Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, apparently I can't edit on the iPad right now.  

What I was going to add to the previous post was that I got hooked on that $5 a cup coffee last fall when they have the Pumpkin Spice stuff.  Delicious!  So much so that I bought extra and put in the frig for later.  When I brought that out and looked at the congealed gunk on the top of the "coffee" and the lid of the container, I almost lost it right in the cup!  After that it didn't seem quite so delicious anymore.

Speaking of delicious, how's your girl?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Well, I can't quote either.  And I can't edit anything!  

Just bee:

She's in another phase. This time it's not coming when called. A few days ago, after a day of rousing play, I let her off-leash, thinking she was tired and would mind me. Hah! She immediately ran to the pond and wouldn't come back, with me screaming at her, naturally. Our pond is rather like a prehistoric watering hole, all grown up and teaming with life. She had a ball for at least an hour, running around the whole thing, chasing bunnies, squirrels, birds and of course, turtles in the water. When I finally got her back, apparently she could tell I was so furious that she immediately went into her crate and stayed there all night. Good thing, too. She was riddled with ticks. Thank God my vet had made me put her on Bravecto; the ones I couldn't get off myself, died. Now I'm picking dead tick bodies off my doggie. This is the latest episode. My old geezer and I are once more looking at each other wondering what in the world I've done.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Aprilskies, you are my idol.  I would love to go back to using bar soap that I can actually buy at the local store while I'm getting groceries instead of spending an arm and a leg and waiting for my "skincare regimen" to arrive.  My mother also only ever used bar soap for her face--the same bar she (and the whole family) used to bathe with.  And it was whatever was on sale, usually an off-brand, not a name brand soap.  She had beautiful skin, never used sunscreen a day in her life, and I never, EVER, saw her with a pimple. I, on the other hand, have awful skin.  Here I am getting ready to apply for Medicare and I still get zits!  It's terrible.  Apparently I took after my father, not my mother.   But I'm having a hard enough time trying to transition to drug store deodorant from the philosophy I used to use.  

(And I just got an order with a cleanser I really didn't need in order to get that free shipping.  It gets me every time.)

I agree, Geezerette, with everything you said.  And my mom didn't even use basic moisturizer until late in life much less sunscreen. 

I am am surprised I am enjoying soap again. Thanks too Beekman. Lol.  It got me started. 

Starbucks is nice once in awhile.  I just don't get it like I use too.  

Excuse any double words.  I couldn't go back and correct. 

soap saver

Now that you're using soap, are you also using one of these?  There are various types, called soap nets and soap savers, and they are designed to hold those small pieces of soap that might otherwise get tossed.  I was given one as a gift and haven't used it yet because I'm still working my way through liquid soaps.  But one day I envision using all those bar soaps I've collected over the years.  Wonder if they're still good...

I just stick the pieces of soap on the new one and they fuse together after a minute. It is a pain but it works.  At first when I switched I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my salux cloths. I got so use to using them. But I fold it up and put the soap in the middle, works well and I get a bit of exfoliation.  

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Just bee:

She's in another phase. This time it's not coming when called. A few days ago, after a day of rousing play, I let her off-leash, thinking she was tired and would mind me. Hah! She immediately ran to the pond and wouldn't come back, with me screaming at her, naturally. Our pond is rather like a prehistoric watering hole, all grown up and teaming with life. She had a ball for at least an hour, running around the whole thing, chasing bunnies, squirrels, birds and of course, turtles in the water. When I finally got her back, apparently she could tell I was so furious that she immediately went into her crate and stayed there all night. Good thing, too. She was riddled with ticks. Thank God my vet had made me put her on Bravecto; the ones I couldn't get off myself, died. Now I'm picking dead tick bodies off my doggie. This is the latest episode. My old geezer and I are once more looking at each other wondering what in the world I've done.

She sounds like a handful and a cutie. Keeps you young. Who needs beauty creams. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Just bee:

Ah, yes... selective hearing.  Quite common in many of the German breeds.  Sometimes they do hear you but then they choose to ignore you.

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the ____ else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the ____ do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? Okay.

This sounds like a severe case of canine adolescence.  Tough love is required here.  Lay down the law!  Immediately take away her iPhone and iPad.  No more Facebook, either.  She's grounded!

At times like this I always ask myself: If I were a dog, would I ignore Mom and chase that rodent?

___, yeah!

I have found an effective method of dealing with wayward puppies.  Put your head in your lap and burst into tears.  That usually guilts them into good behavior for a couple hours.  Either that, or it just freaks them out and they go into hiding until you compose yourself.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

just bee,

If the head-in-the-lap thing worked, she would be the best behaved dog in the county by now given how many times I've done that. I may try the iPhone/iPad thing though. She's just a big goof and is not serious about anything. At least we finally got the peeing outside thing down pat, after I don't know how many months. Now that she's going to be re-training on a leash, maybe coming when called will eventually return.

aprilskies,

she is a cutie. In fact, she's gorgeous. I think that may have gone to her head. As for her keeping me young, it's funny you should mention that. Before we got her, I kept saying I was too old for another dog. Everyone kept telling me that wasn't true, a puppy would keep me young. I was right.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- May

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Aprilskies, you are my idol.  I would love to go back to using bar soap that I can actually buy at the local store while I'm getting groceries instead of spending an arm and a leg and waiting for my "skincare regimen" to arrive.  My mother also only ever used bar soap for her face--the same bar she (and the whole family) used to bathe with.  And it was whatever was on sale, usually an off-brand, not a name brand soap.  She had beautiful skin, never used sunscreen a day in her life, and I never, EVER, saw her with a pimple. I, on the other hand, have awful skin.  Here I am getting ready to apply for Medicare and I still get zits!  It's terrible.  Apparently I took after my father, not my mother.   But I'm having a hard enough time trying to transition to drug store deodorant from the philosophy I used to use.  

(And I just got an order with a cleanser I really didn't need in order to get that free shipping.  It gets me every time.)

I agree, Geezerette, with everything you said.  And my mom didn't even use basic moisturizer until late in life much less sunscreen. 

I am am surprised I am enjoying soap again. Thanks too Beekman. Lol.  It got me started. 

Starbucks is nice once in awhile.  I just don't get it like I use too.  

Excuse any double words.  I couldn't go back and correct. 

soap saver

Now that you're using soap, are you also using one of these?  There are various types, called soap nets and soap savers, and they are designed to hold those small pieces of soap that might otherwise get tossed.  I was given one as a gift and haven't used it yet because I'm still working my way through liquid soaps.  But one day I envision using all those bar soaps I've collected over the years.  Wonder if they're still good...

My DH's grandmother made her own little soap bags from the old Salux washclothes that are all the craze now.  I saw it in her shower when we first got married.  Nothing went to waste.  As the washcloth got thinner and the soap got smaller, she would make a little bag out of both.  The good ole days.  When every penny was accounted & planned for.  And yup, Salux has been around forever.  Now it's finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I have been struggling with palettes lately though, seems like I want them all, but I am going to try and not add more to the collection. I already talked myself out of a couple, which is good.  So crazy.  There is only so much you can use. 

I struggle there too, but panning one palette has been a huge eye opener.  And I realize that even though I'm using a different palette, the eyelook ends up exactly the same.  No one but me knows that I used a different brand, color, etc that day.

Yes, I agree, it is an eye opener.  I never tried to pan before so this is the first time I have been using a palette with any consistency. It does take a long time. I am also starting to learn what colors work for me or not and which ones I know I will never use.

Yes, LOL, yes, it ALL looks the same.  I had to laugh.  This past week, I have been playing with different shadow looks at night, even doing one eye differently then the other since I wasnt going anywhere, and it ALL looked the same.  Really too funny.  So then, why do I jones for another palette? 

I think I have enough eyeshadow for the rest of my life and well into the next.  Thank you for this conversation. It has quieted the urge for another palette.

Hm, you gave me an idea.  I think I'm going to do a different look on each eye tomorrow and see if anyone notices.  I bet not.Smiley LOL  

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

Cool Cat

I'm in!  I definitely need major help in this area and this is just the group that I can count on for the moral support.

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I have been struggling with palettes lately though, seems like I want them all, but I am going to try and not add more to the collection. I already talked myself out of a couple, which is good.  So crazy.  There is only so much you can use. 

I struggle there too, but panning one palette has been a huge eye opener.  And I realize that even though I'm using a different palette, the eyelook ends up exactly the same.  No one but me knows that I used a different brand, color, etc that day.

Yes, I agree, it is an eye opener.  I never tried to pan before so this is the first time I have been using a palette with any consistency. It does take a long time. I am also starting to learn what colors work for me or not and which ones I know I will never use.

Yes, LOL, yes, it ALL looks the same.  I had to laugh.  This past week, I have been playing with different shadow looks at night, even doing one eye differently then the other since I wasnt going anywhere, and it ALL looked the same.  Really too funny.  So then, why do I jones for another palette? 

I think I have enough eyeshadow for the rest of my life and well into the next.  Thank you for this conversation. It has quieted the urge for another palette.

Hm, you gave me an idea.  I think I'm going to do a different look on each eye tomorrow and see if anyone notices.  I bet not.Smiley LOL  

LOL.  That would be funny.