Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?
The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.
Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.
They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.
Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh, good grief -- forgive me for being so late on October's posting.  Totally spaced it.  Where the heck did September go?  It's already Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque!

I think it's safe to say that summer is over and autumn has arrived.  We have stocked our roasted green chile for the season and are ready for some cooler temperatures.  I hope everyone is enjoying the transition to the new season and has plans to make the most out of the best season of the year.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Just Bee - I lost track of the time too! Good thing I figured it out this weekend and remembered to pay a couple bills LOL.

September was an odd experiment month for me. It seemed like I tried more items and returned more things than I kept. I'm marking it as a good learning experience. I now know 3-4 lines of clothes, shoes, beauty, that I have tried and didn't like. I can now cross those temptations off the list. Due to the change in weather, I bought more Fall/Winter clothes than expected but I needed to refresh my work wardrobe. I was starting to feel like a slob in current clothes.

Goal for October = NO BUYING makeup, skincare, or body cream/lotions.

I used up my favorite Neutrogena shine control powder. I was going to buy a new replacement but found in my stash a different line's version of oil control powder. My plan is to use this item instead of buying a Neutrogena........but in the case that I find it doesn't work as well, I'm allowing myself to throw it out and buy a Neutrogena powder replacement. I will either find that it works well and I'll use it up or it will be thrown out - either way it will help my stash of items.

I was super close to buying Perlier's jumbo shea butter body cream. It's been my all time favorite cream and it was a super good price. I had actually went thru the purchase process for 2 of them! Then I sat and thought about it - I have other body creams in my stash, I know if I got these new ones I would feel guilty using it up first while others in my stash collect dust. Or I just added to my stash now and used up old ones, it made no sense to collect new ones that won't be used for months.

October 26 is my birthday so I will allow myself a fun purchase if I find something that I know I will love and be able to use now with no guilt. By then, most likely some of the November beauty specials will be posted. Will wait and see.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Compace friends. Well. I did really good in September and I am really controlling my spending. This month I do need a couple of things. I need a few items from Bobbibrown.com. I am out of the blonde eyeshadow that I use as a brow powder. I need the matte ivory powder that I use as a base and I am almost out of cement eyeshadow and desert pink blush. I am also going to order one of the emty container things so that  can make my own travel compact with all of my favorite things. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Why buy a premade compact when I only like a couple of the colors? This way I can make up a compact for travel with only my favorite colors.

I like a polished neutral look for my makeup so I am not in danger of buying any fall makeup as that would not go with my skintone. 

As for clothes I got rid of half of my wardrobe in the past six months. For fall though I only need a couple of items to add: a pair of navy tumbled leather everyday shoes from Clarks( have a 20% code for their site), a light blue washed oxford long sleeved top from LL. Bean to wear under sweaters and update my basic wardrobe, a merino wool sweater from JJIll  (will use coupon), and a slate blue wearever side-slit top from JJill for warmer days. I can wear that top three seasons this year so it is versatile. In the winter I hope to get a medium gray merino wool turtle neck sweater from brooks brothers or talbots, but I will need a really big coupon for that. I think that that is all I will need for some time. I am rreally making an effort to wear everything in my closet and not be tempted by sales, trends, and mindless shopping. I will, yes I will, only buy things that I have really thought about, that fit, and that I actually need. It is hard, but I have to resist things I don't need. 

I was able to not be tempted from buying anything on Creede Silver Day. I have enough jewelry for any event forever so I need to avoid temptation to buy anymore. 

I did buy a couple of things for skincare yesterday. I needed L'Occinane's shea body cream it lasts me one year and I needed another shea hand cream, but that is all I bought. I love those products and I consider them a need not a want. My skin is dry and these products work. I am not going to buy cheaper products just because I feel guilty spending a lot on these when they actually work. How many of us convince ourselves that we should buy less expensive products only to find out that they don't work as well. The same for DHC and Caudelie, these are two brands that I continue to buy because they work and therefore they are worth it. 

I am looking forward to our conversations this month!

Honored Contributor

Just have to post a link to the Balloon Fiesta videos.

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/event-info/web-cams

Trusted Contributor

Just Bee - The balloons look amazing!!! I would love to see it one day. Weren't we planning a Compacting road trip, we could make a stop to see it? LOL Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

Hello fellow compactors

Compacting is going good.  I did order an Antthony skirt but that´s because I wear skirts a lot & the last time I think I bought a new one was probable ten years ago & they´re starting to show their ages.  Apparently I¨ve been buying tops all along. I also ordered a long tunic from Q to wear with my leggings.  I needed this one because I threw away my old one.  It was stretched, and piling.  

But the good thing is I haven´t had to take money from my savings to pay any credit card bills since I think May.  I´ve even added an extra $50.00 a month to my savings.  I am hoping to do a no-buy for at least a year starting in January.  Seriously thinking about it.  I have stickies all over my house with the word ¨retirement¨ on them to remind me that I really want to retire & it´s soon approaching.

I think I have all the clothes I will need for a while unless I put one a lot of weight.  

I´ve found a webstite called frugalwoods dot com. It´s really cool.  

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Islandgirl67 - Great job adding more to your savings!! I like your stickies idea. What a great way to remind yourself of what is more important. I'm going to check out that website.

I had a moment when I looked at my easy pay installments listed on qvc and hsn, it showed the total due each month. I really went overboard spending! The easy pays make it seem like a good deal stretching it out until you see several of those payments lumped together. Ouch! It was quite the eye opener. This weekend when I have some free time, I'm going thru all of my skincare and makeup to determine if there is anything at all that I would actually "need" to buy. I think I could easily live off my stash for multiple months.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- October

[ Edited ]

Fall already!!  I love fall but enough with the rain.

Everyone is doing so well.  Congratulations!  I'm glad this thread has continued.  It is like a meeting that I attend to keep myself in check.

If you follow the quarterly rotation, it is time for a new toothbrush and mascara.

September was a fabulous month for me.  No beauty purchases!  October won't be a no buy because I have already made two purchases.  A curling iron to replace my broken one and the Isomers Super Serum TTV.  I really like this serum, and now I am set for a long time.  I will also need to buy body lotion this month.  That will be it.  No other purchases.

I bought a few fall/winter clothes that I allowed myself to buy but am having buyer's remorse.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it is because I have been doing so well recently controlling my buying that I am wondering if I could do without.  Do you ever feel that way?

Thank you for the balloon video, just bee.  How fun!  It makes me want to travel our country and see all of the regional festivals and sites.

Paws and enjoy life.
Super Contributor

For those of us who are still trying really hard to stop the spending, I have another motivation.

I was checking you tube & a lady was talking about going to the mall & buying some clothes, she thought about the number of hours she worked just to buy that outfit that she will never wear or I think hardly wear.  

I looked at 4 pairs of shoes I have that I have never worn & I think I worked 2-1/2 days to pay for them.  That´s time spent in traffice & having to put up with nonesense just to buy these shoes that I never wear.  

Talk about an eye opener!!!!