic vanilla ice cream made near my alma mater in Northern California.  No actual food.

Everywhere I looked there were sugary, dessert items.  They stock them in every aisle -- even over the frozen food.  The place is full of this stuff.

Honored Contributor

Better-half is making koshari -- or at least his version of it.  Lots of spices, lentils, garbanzos, rice and pasta, but his isn't vegetarian.  He makes it with chicken.

I keep thinking we should go to a restaurant for our birthdays, but I can't get excited about it.  I'd rather eat at home.

Honored Contributor

Confession.  I took time off this week and I had plans to "get things done," but instead I've been cocooning.  We take the dog out in the morning, but then I come home and... well, I've spent the last three afternoons in a coma.  We've talked about day trips but I've been all about the day naps.  I was wondering if we have a carbon monoxide leak.  Doesn't seem to be affecting Better-half or the dog, though.

I don't want to get to the end of my "vacation" and realize I slept through it.  I do need to get a few things on my list checked off, but I already started thinking some things could wait.  Like the haircut.

Finally picked up the phone and got an appointment for tomorrow.

It's so easy to stay in the rut!  It's comfortable there and the snacks and naps are great.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Confession.  I took time off this week and I had plans to "get things done," but instead I've been cocooning.  We take the dog out in the morning, but then I come home and... well, I've spent the last three afternoons in a coma.  We've talked about day trips but I've been all about the day naps.  I was wondering if we have a carbon monoxide leak.  Doesn't seem to be affecting Better-half or the dog, though.

I don't want to get to the end of my "vacation" and realize I slept through it.  I do need to get a few things on my list checked off, but I already started thinking some things could wait.  Like the haircut.

Finally picked up the phone and got an appointment for tomorrow.

It's so easy to stay in the rut!  It's comfortable there and the snacks and naps are great.

Ruts are fine places to be--I should know, I've been in one for years--perfectly happy to be here.  If you didn't need the down time, you wouldn't be napping.  Think of it as your birthday gift to yourself.

Enjoy it it while you can.  All too soon it will be time to get back to the grind. All those things you want to get done will be there when you feel like getting around to them, and most are not really as important as we think they are.

Glad to hear The World's Best Dog is back to taking walks.👏