Trusted Contributor

Oh @dosey, I'm so sorry about your DS.  It hurts when our kids are hurting.  You're doing all you can and will be there when he's ready to really open up.  Also, how's the new job?  Hope you are still having a good time!

So no-buy-August is in full swing.  Good thing I'm not buying because my kids have birthday parties to attend and gifts need to be purchased this month.  At the end of July I did cave and order from Glossier.  Their concealer & boy brow finally came in stock after months of being out of stock.  I was disappointed with a UD Nak*d Skin concealer so I was looking for something to replace it.  The first day I wore the UD concealer, the receptionist asked me if I was tired. She said it was the first time she's seen me look tired.  Gr, it was the concealer.

We're going to Portland in the fall and I'm so excited, I'm working on my packing list already.  I wanted to take a smaller more portable palette with me and since it's a no-buy month, I shopped my stash.  I broke open a Lorac skinny eyeshadow palette that I bought during the holidays but never used.  Love it!  I can't wait to go and get away from this unbearable heat.  Hope everyone's keeping cool.

I haven't committed to going gray yet...I just colored my hair again.  That skunk's white line down my part gets me every time.  I need to come up with a strategy.  Maybe I should go with the gray/silver hair trend.  The young girls are bleaching their hair and coloring it gray/silver.  If I do that, then my true hair color won't be so shocking later.     

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- AUGUST!

[ Edited ]

@dosey wrote:

Thank you all for the nice words and thoughts.  Yesterday, DS had a good day.  When I came home for lunch, he was up and about.  I gave him and DD $20 to go do something.  That brought a big smile to both faces.  When I came home after work, they were playing a Playstation game and laughing.  Today was a good day, too.  Not as good as yesterday, but good.  DS has been seeing a therapist for a few months.  I wanted to address the cause of his depression and anxiety.  DS doesn't open up to people easily.  The therapist has helped some but not enough.  With school starting soon, I decided that we needed to try something else.  Our doctor said that it was not uncommon for young adults to go through this.  We see both the doctor and therapist next week for follow ups.

Today marks my 54th year on this planet.  You know what that means.  CAKE!!  HEP?  What's HEP?

Day three of the No Buy.  No problemo.

CAKE!

Nom, nom, nom, nom....

Happy birthday!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Today marks my 54th year on this planet.  You know what that means.

Are you suddenly feeling pressure for some kind of significant change? 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

First week of August done! I did a little more decluttering.

Tossed: 1 pen, 1 pencil, and a whole bunch of Arbonne samples that I didn't realize I had (they were about 11 years old)

Finished: 1 conditioner*, 1 votive candle, 1 (1/4 oz) night cream

Donate: 7 pair of my shoes, 1 pair of S.O.'s boots

*Note on the conditoner: This was an 8.5 oz bottle, and it took me about 9 weeks to use it up. I replaced it with a 16 oz bottle, so that should last me 'till about Christmas! So why do I have 12 bottles of conditioner in my stockpile??? 

Thanks @just bee for suggesting we put the start date on our items. It's eye opening!

Contributor

Why would anyone spend $250.00 for a pound of tea ,just curious! 

Contributor

I agree with you, there are a lot more things I would want to buy,but not a pound of tea

Honored Contributor

@tippygirl wrote:

Why would anyone spend $250.00 for a pound of tea ,just curious! 

I guess the stock answer is: Because they can.

Honored Contributor

@tippygirl wrote:

I agree with you, there are a lot more things I would want to buy,but not a pound of tea

So there are those who will buy the tea because they can.  There are others who will buy the tea because they want to.

There are those who would not buy the tea.  Either they don't like tea or they don't see the point of spending $250 on a pound of tea when they are satisfied with less expensive products.

I bought tea yesterday.  It was on sale.  It wasn't $250 a pound.  There will always be items that are purchased that others can't justify.

I'm 56 and I've never had a manicure or pedicure.  I filed my nails yesterday and that, for me, is sufficient.  Others have made professional nail care a regular part of their lives.

Different priorities.  Different worldviews.  Different lifestyles.

Some people might think that what I pay for a bag of kibble is excessive.  Some people have told me that my house is "too big" for two people.

This is where things get sticky.  If someone earns their money that person should be able to spend it as they see fit.  But I will admit that I might raise an eyebrow at the person who buys the tea instead of food for the dog and the kid.

If one's behavior doesn't adversely affect another, I have no complaints.

Incidentally, thank you for stopping by!  Please visit us again!

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- AUGUST!

[ Edited ]

@Eager2Learn wrote:

Thanks @just bee for suggesting we put the start date on our items. It's eye opening!

I do love my Sharpie.  Start dates are useful on household products and food, too.  Once you realize how long it actually takes to use an item, the stockpiling seems silly.

I tend to hold on to receipts.  By that I mean the email from companies that confirm my orders.  I can see what I ordered and when.  I'm actually in sync with Costco's coupon books now.  I can anticipate when they will have deodorant or laundry detergent on sale so I shop accordingly.

I donated blood the other day and, out of curiosity, I went to the blood services website to look at the number of points I've acquired.  I decided to order some shirts using my points.  When I looked at my order history I realized that it's been several years since my last order.  I also discovered that if a donor doesn't use their points after two years, they lose them.  How did I miss that?  I've lost thousands of points.  That's a lot of T-shirts.  I could have used those points for gift certificates, movie tickets, ice cream -- or I could have donated them.  Now they're gone.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

We're going to Portland in the fall and I'm so excited, I'm working on my packing list already.  I wanted to take a smaller more portable palette with me and since it's a no-buy month, I shopped my stash.  I broke open a Lorac skinny eyeshadow palette that I bought during the holidays but never used.  Love it!  I can't wait to go and get away from this unbearable heat.  Hope everyone's keeping cool.

I'm assuming that's Portland, OR -- not ME.  Remember: Layer, layer, layer.  Be prepared for precipitation.  September's warmer and not as wet as October through December, but pack accordingly.  It's like the San Francisco Bay Area with microclimates.  It can be warm and dry in one area, cooler and soggier in another. 

But you probably already know all this.  I lived behind the Redwood Curtain for five years and managed winter rains and pea soup fog.  But Oregon fog is a whole nuther animal.  On one trip we had to get off the road and wait in a Grants Pass coffee shop for hours for the fog to lift.

Sometimes I miss all that.  But then all I have to do is sniff one of my old schoolbooks and I can still detect mildew.

Oh -- did I mention I'm sick with jealousy?

Actually, it rained so hard here yesterday that both our skylights leaked and rain and hail came right into the house when I opened the front door.  Swept pools of water off the back patio.  Thunder and lightning -- and the neighbor's getting a new roof.  I can't believe the work crew stayed up there and lived to tell about it.