Honored Contributor

Remember when I said my family gave me a collection of ceramic unicorns from Toujours Moi?  I'm seeing them sold online now and am wondering if I should part with them.  One of the candles is online for almost fifty bucks!

I was so surprised to see another Toujours Moi item online -- one I've owned for decades, but had forgotten it was associated with the fragrance.

unicorn

It's an incense burner, but in high school I used it to hold the ring that my sister gave me on my 16th birthday.  She told me how awful it was when she saw my face as I opened the ring box.  I'd asked my family for a ring for my birthday but I was thinking more along the lines of a cheap silver spoon ring.  It was the 70s and all my classmates wore spoon rings.

spoon ring

But noooooooooo.  My sister went out and bought my birthstone.  I was mortified when I opened the box and saw a marquise opal set in white gold.  All I could think was that this was too special and I was either going to lose it or smash that fragile opal if I ever wore it.  Even at 16 I had the instinct to "save."  Thankfully I resisted the urge then and I wore it and loved it.  Still have it (of course).

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I watched Dottie feeding her owlets this morning.  One of the tiny owlets was behind her and did not get any food.  I was encouraging him to push ahead to the front, but he didn't.  Then, I was telling Dottie to look behind her, but she didn't.  I'm nuts.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Remember when I said my family gave me a collection of ceramic unicorns from Toujours Moi?  I'm seeing them sold online now and am wondering if I should part with them.  One of the candles is online for almost fifty bucks!

I was so surprised to see another Toujours Moi item online -- one I've owned for decades, but had forgotten it was associated with the fragrance.

unicorn

It's an incense burner, but in high school I used it to hold the ring that my sister gave me on my 16th birthday.  She told me how awful it was when she saw my face as I opened the ring box.  I'd asked my family for a ring for my birthday but I was thinking more along the lines of a cheap silver spoon ring.  It was the 70s and all my classmates wore spoon rings.

spoon ring

But noooooooooo.  My sister went out and bought my birthstone.  I was mortified when I opened the box and saw a marquise opal set in white gold.  All I could think was that this was too special and I was either going to lose it or smash that fragile opal if I ever wore it.  Even at 16 I had the instinct to "save."  Thankfully I resisted the urge then and I wore it and loved it.  Still have it (of course).

I wanted a spoon ring exactly like the one above.  

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

unicorn

spoon ring

I wanted a spoon ring exactly like the one above.  

Exactly!  That's why I was so mortified when I opened that box and saw a piece of "jewelry."  I wanted a wearable ring not a responsibility.  I remember the morning I was getting ready for school and I reached for my ring and it wasn't there.  That's when I realized my niece had taken it.  The niece locked herself (and my ring) in the bathroom and refused to come out.  My mother and sister were on the phone to my other sister, explaining that if her daughter didn't return the ring immediately, my sister was going to come over and wring the kid's neck.

One of those odd family incidents that had long-term consequences.  I had been "nice" to the girl the night she was over and I gave her some of my things and I even cut her hair.  To discover that she took my ring was... well... disappointing.  Ironically, I ended up using this family drama for my college entrance essay.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

I watched Dottie feeding her owlets this morning.  One of the tiny owlets was behind her and did not get any food.  I was encouraging him to push ahead to the front, but he didn't.  Then, I was telling Dottie to look behind her, but she didn't.  I'm nuts.

No, not nuts.  A few people have already posted that they're not going to be tuning in because they suspect things aren't going to go well for the kids.  Cornell will post warnings if it starts to get dicey.

Ah, nature. 

Honored Contributor

http://www.camscape.com/view/34307

Here are some peregrine falcons at Nottingham Trent University.  Better-half had found this nest online and asked me how things were going.  Checked in and saw baby falcons.  Quite a view from that nest!

Respected Contributor

I have to start watching these cams again.  It seems everytime I tune in, the birdies arent doing much. I have to catch them at a good hour. 

Just Bee, I do like that ring. I dont remember them from back in the day.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- May

[ Edited ]

Here is what I used up this week:  1. Body scrub (finally!)  2. John Frieda blow out spray.  I have already repurchased the spray.  I also tossed two things:  1. Essie nail polish in nude beach.  I discovered that the tiny bit in the bottle dried up completely.  It is a very pretty color that is easy to wear.  I might repurchase this color.  2. Body sunscreen.  When I was applying it, the product came out of the tube separated.  Why, you ask?  Because it had EXPIRED!!!  How did this get past me?  I opened another bottle that was under the sink and had not expired.

I'll be back with my purchase list.  Oh, boy!  I have to help DD get ready for a party.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Aprilskies - Good job on making dents in the eyeshadow!  Your perseverence will pay off.  As for Colour Pop, yes, wait for a code.  I ended up not ordering from that last sale.  It was ridiculous, once the site uncrashed, they made us stand in a virtual line.  I gave up at that point.  I don't know what I would have ordered anyway, I don't need anything.  I am really enjoying the gel liner for tightlining.  That jar is going to last practically forever. Beware though.  I had 2 orders where they sent me the wrong item.  I ordered a sheer lippie stix and they sent me the matte one.  Then I ordered the gel eyeliner and they sent me the pencil one.  Customer service is good and sent replacements and I got to keep the incorrect item (eek, more to add to the stash).   

I took a different approach to the last dermstore 30% off sale.  I had a couple of things in my basket that the sale didn't apply to so I deleted them.  Then I saw that they carry the hair product that DH & DS use.  So I only bought that for them, about 3 months worth.  Now that DS is in 5th grade, he's so concerned about his hair.  DH is jealous that DS has so much hair.Smiley LOL

I'm close to finishing a cleansing water (don't see the hype with these micellar waters) and a facial oil (I have a full size back up).  I enjoy filling up the skincare drawer during the black Friday sales for the year and watching it empty out the rest of the year.  It's so satisfying.  I've tracked my usage so that I finally know how long it takes me to use something up.  2 months for a tube of lotion, 3 months for a bottle of shower gel, 6 months for a bottle of cleansing oil, forever to use up blush, etc.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I have to start watching these cams again.  It seems everytime I tune in, the birdies arent doing much. I have to catch them at a good hour. 

Just Bee, I do like that ring. I dont remember them from back in the day.

It seemed like everyone was wearing spoon rings.  People were making their own.

bird ring

Oooh -- check that out.  I'm surprised they haven't come back since we seem to be stuck in the 70s.

I have the opposite problem.  Usually when I tune into the bird cams, something interesting is happening in every nest so I have to flip from one to the next and try to catch it all.  Yesterday, in Georgia, there were two ospreys checking out the abandoned Great Horned Owl nest.  And in Montana, Iris the osprey has a beau.  In Indiana, the barred owlets are sticking their heads out of the nest box and checking out the neighborhood.  The hawks at Cornell have been chowing on squirrels and chipmunks.  Right now, Dottie's feeding the barn owlets and the smallest one is first in line.  I'm hoping that its sibling, who is three or four times its size, doesn't get confused and there isn't an incident.