Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?
The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.
Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.
They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.
Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- September

[ Edited ]

Can you believe it's already September?  And I have one week left of this current class; after that, I have only two classes to go.  Is there leisure time in my future?

There are already hints of fall here: Cooler mornings, green chile roasting, leaves changing colors, and it's getting darker earlier.  They are predicting a cooler, wetter September here.  I'm fine with that!

Anybody have specific plans or goals for this new month?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'm toying with the idea of going back to the toss-an-item-a-day thing.  Thirty days, thirty items.  I still have some old beauty products that I know I'm never going to use.

There's a new thread here: The Beauty Purge.  You may want to check it out.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for starting us out! I'm in denial that it's already September. I need to evaluate my August compacting and make some goals for September. The Toss an item a day sounds like a good idea! I'll be back with my action plan later today!
Honored Contributor

It is hard to believe it's September already.  You're certainly on the ball, justbee!  Glad to hear you're getting a bit of a taste of the fall to come.  It's still hot, steamy and just plain yucky here.  Late fall and winter are my favorite times of the year, probably because all the foliage is either going or already dormant and I feel better.  I really miss winter in the desert.  It was a perfect time.  Of course, it could be what I'm really missing is the fact that I was twenty years+ younger than I am now!

I've got more stuff to get rid of too, this month hopefully.  I'm getting down on some of it to things that I've kept for ages, no longer use, but I'm just not sure that I want to part with forever after.  It would really help me if I could get rid of a lot of my husband's stuff, but I don't even broach that subject out loud.  Totally unthinkable.  I mean, what would he do without that old cardboard box in the garage that we both trip over two or three times a day?  Heaven forbid!

Happy September, everyone!

Honored Contributor

Work and school have taken up all my time.  If all goes well, I should be done with school just before Thanksgiving.  I plan to spend the rest of the year (the holiday season) giving the house a little attention.  It'll be my Christmas present to the house.  It's been neglected.

Respected Contributor

I, too, cant believe it is September.  Pretty soon we will be thinking about Christmas. Oy vey. 

My goal for September is no-buy for skincare or mu unless I am replacing and only if I dont have something else that can substitute for it.  I bought nothing in August and was quite relieved.  September hopefully wont be too hard.   In the past few weeks, I tossed or donated quite a lot of products/mu so I think that will help me to stay the course. 

One thing I can say for certain though, no more mu for the rest of the year.  I just dont get around to using it and unless I do, no more.  For some odd reason I love collecting it but just dont use. It goes in a drawer and doesnt see the light of day. How weird.

As far as decluttering, I am taking a break from it. I actually even put back the bins I was going to start attacking.  I have been decluttering off and on for so long that I think I need a break.  Instead, I think I am going to make September about having some fun.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

As far as decluttering, I am taking a break from it. I actually even put back the bins I was going to start attacking.  I have been decluttering off and on for so long that I think I need a break.  Instead, I think I am going to make September about having some fun.

Fun sounds good.  I would like to have some fun, too.  Must investigate...

Trusted Contributor

I reviewed my goals for August - I would give myself a C for the month. I didn't buy any body lotions/gels etc, I did track the items I used up or threw out (14!), but I went overboard shopping Isomers. Yes, I'll use the items and so far have really been loving the discoloration kit but it definitely filled up the once emptying box of skincare items. I also had the goal of only getting the Bare Minerals TSV autodelivery (which I did and love it) BUT I also preordered the September TSV for Bareminerals. It turned out to be advanced order so I'll get it sometime this month so does that lessen the error since it's spread over 2 months?? LOL  One plus, i did avoid the Paula's Choice sale since earlier this Summer I purchased items to last the rest of the year. Any other time, I may have been drawn in to buy even though I didn't need anything.

I think I need to tighten the belt and be more strict this month.

Goals =

1 - NO buying any body lotions/potions/creams/gels.

2 - NO buying any makeup.

3 - When I get the Bareminerals kit, I'm going to try out the newer serum foundation that I've been stalking since it debuted. If it's not a good fit for me, the kit will be returned and the autodelivery cancelled for the set. If it doesn't play nice with my skin, I won't keep it and try to force it to work which means it will go into a box, collect dust and eventually thrown out.

4 - NO buying any skincare (I'm fully stocked in evemrything but am on my last Serious Skincare A force serum. This could be the only thing I buy rest of 2015 if I can get a good deal with just the serum).

5 - I will do the One-Thing-A-Day process. The item can be thrown out/recycled or given away. My decluttering has gone in spurts so I think doing 1 a day will help get the habit going again.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I bought nothing in August and was quite relieved.  September hopefully wont be too hard.   In the past few weeks, I tossed or donated quite a lot of products/mu so I think that will help me to stay the course. 

Wow, I am happy for you.  Congratulations on your no-buy!

Paws and enjoy life.