Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

Hep Cats

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I have less than a pound of Paris tea left, so I went online to see if Harney & Sons had anything on sale.  Why, yes -- they do!  A pound of Top Chingwo Congou has been marked down to $255.00 from $300.00.  Better stock up!  Unfortunately, the Meijiawu Lung Ching is not on sale -- it's still $400.00 a pound and it's out of stock.

More and more I feel that I'm living in an alternate universe.  I begrudge no one for buying and drinking $400-a-pound tea.  Life is short.  But I recognize that there are things, at this point in my life, that I will never experience.

Like the "delicious meatiness of roasted eggplant with steamed bok choy and toasted walnut flavors" that are found in Meijiawu Lung Ching.  Which, I suspect, translates to "pricey compost."

Honored Contributor

So... speaking of tea...

I've been thinking, as you may know, about breaking up with Harney & Sons and instead getting to know a local tea company in an effort to shop within my community.  NM Tea Company has a Tea of the Month Club.  For $19.99 a month, they will send me a variety of tea: Two different 2-oz packages and one 1-oz package of a "high grade specialty" tea.

I've read this over and over again and something doesn't add up.  It's designed for people who drink one cup of tea a day and two cups a day on weekends.  Roughly 50 cups per month.

Huh?

This is problematic.  First, I don't drink a cup of tea.  I drink from a hefty mug.  Two of those daily except for one day a week which is tealess.

Okay.  That's what I needed to see.  Putting it all down in black and white -- er, dark azure and white -- makes it apparent that this club will not work for me.  Five ounces of tea per month?  Five ounces for twenty bucks?

I told you I lived in another universe.

Honored Contributor

FUN

According to Oxford, it means "enjoyment, amusement or lighthearted pleasure."

A few of you have posted your plans for fun.  The rest of us are still searching.

It's time to declare at least one plan for fun!

I'm taking a night off from work next week and I'm going to a Boz Scaggs concert.  I'm hoping I can come up with something else because August is a long month.

Respected Contributor

Well, it is Aug. 1st.  Summer is half over and I have not done one fun summer thing.  I always think I am going to do so much in the summer but, really, I am not a hot weather person. It just drains me. Plus the fact, the weather has been a bit strange. It has been gloomy and rainy - sort of- for days now.

I am really pysched about the Aug. no buy. I think because I really need it. LOL.  I have been on a bender for the last 7 months. I have gone to great lenghts to declutter (painfully) and I dont want to fill up my home again with things that I dont use.  I am extending this to all categories except clothes and shoes. I have bought some clothes already and I have some shoes coming and I am really hoping they work out. I do need them desparately. I am just going to make every effort not to go overboard.  Although, it is difficult for me to find a few things I am happy with these days, so it shouldnt be a problem. But, I am at a point where I need to spruce up my wardrobe.  A lot of things dont fit anymore and I am tired of wearing the same stuff over and over waiting for the day I lose a little bit. 

Which leads me to my HEP, which has been a total fail, however, it is the start of a new month and I am not giving up. When the sun finally comes out again, I have to make a point of being out in it as much as possible. Part of my problem is I am inside 95% of the time and I dont think that is healthy.

I am also going to try and not order as much online unless it cant be avoided of course. I find it so easy to push the submit button even when I know I shouldnt. Physically going to the store will help because these days I dont always feel like being in stores.  We will see how this goes.  Sometimes the deals are so much better online.

For those in the no buy. Good luck for August.  Let's help each other.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I have less than a pound of Paris tea left, so I went online to see if Harney & Sons had anything on sale.  Why, yes -- they do!  A pound of Top Chingwo Congou has been marked down to $255.00 from $300.00.  Better stock up!  Unfortunately, the Meijiawu Lung Ching is not on sale -- it's still $400.00 a pound and it's out of stock.

More and more I feel that I'm living in an alternate universe.  I begrudge no one for buying and drinking $400-a-pound tea.  Life is short.  But I recognize that there are things, at this point in my life, that I will never experience.

Like the "delicious meatiness of roasted eggplant with steamed bok choy and toasted walnut flavors" that are found in Meijiawu Lung Ching.  Which, I suspect, translates to "pricey compost."

Oh shucks, they were out of the 400 bucker.  Darn, missed opportunity.

I cannot believe tea costs 400 bucks a pound.  I never want to be that person that spends that much on tea, even if I was in the position to afford that without pain.

Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- AUGUST!

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

FUN

According to Oxford, it means "enjoyment, amusement or lighthearted pleasure."

A few of you have posted your plans for fun.  The rest of us are still searching.

It's time to declare at least one plan for fun!

I'm taking a night off from work next week and I'm going to a Boz Scaggs concert.  I'm hoping I can come up with something else because August is a long month.

Wow, Boz Scaggs. A blast from the past. I loved some of his songs growing up. I have one or two of his cd's, I should dig them out.  Have fun at the concert.

I was sad that Vinyl was cancelled. Although, I completely saw that coming. To me it wasnt particularly interesting or riveting but I enjoyed the music and was hoping that they improved the storyline with season 2.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, it is Aug. 1st.  Summer is half over and I have not done one fun summer thing.  I always think I am going to do so much in the summer but, really, I am not a hot weather person. It just drains me. Plus the fact, the weather has been a bit strange. It has been gloomy and rainy - sort of- for days now.

I am really pysched about the Aug. no buy. I think because I really need it. LOL.  I have been on a bender for the last 7 months. I have gone to great lenghts to declutter (painfully) and I dont want to fill up my home again with things that I dont use.  I am extending this to all categories except clothes and shoes. I have bought some clothes already and I have some shoes coming and I am really hoping they work out. I do need them desparately. I am just going to make every effort not to go overboard.  Although, it is difficult for me to find a few things I am happy with these days, so it shouldnt be a problem. But, I am at a point where I need to spruce up my wardrobe.  A lot of things dont fit anymore and I am tired of wearing the same stuff over and over waiting for the day I lose a little bit. 

Which leads me to my HEP, which has been a total fail, however, it is the start of a new month and I am not giving up. When the sun finally comes out again, I have to make a point of being out in it as much as possible. Part of my problem is I am inside 95% of the time and I dont think that is healthy.

I am also going to try and not order as much online unless it cant be avoided of course. I find it so easy to push the submit button even when I know I shouldnt. Physically going to the store will help because these days I dont always feel like being in stores.  We will see how this goes.  Sometimes the deals are so much better online.

For those in the no buy. Good luck for August.  Let's help each other.

I am sooooooooooooooo looking forward to autumn and winter.  I told Better-half to do some research on grills (ours died years ago) because we should be cooking outside more often.  He says the prices will come down around Labor Day, so that will work well.  Outdoor cooking when it starts to get cooler -- even colder.  I want my yard to go dormant so I can get a break from watering and pulling up rogue growth.

I'm tired of summer.  I appreciate it, I do, but it remains my least favorite season.

I'm a little more motivated when the temperature drops.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Oh shucks, they were out of the 400 bucker.  Darn, missed opportunity.

I cannot believe tea costs 400 bucks a pound.  I never want to be that person that spends that much on tea, even if I was in the position to afford that without pain.

See?  That must be proof we have middle class brains.  People always tell me that if I had the money $400 on tea would be nothing.  But I disagree.  I have middle class DNA.  Practicality is in my bones.  Thrift is in my blood.  I look at life in terms of how-many-bags-of-kibble-would-that-be?

It's about six.