Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Just bee and aprilskies:

Your confessions make me feel embarrassed.  I also purchased something I didn't need, only mine was about 10 times the amount of yours, just bee.  I was doing so well this month, too!  Only necessities.  Until this past week when I was thinking that I didn't really like the purse I bought recently and was browsing the websites.  (I've been on the hunt for "the perfect purse" for about 40 years now and haven't found it yet.). Of course, I ran across something I liked on a site that just happened to have a sale going--with the dreaded free shipping too, naturally.  But it was the last day of the sale.  Now I don't do well making snap decisions and have vowed never to do so. But the last day!  A sale!  Free shipping!

Yes, I succumbed.  I now have yet not one, but two hopefuls on their way to my door.  I just donated three bags last week, along with some shoes I bought a couple of years ago that I never wore.  There goes that empty space in my closet.  

However, since I'm already regretting the purchase and haven't even received them yet, I still can return.  Me footing the postage, of course.

I need to save all my return postage receipts and pull them out and add them up before I go browsing the internet again.

At least,  your splurge was on something you will get years of good use out of.  I can't believe I spent so much on a few items. Items with expiration dates. I usually have a self imposed ceiling on certain items and it went completely out the window. I am so surprised with myself. I wish I bought I pocketbook, which I need.  And do you think I have replaced my drivers side visor? No, of course not, why spend on items that can make my life easier.  Although, that just reminded me, I need to order one since the sunshine is bound to show up sometime. 

I hope those bags work out for you. One of them at least. I still haven't found a bag I like.

I'm almost 57 and I never found the perfect purse.  Didn't keep me from trying and buying, though.  It's like wearing glasses.  Sometimes I'll try on a frame and think it was designed by someone who has never ever worn glasses.  Who designs some of these purses?

I gave them up and I haven't looked back.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Pardon me while I swoon.

Now there's an argument for exercising caution at the fragrance counter.  Have you ever gone to a department store or a fragrance shop and tested a few scents?  First of all, you're not supposed to sniff all those in one trip.  Yes, I've been stupid enough to do that, then go home and sniff myself hours later and discover I've found the perfect fragrance.  Problem is I have no idea what I've sprayed on myself.  Worse is when you spray something, like it, and buy it on the spot.  Then a few hours later you can't stand the smell of yourself and you have a $100 bottle of something you never want to smell again.

The British Sterling smells nothing like the stuff I grew up on.  But now that the initial stench has faded, this new formulation smells like soap.  And it's fading fast.  No staying power.  But it isn't offensive.

Vanderbilt is very soapy and powdery, with just enough spice to be interesting.  I couldn't wait and had to go sniff the Toujours Moi.  I was back in the 70s in a flash.  Didn't spray it on myself, though, so I won't know if it will be the same on my skin.  Couldn't figure out Chantilly or Navy.  I'll have to wait until later.  Or tomorrow.

I'll put something on before I go to sleep and see if I like it when I wake up.

Boy, I've been spending a lot of time reading the fragrance websites and I'm reminded of all the scents I used to buy.  Totally forgot about Hope by Frances Denney.  I think I wore Interlude, too.  I have a whole list going.  Some of them have been discontinued (like Todd Oldham).

What are you wearing these days?

My favorite is Philosophy Amazing Grace.  I was surprised to see that it's having its 20th anniversary.  I've been wearing it for 19 out of 20 of those years.  It's one that I can wear anywhere, even to church or crowded places without getting dirty looks.

I also love L'Occitane's Green Tea & Mint, which is discontinued.  I'm using my last bottle of it.  So sad...

My "fancy" scent is Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin.  And my newest scent is Stella's L'eau, a lighter version of her original.  I wasn't a rose person before, but now it's growing on me.  Her version is light but not sweet.  I can't handle sweet, vanilla, cotton-candy scents.  I wish I could cause the bottles are so cute, but my nose can't see.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Dosey, love those dishes!  I have a thing for earthy neutrals.  But I do love all white dishes too, Bee.  I have a set of clear glass dishes, which we use daily and a set of white dishes which we use when we have people over.  We have a few handmade ceramic bowls similar to Dosey's set, but one by one they are breaking.  Makes me sad when they break.  They are the perfect sized bowls and they were my MIL's.  She had great taste.

Makes you want to tuck one away and save it, huh?  It's a tribute to her that you love them and use them.  But that temptation to keep one safe is still there.

I've used unusual bowls as planters.  But that combination of dirt and water doesn't protect them from wear.  I've put bowls I want to "save" up over my kitchen cupboards as decor.  I have a small, odd bowl in a glass case in the great room.

That urge to save and protect is strong.  What is that gene?  Good thing I didn't have kids.  I might not have let them out of the house!

It must be a female gene.  My DH doesn't seem to have it.  He loves his mom's bowls too but doesn't seem too disturbed when they break.  I was trying to come up with a use for the broken bowl, but he tossed it in the trash.  I guess he has been compacting much longer than I realized.  He doesn't get sentimental with "stuff".  As for the kids, I'm trying to train them to be able to save & protect us in our old age.  The best way to save & protect kids is to train them to be responsible citizens.  

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Confession time...I bought a lot of lip products this month.  The lippies I picked up in Japan got me hooked!  Hopefully I will use them up quickly since they are on the sheer side.  I also picked up the UDxGwen Stefani blush palette (on sale, but still...I will never run out of blush at this rate).  I always thought of Gwen as my contemporary.  She was so cool (I was not) and close to my age.  It's neat to see her "grow up" with me.  I'm also the same age as Hello Kitty...I'm obsessed with her too.  Wait, Gwen Stefani & Hello Kitty were not meant to be confessions.  Just a little off topic.

On the bright side, I hit pan on 4 eyeshadows this month!  And finished 2 lipsticks.  I may have "cleaned" them a lot (aka swiping them on a tissue after every use) to help along the usage.  But hey, they were pushing 3 years old and I had to get them out of the stash.  I have new lippies to use, after all.

Famolare shoes!  Only the cool kids had them.  I didn't own a pair but I totally wanted one.

It's the start of a new month so I will start a new lippie.  Actually, I have a half-used one that I want to finish by the end of May.  It's an oldie but goodie, Laura Mercier Sheer lipstick in Baby Lips.

Well, if it's true that Famolare is back, you can finally have a pair!  Chances are you're too smart now and would never go there.  I donated my fake Famolares because I'm afraid of heights.

Talk about confessions...

I worked in retail when I first got out of college in the 80s.  After a stint managing a bookstore, I went to work for an office supply, Hallmark and gift item company.  We had an enormous Hello Kitty display and I spent hours trying to keep it organized.  Sets would be torn asunder by customers of all ages and I'd often stick stray pieces in my pockets to get them out of the display.  One of those items came home with me.  It was a small pale blue heart-shaped mirror that was originally in a little vanity set.  This was more than 30 years go and I still have that mirror.  I put it in my scrubs pocket with a lip balm before I go to work.  The design on the back has worn off and the glue that held the mirror to the plastic heart is long gone.  I've been taping it together for years.  Back when I started working in the hospital we had patient charts and chart tape.  I used red chart tape to repair it and that tape finally wore out.  We have electronic charts now so I'm using Scotch tape.

So why do I, at age 56, still carry an ancient Hello Kitty mirror in my pocket?

Kitty

This is close to what it once was.  Different design, of course, but now I can't even remember which characters were on it.  May have been Kitty and some of her friends.  Thirty years later, even the blue base color is wearing off.

That's true, I can't & wouldn't wear Famolare sandals now.  My parents were wiser than I realized back then.  They knew it was totally impractical.  They looked like they weighted 5 lbs each.  Did they?

I'm pretty sure I had a mirror like that at some point.  At least you are still using it.  Only you (and us) know that it was once plastered with HK & friends.  When MAC and Sephora collaborated with HK, I had to get something from each collection.  The MAC lip balm was so cute but I was "saving" it.  I tossed it when I started compacting.  The Sephora palettes were actually pretty good, but I had so many palettes that I never used them.  I also decluttered them when I started compacting.  Did I learn my lesson when the UDxGwen Stefani collab came around?  NO....  I do have much less in my stash now so I am actually using the stuff.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- April

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

Just bee, I also donated all of my fragrances but two.  I have J'Adore, which I find too strong.  I loved the sample, it was light, but the full size is much stronger.  I have it now for years just sitting there.  I also have Bobbi Browns Beach.  Then just a few body sprays.  I need to get using them. 

Dosey, those plates are pretty. I like earth tones and they look to be a nice size. It is always nice to freshen things up.  

Oshare-girl, you and FindingmyJoy and Dosey, give me inspiration to hit pan and try and finish products. I think I might even be close on a white eyeshadow.  I use the same one everyday. ...and have a good dip on another.  I flip flop on the panning but my new strategy is just working on a few colors at a time and pulling in other palettes. 

I am almost done with a few products and am getting antsy.  You get down to the bottom and they don't want to end. I did regret throwing out an eyeliner.  It seemed dried up but I think I should of just cut the tip as I did on another.  Although, these eyeliners don't stay in place. None of mine seem too, does anyone have one they love that doesn't move? 

aprilskies, you can do it!  I hit pan on 2 shadows from my pan that palette, which I use everyday.  The other 2 that I hit pan on were from shadows that I have been working on for a couple of YEARS.  The best thing about hitting pan is that there is visual progress from that point.  It's like daily motivation to keep using those shadows to see the pan grow.

I do get antsy on lip products.  When they have only a couple of mm's left, I just toss them because they have gotten good use.  And by that point, they are already a couple of years old and should be tossed.  I have 3 more lippies that are at that 2 year mark.  After those are done, I will have a fresh collection of products that are within 1 year old.

And finally, eyeliner.  I discovered Colour Pop and have a gel eyeliner that I use to tightline with.  It's been really great, budge-proof so far.  And it was only $6!  It's even cheaper than Maybelline's gel eyeliner.  But they are only available online.  There's a flash sale going on right now and their site has crashed, but once it's working, you should check them out.  I have tried their lippie stix, brow products, eyeliners, and eyeshadows over the last 2 years.  I don't care for the eyeshadows but the rest are really nice.  Everything is $8 and under and free shipping at $30.  I'm sorry for enabling! 

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- April

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

My favorite is Philosophy Amazing Grace.  I was surprised to see that it's having its 20th anniversary.  I've been wearing it for 19 out of 20 of those years.  It's one that I can wear anywhere, even to church or crowded places without getting dirty looks.

I really wanted amazing grace to be my signature scent but it's just too floral for me.  I recently took a small shower gel out of the stash and am using it as hand soap just to finish it up.  Pure grace is a better choice, although when I wore amazing grace I received so many compliments.  Unfortunately, florals don't work on my skin.
~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Dosey, love those dishes!  I have a thing for earthy neutrals.  But I do love all white dishes too, Bee.  I have a set of clear glass dishes, which we use daily and a set of white dishes which we use when we have people over.  We have a few handmade ceramic bowls similar to Dosey's set, but one by one they are breaking.  Makes me sad when they break.  They are the perfect sized bowls and they were my MIL's.  She had great taste.

Makes you want to tuck one away and save it, huh?  It's a tribute to her that you love them and use them.  But that temptation to keep one safe is still there.

I've used unusual bowls as planters.  But that combination of dirt and water doesn't protect them from wear.  I've put bowls I want to "save" up over my kitchen cupboards as decor.  I have a small, odd bowl in a glass case in the great room.

That urge to save and protect is strong.  What is that gene?  Good thing I didn't have kids.  I might not have let them out of the house!

It must be a female gene.  My DH doesn't seem to have it.  He loves his mom's bowls too but doesn't seem too disturbed when they break.  I was trying to come up with a use for the broken bowl, but he tossed it in the trash.  I guess he has been compacting much longer than I realized.  He doesn't get sentimental with "stuff".  As for the kids, I'm trying to train them to be able to save & protect us in our old age.  The best way to save & protect kids is to train them to be responsible citizens.  

Better-half is the same way.  He lacks the sentimental gene and attaches no importance to "stuff."  If it doesn't have an immediate purpose it has no place in his life.  He could walk away from this house and everything in it.  I was hoping that would rub off on me, but it hasn't.  Every item has significance, every item has a memory.

I've had a plant in the kitchen window and it blossoms every spring.  A coworker gave it to us when my Boxer died.  That was over twenty years ago.  I've known this plant longer than some people have known other humans.  I told Better-half that we've had this plant for over twenty years and I can tell that he really doesn't give a fig.  To him, it's just something that gets in his way at the sink.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Just bee, I also donated all of my fragrances but two.  I have J'Adore, which I find too strong.  I loved the sample, it was light, but the full size is much stronger.  I have it now for years just sitting there.  I also have Bobbi Browns Beach.  Then just a few body sprays.  I need to get using them. 

Dosey, those plates are pretty. I like earth tones and they look to be a nice size. It is always nice to freshen things up.  

Oshare-girl, you and FindingmyJoy and Dosey, give me inspiration to hit pan and try and finish products. I think I might even be close on a white eyeshadow.  I use the same one everyday. ...and have a good dip on another.  I flip flop on the panning but my new strategy is just working on a few colors at a time and pulling in other palettes. 

I am almost done with a few products and am getting antsy.  You get down to the bottom and they don't want to end. I did regret throwing out an eyeliner.  It seemed dried up but I think I should of just cut the tip as I did on another.  Although, these eyeliners don't stay in place. None of mine seem too, does anyone have one they love that doesn't move? 

I wish I could recommend an eyeliner but cannot.  I am using my last one.  It is okay but not fantastic.  Soon, I will start looking for one that is creamy, lasts all day, and draws a fine (but not too fine) line.  Maybe one of those gel pencils.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I only use Maybelline's ExpertWear eye and brow pencils as eyeliner.  The cheap red duo.  They do have some staying power, that's for sure, but they go on awful harsh.  Not creamy, not smooth.  Old school makeup.  Back when it had to hurt to be pretty. Woman Wink

OMGOSH!!!  I cannot use those red pencils!  Ouch!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Pardon me while I swoon.

Now there's an argument for exercising caution at the fragrance counter.  Have you ever gone to a department store or a fragrance shop and tested a few scents?  First of all, you're not supposed to sniff all those in one trip.  Yes, I've been stupid enough to do that, then go home and sniff myself hours later and discover I've found the perfect fragrance.  Problem is I have no idea what I've sprayed on myself.  Worse is when you spray something, like it, and buy it on the spot.  Then a few hours later you can't stand the smell of yourself and you have a $100 bottle of something you never want to smell again.

The British Sterling smells nothing like the stuff I grew up on.  But now that the initial stench has faded, this new formulation smells like soap.  And it's fading fast.  No staying power.  But it isn't offensive.

Vanderbilt is very soapy and powdery, with just enough spice to be interesting.  I couldn't wait and had to go sniff the Toujours Moi.  I was back in the 70s in a flash.  Didn't spray it on myself, though, so I won't know if it will be the same on my skin.  Couldn't figure out Chantilly or Navy.  I'll have to wait until later.  Or tomorrow.

I'll put something on before I go to sleep and see if I like it when I wake up.

Boy, I've been spending a lot of time reading the fragrance websites and I'm reminded of all the scents I used to buy.  Totally forgot about Hope by Frances Denney.  I think I wore Interlude, too.  I have a whole list going.  Some of them have been discontinued (like Todd Oldham).

I also love L'Occitane's Green Tea & Mint, which is discontinued.  I'm using my last bottle of it.  So sad...

My "fancy" scent is Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin.  And my newest scent is Stella's L'eau, a lighter version of her original.  I wasn't a rose person before, but now it's growing on me.  Her version is light but not sweet.  I can't handle sweet, vanilla, cotton-candy scents.  I wish I could cause the bottles are so cute, but my nose can't see.

I wish I had a Jo Malone counter near me.  I've read such nice things about the fragrances.

Paws and enjoy life.