Trusted Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Confession time, I ordered some lipsticks from UD because they are half priced and being discontinued.  I do love this formula and the packaging is so pretty.  Good news, the shipping is taking so long, I haven't received them yet so I feel like I haven't purchased anything.  And by the time they come, I will have finished the lipstick I am currently using.  

Angie on hotandflashy (dot com) was sent ten shade of UD's new lipstick collection.  A big variety of colors, textures, and finishes.

Love Angie!  I found her because of your recommendation.  I will have to NOT check out her video on the new UD formula.  What I've seen so far on other blogs look really nice but I need to stop.  If/when I get my order in, I will have a year's worth of lipstick to use up.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

There is only one thing that I have bought from Evine lately.

460-101- Nicole Curtis Unisex Jersey Knit Short Sleeved Crew Neck Printed Tee

I could not help myself!

I could add a couple things to that shirt. 

old books

old clothes

old toiletries

Even my houseplants are old.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

Barn Owl talk:  Did you see that the site has posted the starvation warning?  I am so nervous for the youngest two owlets.  They are TINY!  I hope they make it.  Their siblings seem to really like them, and Mom is feeding them.  Fingers crossed!!!

Once they posted the warning I stopped tuning in.  I generally check in on the family when I'm at work but it was crazy busy this week and I didn't even eat, let alone check on the owls.  A good thing, considering recent events.  Kinda saw that coming when the weather turned bad.

Such is nature.  Several people on the site were horrified and posted that they would never return.  They need to remember that the owlets they so adore survive by eating other families' loved ones.  That big rat, swallowed whole, was somebody's mother, father, cousin, daughter, son, husband, wife.

It was unfortunate the way it all played out, but these things happen.  The siblings aren't malicious -- just hungry.

I was really upset when the youngest two died, so I took a break from viewing.  This year, the nest will not be the same as last year.  We do not have an Ollie because all of the owlets are all about the same size.  Ollie had quite the personality.  Maybe one will stand out this year.

The good news is that the remaining four are all pretty much the same size and four is a manageable number.  In a way, I'm looking forward to all the birds in all the nests growing up and flying away so I can get back to accomplishing something.  I still have shredding to do!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I've been following your ColourPop conversation here and, out of curiosity, I checked out their website a couple weeks ago.  I don't need to know about these things.  Happily, I don't need any shadows or lip products so I'm going to pretend that this site doesn't exist.

Any time I think I need to look at a zillion shades of eye shadow, I'm going to check on the price of hamburger in Venezuela instead.

North of the border, Better-half emptied the ancient bananas foster 3-in-1.  Before you offer congratulations, know that there is still some left in a pump bottle at the kitchen sink.  Speaking of shower products, I found another use for my Paula's Choice cleanser.  I'd been using hair conditioner to shave under my arms, but I grabbed the facial cleanser and discovered that it is a superior shaving product.

I bought a 3-pack of scissors at Costco recently and I'm looking at those scissors, then looking at my hair and I'm having urges to hack off this mane.  So close...

Think I'll check on those burger prices again.

I do not know how the Venezuelans are surviving.  This year, their inflation rate is supposed to reach 700%!!  They need help.  Pronto!!

Years ago, I worked with a woman who decided to take a trip to Venezuela.  When she returned, I asked her about her vacation.  All she said was that the people were very poor.  That was it.  She said nothing else.  I can't imagine what life is like for them now.

Bet Sean Penn won't tell us.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Bare Minerals upcoming TSV was pre-ordered earlier and I've been playing with it. I bought a couple of their deluxe bisque too....really love the new brush they are selling with it and this works nice in Summer. Not beating myself up over these purchases since I know from my history, this is majorly decreased amount of purchases lately.

I was almost tempted by the TSV but I passed.  I did get a deluxe bisque and cant wait to try that brush. I have seen nothing but raves about it.  Glad to hear you love it. 

I think when I'm done with all my shadows and I have to buy replacements, I'll pick up a couple little pots of bareMinerals.  They last forever (until you drop them, of course) and I've noticed something about them that I never appreciated until I started using a drugstore shadow.

I stopped wearing contacts years ago and am wearing glasses full time.  This drugstore shadow ends up all over my lenses.  I don't remember the minerals doing that.  I'll have to test that theory.  If I'm right, then I'm sticking with the little pots of color.

Anyone have experience with this?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I finished 4 products this month and close on a few more.  It feels so good to get some stuff out of my collection. I keep a tray on my dresser and am starting to see some space and in my bathroom cabinet and linen closet.  It has been a slow process but I am seeing some progress.  I have combined items to get through them, otherwise, oils and such will never get used.  I am also repurposing items too so I can use them.  I replaced everything from my backlog, different brands, but I didnt have to go out and buy replacements.

Just Bee, I agree, never again.  For me, it is skincare. No more purchasing a variety and multiples of skincare. No more. It is overwhelming and I dont think I am doing my skin any favors. I will also throw hair care in there too. I am always trying to solve problems instead of letting them run their course

I am still working on panning some eyeshadows. I am so surprised I havent hit pan on a white eyeshadow that I have been using every day for a while now.  It is amazing and I am even overusing at times. LOL.  It is an old palette and it needs to go, at least by end of year, so I want to get my use out of it. Even though I added some makeup/palettes this year, it has really made me start using my stuff again and I am enjoying it.

I have been struggling with palettes lately though, seems like I want them all, but I am going to try and not add more to the collection. I already talked myself out of a couple, which is good.  So crazy.  There is only so much you can use. 

Toiletries are like food.  Variety is nice, but sometimes you're left with inedible items.  Why did I feel the need to try so many different nut butters when creamy Skippy does the job?  Why did I feel the need to complicate my life?

I watched my parents shop and I thought they were boring because they rarely picked up the latest and greatest to try.  They stuck with the same brands, the same items.  Now I know why.  They didn't need the drama.  And they couldn't afford the waste.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of food...

Do any of you ComPactors remember the HEP thread?  It was the Healthy Eating Program thread and it fizzled, so I discontinued it.  I've been thinking of resurrecting it within the ComPact thread.

This is the beauty forum but I think we all realize that when our eating habits go off the rails -- too much fast food, too little water -- we start to look and feel a little ragged.  No cream or serum is going to fix that.

Would anyone be interested in revisiting HEP?  I think we've figured out the emotional component in shopping for toiletries and clothes: Isn't it the same for food?

I'll go ahead and post the May's HEP and we'll see how it goes.

Honored Contributor

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

Cool Cat

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Speaking of food...

Do any of you ComPactors remember the HEP thread?  It was the Healthy Eating Program thread and it fizzled, so I discontinued it.  I've been thinking of resurrecting it within the ComPact thread.

This is the beauty forum but I think we all realize that when our eating habits go off the rails -- too much fast food, too little water -- we start to look and feel a little ragged.  No cream or serum is going to fix that.

Would anyone be interested in revisiting HEP?  I think we've figured out the emotional component in shopping for toiletries and clothes: Isn't it the same for food?

I'll go ahead and post the May's HEP and we'll see how it goes.

I have thought about the HEP thread a few times ...... when I told my family we were going soda and sweet tea free ....... when I was cutting watermelon and canteloupe into bite size pieces for an easy snack ....... when I bought gouda cheese for a snack instead of cookies.

Yes, I am interested in the HEP thread!

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

For the makeup capsules, yes, I do it season by season (even though we really don't have seasons in Honolulu).  It helps me to go through my products and feel like the seasons are changing.  I use my pan that palette everyday.  That's the one constant in the whole plan.  Well, not the only one.  I use the same concealer, brow product, and eyeshadow primer everyday too.  Everything else I change out with the "seasons".  Different face base, powder, blush, accent eyeshadow, lippie, nail polish, perfume.  At the end of that season, if there's anything I just can't stand or didn't work well, I toss it.  I'm usually able to finish a lippie each season and I change out my mascara every 3 months.  This system has been good for me to stick to the same products and make sure I get a decent amount of use out of them.  I get a good sense of if it works or not.  And I'm getting to know how long it takes me to use things up.  

It's a little OCD, but I plan out each capsule ahead of time and write it all down.  It gives me a feeling that I know what's exactly in my stash and my plans for it.  It's helped me to rein in my beauty spending.  I guess that's why I felt like I could indulged in the UD lippie sale cause I know that I finish lippies regularly.  Everything else can WAIT.

CP is overwhelming.  That's good for me cause I can't make up my mind when I surf the site.  I only purchased the gel eyeliner and brow products because I needed them and I ended up getting the most boring (but standard) colors.  I haven't attempted to purchase any blushes, bronzers or highlighters from them and no more eyeshadows after that first quad.  It's just TOO MUCH.  

Thanks.  That is what I would do too, use the same base things throughout. This is a good idea and I may try this down the line. I want to continue with one month one palette so I can at least use the stuff that has just been sitting there but doing it by season, I think will really make some dent in palettes and other items. I want to get some things out of my collection.  I have been using the same palette for 2 good weeks now and while it looks like it has some use, nothing to write home about. The only shadow close is the white one I have been using for months.  It has been an eye opener.