Honored Contributor

ComPact 2016 -- April

[ Edited ]

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Not only a new month, but April begins a new quarter.  Toss and replace your quarterly items like mascara, toothbrushes, sponges -- whatever!

It's almost like starting a new year, so you can forget those end-of-winter indiscretions and begin anew!

And be careful out there: It's April 1st.  Won't get fooled again...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, JustBee, for starting our month out.  Trying so hard for a no-buy April.  I sure do not need anything, but tires for my car.  Tires seem to be the only thing I don't accumlate and hoard.  BTW, when the forums changed, I didn't realize there was a way to bypass the need to choose a new posting name; I am still Beauty$Junkie.  I so appreciate all of you.  Wishing you all a great April.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, hostess bee, for the April thread!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

Once again, the bee is on the ball!

I hope to do as well, if not better, this month of April as I did in March. Only a couple of splurges. I did spend a lot of money, but most was on necessities. My computer was fast needing to be replaced but since I really mostly use it for Internet access nowadays, I opted to replace it with an iPad instead. (I've had it with Microsoft's antics lately and was ready to do without internet altogether than to give them more of my money and sanity.) So if I have more errors than usual in my posts it's because I'm still getting used to this device. I also got a smartphone. (H*ll has frozen over and pigs are flying.) I've had it for about two weeks and have already decided not to get another one. I rarely use it even for the phone part, let alone the 'smart' part. And I can't hear any better on it than our little prepaid flip phone! So much for my foray into the modern world of what's happening now.

One of my unnecessary splurges was a purse. I've given up my large expensive bags and now carry smaller crossbody bags because I've gotten so ditsy that I'm afraid I'll leave my purse (that now has an expensive smartphone in it) somewhere and walk off without it. Anyway, I've given up being concerned about a million and one things, but one thing I still can't do is carry a black purse in the summer. So, I broke down and ordered a bone bag that I've been eyeing for a couple of seasons. Much like some of you, I didn't jump right on it, but did eventually cave in to temptation. But on the bright side, it's been the only new item I've purchased (so far) this spring.

My other semi-splurge was a bag of high-end dog food. (See how my priorities have changed.) I'm not convinced that spending double for dog food is worth it for a dog that eats bushes and rocks and sticks by the pound, but we'll see. I also ended up getting a couple of filters for my vacuum which was much cheaper than getting a new vacuum.

Wow, just re-reading this I realize what a boring life I truly do lead.

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Thanks so much, JustBee, for starting our month out.  Trying so hard for a no-buy April.  I sure do not need anything, but tires for my car.  Tires seem to be the only thing I don't accumlate and hoard.  BTW, when the forums changed, I didn't realize there was a way to bypass the need to choose a new posting name; I am still Beauty$Junkie.  I so appreciate all of you.  Wishing you all a great April.

Backatcha!

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Thanks, hostess bee, for the April thread!

Here's to a successful month!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I hope to do as well, if not better, this month of April as I did in March. Only a couple of splurges. I did spend a lot of money, but most was on necessities. My computer was fast needing to be replaced but since I really mostly use it for Internet access nowadays, I opted to replace it with an iPad instead. (I've had it with Microsoft's antics lately and was ready to do without internet altogether than to give them more of my money and sanity.) So if I have more errors than usual in my posts it's because I'm still getting used to this device. I also got a smartphone. (H*ll has frozen over and pigs are flying.) I've had it for about two weeks and have already decided not to get another one. I rarely use it even for the phone part, let alone the 'smart' part. And I can't hear any better on it than our little prepaid flip phone! So much for my foray into the modern world of what's happening now.

One of my unnecessary splurges was a purse. I've given up my large expensive bags and now carry smaller crossbody bags because I've gotten so ditsy that I'm afraid I'll leave my purse (that now has an expensive smartphone in it) somewhere and walk off without it. Anyway, I've given up being concerned about a million and one things, but one thing I still can't do is carry a black purse in the summer. So, I broke down and ordered a bone bag that I've been eyeing for a couple of seasons. Much like some of you, I didn't jump right on it, but did eventually cave in to temptation. But on the bright side, it's been the only new item I've purchased (so far) this spring.

My other semi-splurge was a bag of high-end dog food. (See how my priorities have changed.) I'm not convinced that spending double for dog food is worth it for a dog that eats bushes and rocks and sticks by the pound, but we'll see. I also ended up getting a couple of filters for my vacuum which was much cheaper than getting a new vacuum.

Who's in who's head?  I liked the flip phone, hate the not-so-smart phone (if it was so darn smart it would be smaller and wouid fit in a pocket so I wouldn't have to start carrying a tote bag to tote it), and my dog is currently eating Fromm's Hasen Duckenpfeffer.  Your life isn't boring -- your life is my life.

Wait.  You're right.  Your life is boring! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Who's in who's head?  I liked the flip phone, hate the not-so-smart phone (if it was so darn smart it would be smaller and wouid fit in a pocket so I wouldn't have to start carrying a tote bag to tote it), and my dog is currently eating Fromm's Hasen Duckenpfeffer.  Your life isn't boring -- your life is my life.

Wait.  You're right.  Your life is boring! Woman Wink

Boring is good, especially given the craziness that's going on out in the 'real' world.  I'll take boring any day.  And a dog.  

Honored Contributor

I love my boring life. My only purchase last month was a pair of white lace covered Keds for $24.99 on sale. I am trying to use up lip balms, lotions, and soaps. I will not buy more until  they are gone.