Trusted Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@dosey you're on! I'll join the August pact!

@Rachb  Yay!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I can't believe July is already half done!!! It's been crazy month BUT I've been good avoiding beauty purchases.

Oh boy there has been temptations including a new Korres body butter scent that seems perfect for me....didn't buy it! All of the Skinn love around here had me watching some of the shows....didn't buy anything - although the double kit did get put into a shopping cart then deleted before hitting submit.

The only beauty item I bought was a drugstore cleanser since my current only bottle is nearing the bottom. That's pretty darn impressive for me.

I've been having a bit of fun this Summer! I took July 4th week off and did a staycation. It was fabulous Summer weather so I got up every morning and enjoyed a super nice walk outside. Wow I miss fresh Summer air when I'm cooped up at work. Why don't companies have any windows that open??? Just think how productivity could go up if they would at least flush the place out with fresh air every once in a while.

I'm a nerd - proud to admit it LOL. Today, I went to a local museum for a mummies exhibit. I really enjoyed it. It was nice learning something new and completely NOT work related. I think I miss learning stuff for fun? Anyone else feel the same way?

I guess I'm a nerd, too.  I'd love to go to a mummy exhibit.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

I am finding July to be a difficult no-buy month too.  I haven't bought makeup but picked up some skincare and clothes.  I bought the Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum at the Dermstore 30% off sale.  I break out during that time of the month and the scars have been very dark and don't fade.  I'm hoping the vit C serum will help.  I also just ordered one bottle of the bareminerals cleansing oil that I thought was discontinued.  It's on last call plus an additional 40% off and I really like it.  I hate that things get discontinued when I like them, then I search for a replacement going thru several products until I find something else that works.  So since this is still temporarily available, I jumped at the opportunity.  I'm counting it as a victory because I only bought one.  I'm using one and this will be my only backup.

Like everyone else, I have enough of everything else.  

I cleaned out my closet & drawers to get rid of the items I wasn't wearing.  I picked up several tops that are more flattering to my current body.  Upper arms and tummy bulge are my issues and fortunately, they are easily camouflaged.

Yes, school supply shopping is coming up.  I'm probably going to buy half of what is on the list.  When school ended, DS brought home 32 of the 36 pencils that were on the list!  He mainly uses mechanical pencils so all these wooden ones were unused.  He also brought home half of the kleenex, paper towels and folder paper that was "required".  

I'll join the August no-buy!  There is absolutely nothing I need.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!!

I did some serious damage this month, especially this past weekend with the Skinn anniversary shows!  I knew I was going to spend, and spend I did! I definitely added to the stash this weekend! My only justification is that I'm hoping the products will last me many months, if not a year. I will have to fill in with a few items here and there, but I hope I got all of my core items covered for a long time to come. And I tried to make sure to buy products that I think I will actually use, even though I was really tempted to try a bunch of other things too, I tried not to just buy because something was a good deal. (Everything was a good deal!) And I did go thru and toss a few items that I just don't care for, so that helped a tiny bit. 

I also stocked up on haircare during the Ulta jumbo sales, so I should be set there for a while too. I can't think of another thing I need, or even want, right now, so I will join you in a NO buy for August! I should be able to at least get thru one month, unless something really unexpected comes up!!

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- JULY!

[ Edited ]

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I can't believe July is already half done!!! It's been crazy month BUT I've been good avoiding beauty purchases.

Oh boy there has been temptations including a new Korres body butter scent that seems perfect for me....didn't buy it! All of the Skinn love around here had me watching some of the shows....didn't buy anything - although the double kit did get put into a shopping cart then deleted before hitting submit.

The only beauty item I bought was a drugstore cleanser since my current only bottle is nearing the bottom. That's pretty darn impressive for me.

I've been having a bit of fun this Summer! I took July 4th week off and did a staycation. It was fabulous Summer weather so I got up every morning and enjoyed a super nice walk outside. Wow I miss fresh Summer air when I'm cooped up at work. Why don't companies have any windows that open??? Just think how productivity could go up if they would at least flush the place out with fresh air every once in a while.

I'm a nerd - proud to admit it LOL. Today, I went to a local museum for a mummies exhibit. I really enjoyed it. It was nice learning something new and completely NOT work related. I think I miss learning stuff for fun? Anyone else feel the same way?

A few years ago, on my birthday, I went to the dead bodies exhibit!

Bodies: The Exhibition

ETA:

It coincided with one of my Anatomy and Physiology courses, so the timing was perfect.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- JULY!

[ Edited ]

@sundrops wrote:

Hey dosey!!  It's nice to know that you wondered what happened to me!  lol

Just bee, its been real hard finding a good pizza like we had in Chicago.  We haven't been to Corrales yet to the pizza place up there. Dions seems to be eaten the most often. Its alright but not as good as back home. My DH will be going to his first Isotopes game this Thursday. I havent gone yet. We went to a UNM  Lobo football game last fall.  My mom came visiting in June and we went to Old Town and on the Trolley Tour. We went up to Madrid, down to the Railyards Market. DH and I get to El Pinto for happyhour ocassionally with friends. We tend to eat out local and DH likes Fox and Hounds, Bubbas, you know, that style of sport bar kinda place. Hey, I'm just happy I don't have to cook. I'll go anywhere.  Its been so hot that we haven't been bicycling as much as we would like. We have a pool in our community that we enjoy alot. The dog is hanging in there, but doesn't do too well in the heat. I have 2 baggies of green chile left in the freezer, I'll be getting more in late August when my bro's girlfriend  flies in to get her's. She gets dry ice and brings it back to her home in Florida. She can't be without it!  Well, take care. I hope I filled you in on my life here. Besides work, just hanging out!!

I was going to ask you if you'd been to Madrid!  We haven't been to the Railyards, but it's on the list of things to do.  We haven't biked in ages, but one of the routes we like starts at the bosque on Alameda (the paved walking/biking path) and goes all the way to the zoo.  That's a good stretch.  One you might try in October when it gets a little cooler.

Sounds like you have your green chile connection.  We have to work on pizza now.  I grew up on Chicago pizza (Gullivers in the '60s -- it would take hours to have one delivered from Howard Street to Sheridan Road and Columbia) and although Dion's is a nice little company and so convenient, too, their pizza cannot satisfy a Chicago girl's pizza fantasy.  Village Pizza also reminds me of my favorite pizza places in California so Better-half and I have finally committed to making it our go-to pizza place.  In fact, I polished off the last two slices yesterday.  Two slices is pushing it -- that's how generous they are with their ingredients.  Good sauce, cheeses and dough.  No little hamster bits of bell peppers.  Geographically, their Rio Grande location (3851 Rio Grande Blvd NW) may be closer to you.  I haven't been there -- Corrales is easy for us because we're in Paradise Hills.

http://villagepizzacorrales.com/menu/

We usually order the Village Combo and sometimes skip the hamburger.  Not a fan of hamburger on my pizza so they'll toss on extra Italian sausage.  All we have to do is decide if we want hot or mild chile, or hot or mild sausage.  The combo: Smoked ham, pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, hot or mild green chile, bell peppers, red onions, ground beef and hot or mild sausage.

Greg's Albuquerque the Magazine Combo is also a good choice:

Pepperoni, Canadian bacon, hot or mild green chile, mushrooms, red onions, minced garlic, mild sausage, red bell peppers and artichokes.

Since we had just eaten a lot of Mediterranean-inspired food this week (Better-half rolled out a new dish), he skipped Greg's combo and brought home a different combo of his choice.  I've been wanting to order something I haven't had in years -- something we used to have when we first moved out: Pizza Blanco (ricotta, olive oil and garlic).  Maybe this fall...

If you go there for pick-up, cover your car seat with a plastic trash bag just in case the box leaks.  These are substantial pizzas.  Quality ingredients.  I want a full report after you try Village.

Combo

(I do like their crust.  And it passes the cold pizza test with flying colors.  Don't do their pizza buffet.  The buffet pizza is not representative of their combos.)

Keep checking in!

ETA:

How’s the dog adjusting?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Gee, dead bodies and pizza.  Maybe I should clear off some of what's on the DVR, starting with The Making of the Mob.  Season 2 has started and I haven't even watched Season 1.

I'll climb on the bandwagon for August.  I should buy a new pair of spectacles, but I've been dragging my heels.  And I should head over to my eye doctor today to see if she still has that weird red angular titanium frame.

Well -- gotta get the dog to the bosque.  Later!

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I guess I'm a nerd, too.  I'd love to go to a mummy exhibit.

Count me in for the nerd club. I have been to one before and thought it was a cool exhibit.  Would go again.

I agree, Findmyjoy, learning stuff for fun seems to have taken a backseat.  I think it is time to revisit this lost practice. 

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

On to my closet.  I am really loving my new job and think I will be there for a while.  Now, I need to address all of my casual clothes.  I simply do not need as much as I own, but I am having a hard time letting go.  Why is that?  Is it because I like what I have?  Should I just put myself on a no buy for casual clothes until what I have is worn out?  As my DD would say, "First world problems."

If your closets arent crammed and everything fits and is nice, I wouldnt get rid of it even though you may have too much.  If you dont need it all I would pack some of it up and have as backup.  I have been looking for some nice clothes and I have to tell you, I am not finding much I love out there. Maybe it is just me, I dont know.

Respected Contributor

Count me in for the August no buy.   I will commit to all categories but clothes and shoes. Unfortunately, I do need some items and if I find anythng I love, it will be mine.  Clothes I love are hard to come by anymore.

On my skinn order, I actually cancelled the cleanser I added to my order to make the coupon limit. When I thought about it, I added 30 dollars I wasnt planning on spending to save 5 bucks. LOL.  And for a cleanser I didnt even know Iiked. It would of been different if it was tried and true. You gotta love it.

I finished a shampoo this morning. yayyyyyy!!  Another bottle bites the dust. it was a small 8 oz bottle. It was the coconut shampoo from Desert Essence.  It was my second bottle of it.  It was okay, not a repurchase. Several bottles to go.Smiley Happy

I would like to know- why is it when I organize and move things around so I can be more streamlined, I cant find anything?  Saturday, I rearranged some things and now I cant find what I am looking for.  oy vey