Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- September

Hi, everyone!  The month is more than half over, and I have not made a single beauty purchase.  It helps that I have been busy, and my mind is occupied with other things.

Hope you all are doing fine!

Paws and enjoy life.
Regular Contributor

Happy last weekend of summer. I bought the Bare Minerals TSV yesterday. My foundation is almost gone and I have wanted to try this. The day before I got an ad that had the foundation and brush as a featured item. The kit was just $3 more. I just cannot justify buying the items separately. I was disappointed with the Mally kit I bought. Two of the make-up items, the lip gloss and powder foundation, were made in China. I have a problem with cosmetics made in China. I noticed that QVC does not print the country of origin for cosmetics. Does anyone else check the country of origin for their cosmetics?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Hello, Ladies.  Just dropping in to say hello and see how everyone is doing. 

My project later on is going to be paring back the cardboard boxes I accumulated over the last year.  I always think I will use them for something else, like mailing something, but all they are doing is taking up space. So, I think I will keep some of them but toss most.  I do like to reuse stuff where i can but it doesnt make sense to keep all of them. The clutter seems to build.

Ever "hear" my story about collected cardboard boxes?  A few years ago I was walking the dog and ran into someone in the neighborhood whose house was being treated for termites.  Odd, since this is a neighborhood of brick houses and it's rare to see the termite people in these parts.  Well, he explained that the shipping boxes that had collected against a wall in the house were the culprit.  A termite-infested box was part of the collection: They hatched and got into the walls.  Back in the eighties I worked for a retail establishment that sold wooden reindeer one Christmas.  I was forever dusting the shelves they sat on, later realizing I was cleaning up sawdust.  Termites were chewing through these things.  I was mortified.  How many people bought these and brought termites into their homes?
~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BExplorer wrote:

@just bee I am reporting back on the loose tea recommendations you gave me a month or so ago (boy, time does fly!).  I have not yet ordered from the websites you provided because as I was ordering a supplement from Iherb.com, flashing across the screen was an advertisement for various 2.5-3.5 ounce canisters of organic loose teas on clearance for $1.00 each!  Yes, I know this is a compacting thread but I ordered 9 of them--1 of each kind available at that price.  I purchased a tea infuser and my son has only been drinking that tea, ignoring the bagged green tea.  I fear I have created a tea snob 😆. 

It's possible!  Once you start brewing quality loose tea, you can start getting a little picky.  I tried to go back to tea from the grocery store and it was an experiment that failed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Hello, Ladies.  Just dropping in to say hello and see how everyone is doing. 

My project later on is going to be paring back the cardboard boxes I accumulated over the last year.  I always think I will use them for something else, like mailing something, but all they are doing is taking up space. So, I think I will keep some of them but toss most.  I do like to reuse stuff where i can but it doesnt make sense to keep all of them. The clutter seems to build.

Ever "hear" my story about collected cardboard boxes?  A few years ago I was walking the dog and ran into someone in the neighborhood whose house was being treated for termites.  Odd, since this is a neighborhood of brick houses and it's rare to see the termite people in these parts.  Well, he explained that the shipping boxes that had collected against a wall in the house were the culprit.  A termite-infested box was part of the collection: They hatched and got into the walls.  Back in the eighties I worked for a retail establishment that sold wooden reindeer one Christmas.  I was forever dusting the shelves they sat on, later realizing I was cleaning up sawdust.  Termites were chewing through these things.  I was mortified.  How many people bought these and brought termites into their homes?

----------------------------

Oh no, termites.  Who would of thunk it in boxes. Good to know. I wouldnt want to deal with that problem.  After I purged a ton of boxes a few years ago, I was pretty good at throwing them out right away.  This last year, I figured I would keep them to mail things as I tried to sell things.  However, I finally accepted the fact I am not a seller.  I hate posting, packing and mailing. So, I put the bins back in my storage room because I was tired of looking at them and finally tossed all the boxes. I figured if I need a box, I will find one.

My place now looks so much better without all those bins around. But, I rearranged a little bit and it is starting to look a little bare.  I got rid of a lot of my art and wall hangings a couple of years ago, just didnt like them any longer and now need to look for some things.  I am actually looking forward to doing that but it is a matter of making the time.

Respected Contributor

I know September hasnt ended yet, however, I dont anticipate any purchases from now to the end of the month.  The only thing I bought in September was the Wen tsv.  So, that remains my only purchase in two months. It really feels good not adding to the stockpiles. I am getting through some products and it is feeling good.

My goal for October is no product purchases or very limited. I am really looking forward to the point where I can open my cabinets/closets and not feel overwhelmed.  ...or move products around and find ones I forgot about and know that I will never get around to using. 

Honored Contributor

My ComPacting has been in suspended animation for some time because I've just been so busy with work and school.  But if all goes well, I'm looking at being done with school by Thanksgiving.  What I've been good about is just saying no.  I haven't collected or shopped.  I've stopped the flow.  But it just proves how much there was to begin with.  I still have enough shower gel to keep me going for a couple years.  The lotions will probably spoil before I get to them.  I looked through an Ulta catalog today and was a little tempted by a set of eye shadows and I had to laugh.  I have eye shadow I never wear.  The pot I do use will last another year.  All I really need is mascara for the new year and more CC cream.  But I still have a couple months to look for a sale.  I haven't bought clothes or jewelry; in fact, I need to start thinking about selling some jewelry.  I will never wear all the jewelry I've collected.  Any suggestions?

I'm looking forward to the holidays because I'll be out of school and I'll be able to concentrate on the house.  I think I might get back into volunteering with the literacy program: If I do, I'll be able to donate some of my books and magazines to students.  Must purge.  I want to paint the walls and replace the carpet but there's just too much furniture to move.  Where did all these bookcases come from?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I know September hasnt ended yet, however, I dont anticipate any purchases from now to the end of the month.  The only thing I bought in September was the Wen tsv.  So, that remains my only purchase in two months. It really feels good not adding to the stockpiles. I am getting through some products and it is feeling good.

My goal for October is no product purchases or very limited. I am really looking forward to the point where I can open my cabinets/closets and not feel overwhelmed.  ...or move products around and find ones I forgot about and know that I will never get around to using. 

I bet you could get through October without buying anything but the essentials -- and Halloween candy.

Honored Contributor

Sundrops!  You out there?  Just wondering how you're adjusting to life in the high desert.  Fall is just around the corner and you can feel it in the air and see it in the trees.  Soon there will be balloons.

How's the job thing?  How's the dog?  How's the house/neighborhood?

Trusted Contributor

@DL2843 wrote:

Happy last weekend of summer. I bought the Bare Minerals TSV yesterday. My foundation is almost gone and I have wanted to try this. The day before I got an ad that had the foundation and brush as a featured item. The kit was just $3 more. I just cannot justify buying the items separately. I was disappointed with the Mally kit I bought. Two of the make-up items, the lip gloss and powder foundation, were made in China. I have a problem with cosmetics made in China. I noticed that QVC does not print the country of origin for cosmetics. Does anyone else check the country of origin for their cosmetics?

No, but I think I will start checking.  We've seen in the past where things from countries have been sent here but do not adhere to US laws and regulations.  

Paws and enjoy life.