Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Update: Rocky and Dottie are napping in the nest box and the weather in Italy, Texas might be improving starting tomorrow.

One of our residents at the hospital has contributed to my animal cam addiction.  She says her mother is addicted to this one:

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/great-dane-service-puppies-puppy-hill

I can see why.  Yesterday I watched them watch Mom Swiffering.  Something I should be doing instead of watching the Danes.

Ah, but there is nothing like a Dane.  Nothing in the world.  There is nothing you can name that is anything like a Dane.

I need to go water the roses now.

Now this one I may be able to watch. LOL

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

Just bee, I have an apple corer/slicer like the ones you posted.  Isn't that a handy little thing?  One good press and the job is done.

I guess I don't understand why someone would spend so much on packaged apple slices when it's more economical to slice your apples with this amazing kitchen tool.  I love gadgets!

We give our patients sack lunches and recently started adding apples and oranges which, of course, end up in the trash.  I drive around Albuquerque -- a city in one of the poorest states in the union -- and I see whole apples discarded on sidewalks.  When Honeycrisps are $16.97 at Costco and I have to choose a cheaper apple, it makes me ill to see perfectly good produce wasted on city streets.

Again, it's the end of Western civilization as we know it.

Our school district "forces" kids who buy a school lunch to take a piece of fruit, usually an apple.  The fruit ends up in the trash.

Every child should have an Italian mother.  Watching kids waste their school lunches when I was a kid was offensive enough; now that I'm an adult it's bad just thinking about it.  Makes me want to hand out slaps.

I work with kids, as well as adults, in psych and I can say with all confidence that the concept of parenthood is 99% dead.  When I hear "one-percenters" I think not of the upper income folks; instead, I think they're referring to the remaining parents in the world.  There are a few left.  Not where I live, of course, but I've heard they have been spotted in some parts of the country.

The apples aren't wasted completely.  DS tells me that the custodian retrieves a few from the trash.  Do you know how sad that statement makes me?  My throat is starting to hurt because I am about to cry.

I am not sure what the custodians situation is, but there are folks that dumpster dive for food. They dont like the waste and find perfectly good food that way.  I think they are called freegans, but could be wrong.   I give these people credit.  But, from what I understand, they find perfectly good still packaged food or frozen meats and things. When I came across an article, I was amazed at what gets thrown out when there are people starving.  However, in some states, I think it is against the law to do so.

Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- June

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies a big congrats to hitting pan!!  That's so exciting!  I get a little thrill every morning when I open my pan that palette and see the pans showing.  You will too!

@FindingMyJoy I am doing the same thing, using 1 older palette with 1 newer palette.  I feel like I'm getting some use out of more of my stash.  It also helps to remind me not to buy any more eyeshadow because when will I ever get around to using it?

@Oshare-girl - you know the funny part, seeing that pan has given me some umpf to hit pan on as many as I can.  So, while, I use a variety of the shades in the palette, I am focusing on just a few a little bit more.

As soon as my month is up on this older palette, I will do the same as you ladies.  I will still use it with my palette of the month and concentrate on one color from it. 

Super Contributor

just bee, thank you again for starting this thread. All of you inspire me so thanks to all of you.

Oshare-girl, would you consider donating that darling Christmas tree your mom made to a

day care or school for lots of kiddo's to enjoy???? Just a thought. (I gave dozens of beanie babies to my son's school librarian to use for prizes.)

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Makeup is a funny thing.  Why is it that one day it can look great and the next a powdery mess. 

I, too, am close on a few more empties.  One I have a replacement for already and the rest I am not repurchasing.  My backlog is slowly going down. Never again with backlogs. 

Sometimes I think it's more about technique and what's right for your skin type and coloring and not the brand or the price.  I think I solved my recent powdery mess: I'm using less shadow and now there's less on my lenses.

There's a thread here about "mature" women: Is less more?  I think it's true for younger women as well.  There seems to be a trend now for a more natural look and I hope it continues.  For me, my face is a palette and I tend to use watercolors instead of oils.  Not a lot of layering.  I've always believed in bringing attention to the best feature and taking focus away from the feature that needs no emphasis.  For most women, it's a choice between eyes and lips. 

In the 60s my mother worked with a beautiful English girl who was a real headturner.  Without makeup she was invisible.  But with makeup... wow.  She always said that if her apartment was on fire and she could only save one thing it would be her eyeliner. 

As I age, however, my lips require some attention.  They're disappearing and I know I look better with a little color and shine, but I just don't like lipstick.  Haven't owned a tube since the 90s and ended up throwing away a draw full of colors because they weren't being used.  The right color is crucial.  And it seems like most women choose the wrong lip colors.

Yes, I think yesterday, I used way too much stuff and when I tried to correct it without having to start over, let's just say it didnt work.  Less is definitely more.  Usually, I am careful how much I apply but sometimes it doesnt work out. 

I will check out the Mature thread.  Sometimes, lately, I skip over those because, at times, I find them a bit frustrating.  Over 40 should or shouldnt do this or that, over 50, who are you to have long hair, what do you think you are 20. But, it sounds like it would be an interesting read.  I have always been a neutral girl for the most part but do like some color.  I even bought a colorful palette this year. It is color but muted color and I will tone down if I need too.  I bought it within the last two months and havent really played with it much yet since I started the one month one palette and started with an older neutral palette. So, I am excited to get to it. I will use it with another palette as it doesnt stand alone.  Even though I use color, I still make it natural looking if that makes any sense.

I prefer eyes over anything. I tossed all of my lipsticks a few years back. I am really not a lipstick person. ....or blush for that matter. Have only a couple of those too. I only would apply it in the morning so by the time I got to work after coffee and all, it disappeared.  Now, I have one nude lipstick and one lipgloss that came in kits I bought, otherwise, I wouldnt have any, but that is not to say I wouldnt in the future.  I love the look of them.   Yes, the right color lipstick, I think, is very important.

I hear you on needing different things at different stages in life.  Right now, my lips are okay, but I do see a difference in the crinkles/crepiness around my eyes.  ....and all of a sudden, eyeliner looks harsh on my eyes so I have been sheering it out some. I love eyeliner too.  Another reason not to stockpile, you just dont know when your perspective will change on things.

Good luck on the lipstick.  Some really beautiful colors out there

No plans to buy any lipstick until all my old glosses are gone.  Besides, it will take me that long to find a baby to borrow.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Oshare-girl- Awesome job on compacting that closet! Isn't it amazing the things we find when we actually start digging into the hidden areas of our homes?

We moved about 4 years ago so EVERYTHING was handled at that time. But I do still have a couple of totes that were just moved without opening them, mostly keepsakes and such, I should go thru those again. 

At least it sounds like you know what products you like and want to keep. My problem is that I still don't really know what core beauty products I want to keep here. I thought I was narrowing it down at least some when I started looking into possibly going cruelty free and realized that probably 1/2 of what I own is made by a company that still does animal testing. Covergirl, Ponds, Tresemme, all my go to brands. If I decide to switch products then that will be a lot of hit and miss again. Makeup won't be too bad I hope, but skin care could be. We will just have to wait and see how the process goes I guess. I'd love to help the animals, but I don't know how much frustration it will cause. 

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies a big congrats to hitting pan!!  That's so exciting!  I get a little thrill every morning when I open my pan that palette and see the pans showing.  You will too!

@FindingMyJoy I am doing the same thing, using 1 older palette with 1 newer palette.  I feel like I'm getting some use out of more of my stash.  It also helps to remind me not to buy any more eyeshadow because when will I ever get around to using it?

@Oshare-girl - you know the funny part, seeing that pan has given me some umpf to hit pan on as many as I can.  So, while, I use a variety of the shades in the palette, I am focusing on just a few a little bit more.

As soon as my month is up on this older palette, I will do the same as you ladies.  I will still use it with my palette of the month and concentrate on one color from it. 

@aprilskies I totally can relate.  I feel the same way.  Now that I have pan showing, I am reluctant to use anything else because I want to see that pan grow.  Knowing that the pan will keep me motivated makes me want to hit pan on even more shades.  Funny how the mind works.

Trusted Contributor

@sapphire 2 wrote:

just bee, thank you again for starting this thread. All of you inspire me so thanks to all of you.

Oshare-girl, would you consider donating that darling Christmas tree your mom made to a

day care or school for lots of kiddo's to enjoy???? Just a thought. (I gave dozens of beanie babies to my son's school librarian to use for prizes.)

@sapphire 2  That's a really good idea!  

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Oshare-girl- Awesome job on compacting that closet! Isn't it amazing the things we find when we actually start digging into the hidden areas of our homes?

We moved about 4 years ago so EVERYTHING was handled at that time. But I do still have a couple of totes that were just moved without opening them, mostly keepsakes and such, I should go thru those again. 

At least it sounds like you know what products you like and want to keep. My problem is that I still don't really know what core beauty products I want to keep here. I thought I was narrowing it down at least some when I started looking into possibly going cruelty free and realized that probably 1/2 of what I own is made by a company that still does animal testing. Covergirl, Ponds, Tresemme, all my go to brands. If I decide to switch products then that will be a lot of hit and miss again. Makeup won't be too bad I hope, but skin care could be. We will just have to wait and see how the process goes I guess. I'd love to help the animals, but I don't know how much frustration it will cause. 

@rnmom  Exactly, every move leaves some boxes totally unopened and untouched.  And we seem to be able to live without it for years.  So why is it so hard for me to just toss it or donate it in the first place?

My skin has been changing recently and I found that some of what I was using wasn't working anymore.  I bit the bullet and got rid of the foundation I was using and found the Perricone serum in the travel size.  And I'm finally ready to stop looking for the next great thing if what I have works.  I almost dread using up tried & true products because they become discontinued and the hunt for a replacement can be costly in time & money.  I tried going "green" last year but got couldn't find products that worked as well as my non-green products.  I ended up spending more than I wanted and also being disappointed in their performance.  So I still need to find the balance....  Good luck in your quest for cruelty-free!

Respected Contributor

Oshare-girl- Thanks! I know that there were will be lots of products in my home that are still not green or cruelty free, especially items like household cleaners, etc.  I don't really have the time or the money to try to replace everything that I get on sale at the grocery store with more expensive items and I don't have time to research everything right now. But I figured maybe I could start with something small like make-up. That should be relatively easy. I'm really not that fussy with most of my makeup, I already like Physicians Formula, Wet N Wild shadows, some e.l.f. I just need to find a replacement for my Covergirl foundation. Then maybe move onto skin care and/or body care if I can find reasonable priced replacements. 

I tried cleansing my face with just pure coconut oil last night and I have to say, that I really liked it! It just melted everything off and left my face feeling nice and soft. I liked it just as much as my old Ponds and it was even cheaper, a huge 16oz tub for around $7. Now I just need to use it a few more times to make sure I don't break out from it. I have one little blemish right now, so that doesn't count. I don't usually break out easily, I have very dry skin, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That would be awesome if it were that simple! I also have some jojoba oil and castor oil here that I bought to try for the oil cleansing method too. Cheap and simple if it works.