Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

FUN

According to Oxford, it means "enjoyment, amusement or lighthearted pleasure."

A few of you have posted your plans for fun.  The rest of us are still searching.

It's time to declare at least one plan for fun!

I'm taking a night off from work next week and I'm going to a Boz Scaggs concert.  I'm hoping I can come up with something else because August is a long month.

Wow, Boz Scaggs. A blast from the past. I loved some of his songs growing up. I have one or two of his cd's, I should dig them out.  Have fun at the concert.

I was sad that Vinyl was cancelled. Although, I completely saw that coming. To me it wasnt particularly interesting or riveting but I enjoyed the music and was hoping that they improved the storyline with season 2.

It'll be Boz and Michael McDonald, too.  It'll also be outside.  Might rain.  Pretty sure it was the Ringo concert where we almost drowned.

Yeah, I'm sad, too, about Vinyl.  I saw the flaws but could live with them.  The show had potential.  I suspect it had no audience.  Tsk.

That flooding in Maryland is just so heartbreaking.  (I have the news on and every time I look up there seems to be more damage.)  Donated blood today (I don't have the Zika virus) so I have an excuse to sit and relax the rest of the day.  Think I'll polish off The Making of the Mob.

We need to come up with some ideas for fun.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, it is Aug. 1st.  Summer is half over and I have not done one fun summer thing.  I always think I am going to do so much in the summer but, really, I am not a hot weather person. It just drains me. Plus the fact, the weather has been a bit strange. It has been gloomy and rainy - sort of- for days now.

I am really pysched about the Aug. no buy. I think because I really need it. LOL.  I have been on a bender for the last 7 months. I have gone to great lenghts to declutter (painfully) and I dont want to fill up my home again with things that I dont use.  I am extending this to all categories except clothes and shoes. I have bought some clothes already and I have some shoes coming and I am really hoping they work out. I do need them desparately. I am just going to make every effort not to go overboard.  Although, it is difficult for me to find a few things I am happy with these days, so it shouldnt be a problem. But, I am at a point where I need to spruce up my wardrobe.  A lot of things dont fit anymore and I am tired of wearing the same stuff over and over waiting for the day I lose a little bit. 

Which leads me to my HEP, which has been a total fail, however, it is the start of a new month and I am not giving up. When the sun finally comes out again, I have to make a point of being out in it as much as possible. Part of my problem is I am inside 95% of the time and I dont think that is healthy.

I am also going to try and not order as much online unless it cant be avoided of course. I find it so easy to push the submit button even when I know I shouldnt. Physically going to the store will help because these days I dont always feel like being in stores.  We will see how this goes.  Sometimes the deals are so much better online.

For those in the no buy. Good luck for August.  Let's help each other.

I am sooooooooooooooo looking forward to autumn and winter.  I told Better-half to do some research on grills (ours died years ago) because we should be cooking outside more often.  He says the prices will come down around Labor Day, so that will work well.  Outdoor cooking when it starts to get cooler -- even colder.  I want my yard to go dormant so I can get a break from watering and pulling up rogue growth.

I'm tired of summer.  I appreciate it, I do, but it remains my least favorite season.

I'm a little more motivated when the temperature drops.

Me too. I love the cooler weather.  The funny part, I love summer, without humidity of course, and swear I am going to do all of these things and it passes and it is over and I havent done one thing summery.  There were a few days recently where it wasnt hot or cold, just right, with a bit of a breeze. If it could stay like that all summer, it would be a dream.

Oh yea, grills drop substantially around labor day and beyond.  You will be able to find a great price. I havent grilled in a few years now and I do miss it.  Nothing like cooking on a grill.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I have less than a pound of Paris tea left, so I went online to see if Harney & Sons had anything on sale.  Why, yes -- they do!  A pound of Top Chingwo Congou has been marked down to $255.00 from $300.00.  Better stock up!  Unfortunately, the Meijiawu Lung Ching is not on sale -- it's still $400.00 a pound and it's out of stock.

More and more I feel that I'm living in an alternate universe.  I begrudge no one for buying and drinking $400-a-pound tea.  Life is short.  But I recognize that there are things, at this point in my life, that I will never experience.

Like the "delicious meatiness of roasted eggplant with steamed bok choy and toasted walnut flavors" that are found in Meijiawu Lung Ching.  Which, I suspect, translates to "pricey compost."

Oh shucks, they were out of the 400 bucker.  Darn, missed opportunity.

I cannot believe tea costs 400 bucks a pound.  I never want to be that person that spends that much on tea, even if I was in the position to afford that without pain.

See?  That must be proof we have middle class brains.  People always tell me that if I had the money $400 on tea would be nothing.  But I disagree.  I have middle class DNA.  Practicality is in my bones.  Thrift is in my blood.  I look at life in terms of how-many-bags-of-kibble-would-that-be?

It's about six.

LOL, I guess so.  I wasnt so "aware" when I was younger. I use to buy coffee, soda and water out, several times a day, all the time, now, I look at the cost of the bottle of whatever and think, hmmm, I can have a whole case for a couple bucks more. Yep, you know you have arrived at middle age. I still buy those things if I want or need it when I am out, but I certainly dont buy them several times a day. It is funny how the mindset changes.  Now if I can just get it to change on some other things, I would be set.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, it is Aug. 1st.  Summer is half over and I have not done one fun summer thing.  I always think I am going to do so much in the summer but, really, I am not a hot weather person. It just drains me. Plus the fact, the weather has been a bit strange. It has been gloomy and rainy - sort of- for days now.

I am really pysched about the Aug. no buy. I think because I really need it. LOL.  I have been on a bender for the last 7 months. I have gone to great lenghts to declutter (painfully) and I dont want to fill up my home again with things that I dont use.  I am extending this to all categories except clothes and shoes. I have bought some clothes already and I have some shoes coming and I am really hoping they work out. I do need them desparately. I am just going to make every effort not to go overboard.  Although, it is difficult for me to find a few things I am happy with these days, so it shouldnt be a problem. But, I am at a point where I need to spruce up my wardrobe.  A lot of things dont fit anymore and I am tired of wearing the same stuff over and over waiting for the day I lose a little bit. 

Which leads me to my HEP, which has been a total fail, however, it is the start of a new month and I am not giving up. When the sun finally comes out again, I have to make a point of being out in it as much as possible. Part of my problem is I am inside 95% of the time and I dont think that is healthy.

I am also going to try and not order as much online unless it cant be avoided of course. I find it so easy to push the submit button even when I know I shouldnt. Physically going to the store will help because these days I dont always feel like being in stores.  We will see how this goes.  Sometimes the deals are so much better online.

For those in the no buy. Good luck for August.  Let's help each other.

I am sooooooooooooooo looking forward to autumn and winter.  I told Better-half to do some research on grills (ours died years ago) because we should be cooking outside more often.  He says the prices will come down around Labor Day, so that will work well.  Outdoor cooking when it starts to get cooler -- even colder.  I want my yard to go dormant so I can get a break from watering and pulling up rogue growth.

I'm tired of summer.  I appreciate it, I do, but it remains my least favorite season.

I'm a little more motivated when the temperature drops.

Me too. I love the cooler weather.  The funny part, I love summer, without humidity of course, and swear I am going to do all of these things and it passes and it is over and I havent done one thing summery.  There were a few days recently where it wasnt hot or cold, just right, with a bit of a breeze. If it could stay like that all summer, it would be a dream.

Oh yea, grills drop substantially around labor day and beyond.  You will be able to find a great price. I havent grilled in a few years now and I do miss it.  Nothing like cooking on a grill.

I don't get it.  I have two pairs of cropped pants and several pairs of sandals but they haven't seen the other side of the closet door in years.

Why am I not wearing sandals?  Sometimes I think about the prospect of dying and going to that place "below."  I have this horrible feeling that it's tropical.

All I know is that, as long as I'm on the planet, I have to be where there are four seasons.  Whenever I think about relocating or even vacationing, I always think NORTH.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Practicality is in my bones.  Thrift is in my blood.  I look at life in terms of how-many-bags-of-kibble-would-that-be?

It's about six.

Yes, it is funny how the mindset changes.  I do the same thing depending on what it is I am buying. 

My one SIL has always been extremely thrifty, to the point of no fun.  She wouldnt buy anything and I mean anything.  She would bring her own water to places, wore clothes she wore in high school 15 years later, wouldnt drop a penny in a wishing well, so on.  But looking back, I wish I had half of her thrifty tendencies. It would of served me well. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I don't get it.  I have two pairs of cropped pants and several pairs of sandals but they haven't seen the other side of the closet door in years.

Why am I not wearing sandals?  Sometimes I think about the prospect of dying and going to that place "below."  I have this horrible feeling that it's tropical.

All I know is that, as long as I'm on the planet, I have to be where there are four seasons.  Whenever I think about relocating or even vacationing, I always think NORTH.

LOL, if you find yourself south of the border when you go, you might be a bit toasty.  "He" will make you check your fan at the gate.

As much as I love my boots, I love sandals.  Just slip on and go.  I just bought a couple and I am hoping they work out. I am anxious to get them. I want them to look good but comfort is my main goal.

I like cropped pants, I no longer like capri's. I dont know if I ever did. I always felt like I was going fishing or something when I would wear them. But considering nothing really fits this year, I dont have to worry about liking them or not. I only have one pair that I can work with.  Oy 

Break out those sandals, Just Bee, and give your tootsies some air.

May your crops and sandals see the other side of that door.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Practicality is in my bones.  Thrift is in my blood.  I look at life in terms of how-many-bags-of-kibble-would-that-be?

It's about six.

Yes, it is funny how the mindset changes.  I do the same thing depending on what it is I am buying. 

My one SIL has always been extremely thrifty, to the point of no fun.  She wouldnt buy anything and I mean anything.  She would bring her own water to places, wore clothes she wore in high school 15 years later, wouldnt drop a penny in a wishing well, so on.  But looking back, I wish I had half of her thrifty tendencies. It would of served me well. 

My mother had a theory about those who were a little too thrifty.  She said that, in the end, all their money would either go to a doctor or a lawyer. Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Hey, just bee!  Thanks for getting us started.

The August No-Buy has officially started.  Here's our list of participants.

StillRachB

Oshare-girl

rnmom

just bee

aprilskies

SillyIrishGirl

me

If I missed anyone, just let me know.

July ended on a bad note.  My DS continues to struggle with anxiety and depression, so we decided to try medication.  I couldn't be at work wondering if he was sinking and if something was going to happen.  DD was checking on him throughout the day, and it isn't fair for her to feel that kind of burden and for my son to feel so awful.  It hasn't been two weeks, yet, but that is supposed to be when he starts feeling a little bit better.  That along with my 14 yo DD's hormone rollercoaster, and it's a party at my house.  Pfffttt!!!  I am emotionally and mentally exhausted.

The only benefit to having the above priorities in my life is that I have no idea what has been on the shopping channels lately, and I really don't care.  If this continues, the August No-Buy is going to be a piece of cake.

Speaking of cake, HEP has been a disaster.  I am starting fresh with August.  This evening, I did a little yard work and feel good about accomplishing something.  Since I started working, taking care of my family, keeping food in the house, and staying current with laundry are all I can do.  I continue to love my job and am learning so much.  It feels good exercising my mind.

I finished one eyeshadow color in a palette that I have had for years.  YEARS!!!!!  I also tossed an eye peel because within a few seconds after applying it, I felt a terrible burning.  So I am continuing with Vaseline  at night and CeraVe during the day.

Just bee, when my husband shopped for our grill, he was able to get the store manager to sell the floor model to us for an additional discount.  There was nothing wrong with it, and it was assembled.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Hey, just bee!  Thanks for getting us started.

The August No-Buy has officially started.  Here's our list of participants.

StillRachB

Oshare-girl

rnmom

just bee

aprilskies

SillyIrishGirl

me

If I missed anyone, just let me know.

July ended on a bad note.  My DS continues to struggle with anxiety and depression, so we decided to try medication.  I couldn't be at work wondering if he was sinking and if something was going to happen.  DD was checking on him throughout the day, and it isn't fair for her to feel that kind of burden and for my son to feel so awful.  It hasn't been two weeks, yet, but that is supposed to be when he starts feeling a little bit better.  That along with my 14 yo DD's hormone rollercoaster, and it's a party at my house.  Pfffttt!!!  I am emotionally and mentally exhausted.

The only benefit to having the above priorities in my life is that I have no idea what has been on the shopping channels lately, and I really don't care.  If this continues, the August No-Buy is going to be a piece of cake.

Speaking of cake, HEP has been a disaster.  I am starting fresh with August.  This evening, I did a little yard work and feel good about accomplishing something.  Since I started working, taking care of my family, keeping food in the house, and staying current with laundry are all I can do.  I continue to love my job and am learning so much.  It feels good exercising my mind.

I finished one eyeshadow color in a palette that I have had for years.  YEARS!!!!!  I also tossed an eye peel because within a few seconds after applying it, I felt a terrible burning.  So I am continuing with Vaseline  at night and CeraVe during the day.

Just bee, when my husband shopped for our grill, he was able to get the store manager to sell the floor model to us for an additional discount.  There was nothing wrong with it, and it was assembled.

I agree: July ended on a sour note.  So sour, in fact, that I was convinced that I should reward myself with some kind of purchase.  I've been on a no-buy for some time and I toyed with the idea of buying something fun just for the heck of it.  I gave myself the last day of July to sneak one in but I didn't do it.  But the thought remains.  I'm hoping August is a better month for all of us.

Dosey, I'm sorry to hear about DS' anxiety and depression.  Is he seeing someone?  As in, is he seeing a counselor/therapist?  Has he talked about the source of the anxiety and depression?  I work with a crisis counselor who is really good at getting clients to perfect their coping skills so they can get a handle on the anxiety and depression before they escalate.  It's like she assigns homework -- things they need to do to manage the issues as they arise.

Here's to August!

Honored Contributor

@dosey

It does sound like you would be ready for July to come to an end.  So sorry to hear about your DS.  I can relate, unfortunately.  I hope the medications will do the trick for him.  I think we're finding out nowadays that a lot of this stuff is genetic.  I recently learned that my great-nephew was put on medication for the same thing.  My niece says that it's done him a world of good.  He's even thinking of returning to college (out-of-state).  Hopefully you and your family can find some relief to the emotional roller coaster you've all been on.

But you have a good attitude about eating.  So July was a bust, that's past. August is a chance for a new beginning.  It seems like stress demands lots of comfort food!

(But cake really does sound good...🎂🍰)