Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- November

@just bee wrote:

Oooh!  A new hobby!  A hobby is a great excuse to shop and spend money!  I need a useful hobby like plumbing, tree removal, stump grinding, car repair, drywall, landscaping, appliance repair, carpet laying, tiling, carpentry, roofing...

Why did I buy a house?  With a big yard, even.  Do I have kids?  No.

Okay.  I think you and I have a plan for 2016.  Pants with pockets and a handyman apprenticeship.  If I get good at bricklaying, I'm building an outdoor pizza oven!

----------------------

You know, I love tools. I am not handy by any stretch but I wish I was. I think I would actually love it. Of course, my back would not be a fan. 

Yes, I have a big phone too and what a pain in the keaster it is. I dont know what to do with it. I do carry a purse but sometimes just want to stick it in a pocket.  I am thinking about trading it in soon, I am due for an upgrade but.....

Respected Contributor

Just Bee - I have a LG 47 inch tv. I do like it but the sound is terrible. At least on mine. 

Dosey - good to see you posting. I cant even imagine what you must be feeling. Good that your daughter is dragging you out and about.  It gets you moving even when you dont feel like it. 

Findingmyjoy- one step forward 3 back you say, too funny, exactly how I feel.  I think it is in our blood. Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Alright, I cant sleep and am getting a bit annoyed.  Makes for a very unproductive day. Sleep is always elusive.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Congratulations, just bee!!!!  

Thanks!  I've been cleaning house so I haven't had an opportunity to celebrate.  Had the carpets cleaned yesterday and the house smells like a big wet dog this morning.  Speaking of dog, I feel sorry for him.  If the smell is strong to me, he must be suffering.  He couldn't eat breakfast.

I hate carpet.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

dosey wrote:

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.  I am trying to push through this but just can't.  I feel terrible and cannot believe that my sister is gone.  Black Friday is almost here.  DD and I usually have breakfast around 6:30 a.m. and then go to the mall.  She is really looking forward to going and is excited about the holidays.  I do not want to go.  I don't feel like doing anything.  I'll go because DD wants to, but sleeping sounds so much better.

To say your plate is full would be an understatement.  You need to prioritize.  The box of broken figurines (you didn't kick it when it arrived, did you?) and the bumper can wait.  Find a spot in the garage for the box and worry about it next year.  Maybe you can make a mosaic with the broken pieces.

It's time to focus on your family and the holidays.  Sounds like everything's happening at once (it always happens that way), so just get through it as gracefully as possible.  Remember: You're building character here.  Next thing you know, it'll be spring.

I think it's fortuitous that you were reminded of the TV repairman.  When I was little my mother moved us to Rogers Park, which was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood in Chicago.  When things are falling apart and I feel overwhelmed I always take a moment to think about those who faced the unimaginable.  People survive some terrible things.  I don't know how they do it.  But I know you'll get through this rough patch because your family's counting on you.  We are, too.  We missed you.

So figure out what you'll be wearing to the mall.  Remember: No eyeshadow.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Just Bee - Congratulations on the great grade! You earned it!

Dosey - Glad to see you back! Go do the Black Friday outing with your DD. Try to enjoy the time that you have with her. I'll be hitting a couple stores around the same time. I really like going around 6/7 am on Friday since all of the crazies have already stormed the stores and left hours ago! By the time that I get to Target, they have restocked everything and there are tons of cashiers waiting around bored. Same thing at Kohls. The only store I may hit on Thursday is Michaels craft store - but come on, crafters don't get rowdy do they? LOL We'll probably hit it on the drive back from my parents house.

The big thud you all may have heard was me falling off the Trying-to-be-good bandwagon. Did a shopping binge online....silver lining if there is one? I did catch myself after the purchase in time to cancel half of the stuff since I did think about it after hitting "submit". I can tell myself that some is gifts for others but a good chunk were just for me. My compact journey is 1 step forward and 3 steps back at times....

I avoid the malls during this time of year, but if we're going to get a TV, now is probably the time to do it.  Just be careful out there, and remember where you parked!

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Oooh!  A new hobby!  A hobby is a great excuse to shop and spend money!  I need a useful hobby like plumbing, tree removal, stump grinding, car repair, drywall, landscaping, appliance repair, carpet laying, tiling, carpentry, roofing...

Why did I buy a house?  With a big yard, even.  Do I have kids?  No.

Okay.  I think you and I have a plan for 2016.  Pants with pockets and a handyman apprenticeship.  If I get good at bricklaying, I'm building an outdoor pizza oven!

----------------------

You know, I love tools. I am not handy by any stretch but I wish I was. I think I would actually love it. Of course, my back would not be a fan. 

Yes, I have a big phone too and what a pain in the keaster it is. I dont know what to do with it. I do carry a purse but sometimes just want to stick it in a pocket.  I am thinking about trading it in soon, I am due for an upgrade but.....

I was fine with my little flip phone because it fit in my pocket.  I don't use my phone for anything other than receiving and making calls.  And I don't make that many.  Why do I need this thing?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Just Bee - I have a LG 47 inch tv. I do like it but the sound is terrible. At least on mine. 

Dosey - good to see you posting. I cant even imagine what you must be feeling. Good that your daughter is dragging you out and about.  It gets you moving even when you dont feel like it. 

Findingmyjoy- one step forward 3 back you say, too funny, exactly how I feel.  I think it is in our blood. Woman Very Happy

This Hitachi sure lived a long time.  I just don't feel like shopping for a new TV.  But I suppose it's time for the new technology.  Ugh.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Alright, I cant sleep and am getting a bit annoyed.  Makes for a very unproductive day. Sleep is always elusive.

People I work with take something to sleep.  I don't.  I work nights so my schedule is messed up.  Now that school's over, I'm hoping to get back on a more normal schedule.

What's keeping you up?  Have you read all the articles about sleep hygiene?  Is this intermittent or persistent?  Always elusive.  Sounds persistent.

Have you tried melatonin?

Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Just Bee - Congratulations on the great grade! You earned it!

Dosey - Glad to see you back! Go do the Black Friday outing with your DD. Try to enjoy the time that you have with her. I'll be hitting a couple stores around the same time. I really like going around 6/7 am on Friday since all of the crazies have already stormed the stores and left hours ago! By the time that I get to Target, they have restocked everything and there are tons of cashiers waiting around bored. Same thing at Kohls. The only store I may hit on Thursday is Michaels craft store - but come on, crafters don't get rowdy do they? LOL We'll probably hit it on the drive back from my parents house.

The big thud you all may have heard was me falling off the Trying-to-be-good bandwagon. Did a shopping binge online....silver lining if there is one? I did catch myself after the purchase in time to cancel half of the stuff since I did think about it after hitting "submit". I can tell myself that some is gifts for others but a good chunk were just for me. My compact journey is 1 step forward and 3 steps back at times....

You've never met my SIL!  Michaels is her store.

Paws and enjoy life.