Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Count me in for the August no buy.   I will commit to all categories but clothes and shoes. Unfortunately, I do need some items and if I find anythng I love, it will be mine.  Clothes I love are hard to come by anymore.

On my skinn order, I actually cancelled the cleanser I added to my order to make the coupon limit. When I thought about it, I added 30 dollars I wasnt planning on spending to save 5 bucks. LOL.  And for a cleanser I didnt even know Iiked. It would of been different if it was tried and true. You gotta love it.

I finished a shampoo this morning. yayyyyyy!!  Another bottle bites the dust. it was a small 8 oz bottle. It was the coconut shampoo from Desert Essence.  It was my second bottle of it.  It was okay, not a repurchase. Several bottles to go.Smiley Happy

I would like to know- why is it when I organize and move things around so I can be more streamlined, I cant find anything?  Saturday, I rearranged some things and now I cant find what I am looking for.  oy vey

Your timing is excellent.  A nearby store has Desert Essence coconut conditioner on sale and I was considering it.  I think I'll just use up the last of the conditioners I have before I buy anything else.  Maybe by then I'll have all my hair chopped off -- who knows?

I hear ya on the whole organization thing.  I have stacks strategically placed throughout the house and Better-half, the minimalist, mocks my piles.  But when it comes to locating something, I can find it in seconds and he can't.  Probably because he threw it away and forgot.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- JULY!

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Count me in for the August no buy.   I will commit to all categories but clothes and shoes. Unfortunately, I do need some items and if I find anythng I love, it will be mine.  Clothes I love are hard to come by anymore.

On my skinn order, I actually cancelled the cleanser I added to my order to make the coupon limit. When I thought about it, I added 30 dollars I wasnt planning on spending to save 5 bucks. LOL.  And for a cleanser I didnt even know Iiked. It would of been different if it was tried and true. You gotta love it.

I finished a shampoo this morning. yayyyyyy!!  Another bottle bites the dust. it was a small 8 oz bottle. It was the coconut shampoo from Desert Essence.  It was my second bottle of it.  It was okay, not a repurchase. Several bottles to go.Smiley Happy

I would like to know- why is it when I organize and move things around so I can be more streamlined, I cant find anything?  Saturday, I rearranged some things and now I cant find what I am looking for.  oy vey

Your timing is excellent.  A nearby store has Desert Essence coconut conditioner on sale and I was considering it.  I think I'll just use up the last of the conditioners I have before I buy anything else.  Maybe by then I'll have all my hair chopped off -- who knows?

I hear ya on the whole organization thing.  I have stacks strategically placed throughout the house and Better-half, the minimalist, mocks my piles.  But when it comes to locating something, I can find it in seconds and he can't.  Probably because he threw it away and forgot.

Just Bee, the only thing I wil say I hear the conditioner is excellent.  I havent tried it because at one point I had so many conditioners and I only need a little little bit for my hair so I never purchased it.  I then gave up conditioner and got rid of mine only to return to them. Well, they came in sets so...... My hair is so dry so I figured it couldnt hurt to use it on my ends. In any case, I wont be needing conditioner for a very long time, but their coconut conditioner is one I would try. It does get great reviews. 

Check out Vitacost for some reviews.

I know, why is it when things are all over the place, they are easy to find but when they are put away, it is hard to find anything.  too funny

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Just Bee, the only thing I wil say I hear the conditioner is excellent.  I havent tried it because at one point I had so many conditioners and I only need a little little bit for my hair so I never purchased it.  I then gave up conditioner and got rid of mine only to return to them. Well, they came in sets so...... My hair is so dry so I figured it couldnt hurt to use it on my ends. In any case, I wont be needing conditioner for a very long time, but their coconut conditioner is one I would try. It does get great reviews. 

I know, why is it when things are all over the place, they are easy to find but when they are put away, it is hard to find anything.  too funny

Rats.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Here is the August no buy list, so far.  If I missed someone, please let me know.

RachB

Oshare-girl

rnmom

just bee

aprilskies

me

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Rats.

Lol.  The bright side if you do decide to buy it, they are relatively inexpensive and if you don't like it, they are small bottles that won't last forever. 

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Here is the August no buy list, so far.  If I missed someone, please let me know.

RachB

Oshare-girl

rnmom

just bee

aprilskies

me

I like this, now I feel committed.  It will help me stop chasing miracle hair products, which have been my latest obsession.  It is time to just use the miracle products I have. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Rats.

Lol.  The bright side if you do decide to buy it, they are relatively inexpensive and if you don't like it, they are small bottles that won't last forever. 

Well... it's not like I have 50 bottles of conditioner in the house.  I have the dregs of shear splendor in the shower and then a full 16-ouncer in the closet.  Got a smidge of Aveda's Shampure and what's left in a bottle of Organix keratin oil.  Also what's left in a tube of Aveda's clovePure grace has been downgraded to shaving product.

It isn't crucial.  It's $4.99 a tube.  We'll see.  But if I buy it, I'd better do it before August!

@Hmmm.  Before I went to sleep I saw a large spider on the wall and I decided to leave it there.  Now I have a bite on my arm.  @#$%^&*!

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- JULY!

[ Edited ]

Well, the good news is that so far this month I haven't spent much on unnecessary items. The bad news is that's because I've been miserably in pain. Without being boring with details, one night a few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night, got out of bed, put my foot on the floor and collapsed in pain. After a few weeks of excruciating pain every night, I caved and went to a chiropractor. Joints out of whack, pinched nerves and lots of swelling in the lower back/pelvis/hip areas. After several treatments I'm not pain-free yet, but at least it's down to a bearable level. Apparently I'm going to be spending most of the next few months at this guy's office, and leaving a fair amount of my life savings there too. So that's going to be incentive for me to watch my spending in other areas.

I have bought a few items the last few days from the Christmas in July programs. The old geezer and I no longer exchange gifts, but I do like to give to a few close friends and the professionals I use during the year--mostly food items. I also ended up getting a few more tops to wear to doctor visits. I've found that my cotton tunics and leggings I wear for exercising work the best for his clicking and cracking my body. But I normally don't wear that kind of outfit in public so my around-the-house tops are rather shabby.

One thing that has come about from this episode is that some of the superficial stuff I'm normally concerned about went right out of my head. Like makeup, for instance. I don't wear much anymore anyway, but I had always felt I needed to wear at least a little when I went out in public. Now, that doesn't matter to me anymore. Not only did I not feel well enough to care about that, but I found during the second visit to the chiropractor that wearing foundation was futile--it all ended up on the tissue paper my face was jammed into anyway.

So that's where the bulk of my money will be going for the next several months. That's yet another good reason not to spend indiscriminately--you never know when you might need that extra money for something really important.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, the good news is that so far this month I haven't spent much on unnecessary items. The bad news is that's because I've been miserably in pain. Without being boring with details, one night a few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night, got out of bed, put my foot on the floor and collapsed in pain. After a few weeks of excruciating pain every night, I caved and went to a chiropractor. Joints out of whack, pinched nerves and lots of swelling in the lower back/pelvis/hip areas. After several treatments I'm not pain-free yet, but at least it's down to a bearable level. Apparently I'm going to be spending most of the next few months at this guy's office, and leaving a fair amount of my life savings there too. So that's going to be incentive for me to watch my spending in other areas.

I have bought a few items the last few days from the Christmas in July programs. The old geezer and I no longer exchange gifts, but I do like to give to a few close friends and the professionals I use during the year--mostly food items. I also ended up getting a few more tops to wear to doctor visits. I've found that my cotton tunics and leggings I wear for exercising work the best for his clicking and cracking my body. But I normally don't wear that kind of outfit in public so my around-the-house tops are rather shabby.

One thing that has come about from this episode is that some of the superficial stuff I'm normally concerned about went right out of my head. Like makeup, for instance. I don't wear much anymore anyway, but I had always felt I needed to wear at least a little when I went out in public. Now, that doesn't matter to me anymore. Not only did I not feel well enough to care about that, but I found during the second visit to the chiropractor that wearing foundation was futile--it all ended up on the tissue paper my face was jammed into anyway.

So that's where the bulk of my money will be going for the next several months. That's yet another good reason not to spend indiscriminately--you never know when you might need that extra money for something really important.

True that.  I suspect that when you get to a certain age, you're always waiting for a shoe or two to drop.  It's a steady state of paranoia.  What's going to break?  What's going to fail?  What's going to go wrong?

I'm definitely living in that world.  I sure would like to order that pair of shoes I don't need, but wouldn't it be better to just squirrel that money away just in case?  JUST IN CASE.  Suddenly your whole life is just in case.

I was wondering why you'd been keeping such a low profile lately.  Thought maybe you were supervising the dog and cat situation full time.  But you, as usual, are the keeper of wisdom.  As you say, when the unexpected does happen, our priorities shift.  And the shift always makes sense -- so why didn't we get that before?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

True that.  I suspect that when you get to a certain age, you're always waiting for a shoe or two to drop.  It's a steady state of paranoia.  What's going to break?  What's going to fail?  What's going to go wrong?

I'm definitely living in that world.  I sure would like to order that pair of shoes I don't need, but wouldn't it be better to just squirrel that money away just in case?  JUST IN CASE.  Suddenly your whole life is just in case.

I was wondering why you'd been keeping such a low profile lately.  Thought maybe you were supervising the dog and cat situation full time.  But you, as usual, are the keeper of wisdom.  As you say, when the unexpected does happen, our priorities shift.  And the shift always makes sense -- so why didn't we get that before?

Actually, the dog/cat situation appears to have been solved.  (Fingers crossed)  Her energy has changed and the cat no longer seems to be threatened by her.  He wanders around the house whenever he pleases, although he still does enjoy it better when she's gone.  Outside is a different matter, one that still needs work.

I had been looking in here once in a while but just didn't feel up to responding. As you say, my priorities had shifted overnight.  I had thought I wouldn't have to deal with anything like this for another ten years or so, but surprise. It's definitely a wake-up call.  Now I have no choice but to get serious about taking care of myself.  This stuff doesn't happen to me, I don't do anything or take any chances to have bad stuff happen.  But bad stuff can find you, no matter where you're hiding.  I don't mean to make this out like its terminal or anything, but it's been bad enough long enough to be 

that "tap on the shoulder" that everyone gets from time to time.  So many things have been swirling through my mind: mistakes I've made in the past, how to live in what's left of my future, what really is important to me?

But I'm pretty sure that once I'm not hurting so badly, I'll be worried about getting my foundation on again.  Then one day you just run out of time to worry about anything.   

Boy, that sure was cheery for a Beauty thread, eh?  Maybe I'd better be quiet until I feel up to snuff again!

(I'll give you an update on the dog later.)