Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?
The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.
Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.
They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.
Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- November

It's officially autumn: Baseball is over (congrats to the Royals and all their fans). 

Brand new month... who's got a big goal for November?  Who's got a big plan for fun?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Fred

A good man. A distinguished career. Multiple talents. Godspeed.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Fred

I have always ways liked him.  Definitely a life well lived. 

Respected Contributor

My goal for November is to keep my purchases to a minimum.  It will be hard as we go into the holidays. This time last year is when I went a bit crazy and didn't stop well into the next year. I was a bit out of control. So, I am going to be super mindful. I don't need mu or skincare at this point. 

It usually cures me to look through my mu and skincare so I will try and do that every so often to be reminded of what I have and need to use. It gets overwhelming so that will help me slow my roll. 

For fun though, this is definitely an area I need to work on. I have become a dud. 

Trusted Contributor

Aprilskies - I could have wrote your post! Last Nov/Dec was a very dangerous buying time for me.

November goal - To avoid going bonkers with a shopping spree if I try to do a No Buy this month, I'm allowing myself 2 fun purchases for me this month. The rule for the purchases - no impulse buys. It needs to be something I've researched and wanted for a while. Black Friday will be a major temptation but I'm going to have a plan to survive the month!

October was actually a pretty good month for my stashes. I did buy the Bare Minerals TSV preorder for my birthday gift to myself and bought replacements for my acne products from Paula's Choice. However, there had been a bunch of other beauty temptations so overall proud of my restraint. I did however splurge on the Joy Mangano wax warmers she had as a TS. I got them and have been trying them out. I'm only on day 3 of using the melts and already the scents are fading? Most likely was a fool believing her story that they would at least last a month. I'm going to try a couple other scents for a few days to see if it's same result. They will be returned if I continue to not be pleased with them. I bought them on the premise that they would be longer laster than things I can easily buy cheaper locally.

Trusted Contributor

My Fun plan = I'm a nerd, loved the Hunger Games books and enjoyed the movies. I will be going to see the final movie when it opens later this month. It doesn't have to be something huge or expensive to be considered "fun". Smiley Happy I call a good movie outing fun! Plus it's something to look forward to doing. Yes, I will also be going to the new Star Wars movie in December too.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Fred

I have always ways liked him.  Definitely a life well lived. 

I don't think most people are aware of his resume.  Impressive on so many levels.  I've always appreciated him -- his intellect, humor and talent -- and his wife and children are in my thoughts.  What a loss.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

My goal for November is to keep my purchases to a minimum.  It will be hard as we go into the holidays. This time last year is when I went a bit crazy and didn't stop well into the next year. I was a bit out of control. So, I am going to be super mindful. I don't need mu or skincare at this point. 

It usually cures me to look through my mu and skincare so I will try and do that every so often to be reminded of what I have and need to use. It gets overwhelming so that will help me slow my roll. 

For fun though, this is definitely an area I need to work on. I have become a dud. 

We need to un-dud ourselves.  I went to a class this morning at work, came home and did homework for school and now I have to hope for a nap before I go back to work tonight.  But I'm setting up some fun so I have things to look forward to.  Today and tonight will be long.  Then I will come home in the morning and work on an assignment that's due.  BUT...

I won't go to work tomorrow night.  Taking it off to go see The Beach Boys.  I've missed every concert that Better-half wants to see -- I need to work on that.  He definitely doesn't want to see The Beach Boys. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

My Fun plan = I'm a nerd, loved the Hunger Games books and enjoyed the movies. I will be going to see the final movie when it opens later this month. It doesn't have to be something huge or expensive to be considered "fun". Smiley Happy I call a good movie outing fun! Plus it's something to look forward to doing. Yes, I will also be going to the new Star Wars movie in December too.

A fun escape!  Better than crawling the mall because you won't be bringing anything home -- except maybe leftover popcorn.