Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- November

Wow, white choc peppermint tea with coco milk, sounds wonderful. I gave up buying teas because mine all went in the trash because they got old but this one sounds like a must try. I am more of a coffee drinker. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

No, but I have considered hanging myself.  At this point, becoming a non-TV person would be less stressful.  Is this like the whole thing about buying a pack of hot dogs and a pack of buns and they have a different number in each?  You buy a TV and the stands are too small?  Who decided this?

The same ones who decided to cut down the ounces on the cake baking mixes when all the recipes are based on the bigger size  They are drinking something out there. 

Oh, the humanity!!!

Meanwhile, the people, clueless, are watching cat videos...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

If you could give up smoking, you'll be able to ComPact!

It is crazy, it feels just as hard.  When I quit smoking, I pretty much avoided most of my trigger points, well the ones I could anyway.  I will need to stay out of stores and stop browzing sites. I can do it. 

When we were out in the stores the other night, trying our best to avoid getting into an accident while navigating from mall to mall, I realized that most of the people in the stores weren't shopping.  The malls have become giant entertainment centers -- mini-amusement parks -- and this is where people bring their kids.  Have you been on the trampolines at your mall or hung out at the big gumball machine kiosk?  We live in freaky times.

It has become easy for me to avoid the stores.  I stay far away from them and I'd stay even further away if I could have food and household items delivered to my door.  Going to the grocery store or Costco has become a major inconvenience.  I just want to go buy food.  I don't want my local grocer selling everything under the sun.  Same with restaurants.  I don't want a menu that looks and feels like War and Peace.  I don't want to choose from Italian, Mexican, Greek, Chinese, and whatever else from the multi-volume menu and I especially don't want to see sushi on the menu because I know it's not!  I want segregation back in restaurants!  I want Italian restaurants to be Italian and Japanese restaurants to be Japanese!  I don't want Vietnamese food at Chinese restaurants or Korean food at Japanese restaurants!  I want my bulgogi at a Korean restaurant and not at the local burger joint!  Just do one thing and do it well!!!!

This is why I've cut down big time on the shopping.  I'm unhinged.  You, too, can become unhinged.  Join the club!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Wow, white choc peppermint tea with coco milk, sounds wonderful. I gave up buying teas because mine all went in the trash because they got old but this one sounds like a must try. I am more of a coffee drinker. 

Hey, Joe!  We got another one here for TA!  Get the dolly!

If you plan to start experimenting with tea, be very careful.  It's a gateway drug, these fun flavored brews.  Next thing you know you'll be ordering specialty teas online -- leaves picked by pademelons in Tasmania -- that cost $259 a pound.

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- November,

@aprilskies wrote:
 Just Bee, I know, everything is just complicated and I am finding I am a simple low maintenance kind of girl.

Ah-ha!  That is the first step!  Now that you know this about yourself, you can begin shedding the unnecessary items that keep you from you.  Self-actualization!  I can see aprilskies in her bathroom and there is nothing but a seashell on the counter.  A small seashell.  One drawer holds her necessary items.  All six of them.  She opens her closet and can actually stand inside it because there is nothing piled on the floor.  She can see the wall behind her clothes because there is space between each color-coded item.  She spritzes on her signature fragrance, dresses, and goes to the kitchen where all her appliances sit neatly on shelves in a closet and are used weekly (since she has become quite the baker and is selling her cookies online for $79 a dozen.  Secret ingredient: Tiny purple tea leaves picked by Tasmanian pademelons).

Honored Contributor

All right ladies, get ready.  Gird your loins!  Today is the last day of November.  Tomorrow is the first day of December.

I have something special planned for us...

color

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dosey,

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister.  It must be very painful for you and your family.  It’s so hard to lose any family member, but losing a younger sibling is especially hard.  You can accept it easier when it’s someone older, but not so when it’s a younger person—somehow that just doesn’t seem right.  It’s hard to feel thankful at a time like that, but sharing memories helps to ease the pain.  It also helps to make us remember what really is important in life and not to let the little superficial things get us down.

@just bee,

Congratulations!  It must feel strange to finally be a free woman.  And for heaven’s sake, don’t use your time to clean house, do frivolous stuff—better yet, do nothing at all for a while, a long while.  You deserve it.

As for your TV situation, we had to bit the bullet this past winter.  Our old tube television was fine, but our satellite system needed replacing and it seemed silly to replace that with an old TV.  The new ones have their advantages and disadvantages so I don’t really have a recommendation one way or another.  We do use our TV a lot, but we don’t watch what most people do.  Business news mostly, then regular ‘news’ (I use that term loosely) and I watch a lot of PBS.  I could make do with just free stations if we lived in an urban area.  And if my husband used the internet, he could do without TV altogether.   If we were younger, more tech-savvy and living in the city, we probably could live very well without conventional television.

Having dealt with illness, death, and not the least, a new puppy in the last few months, I’ve re-discovered that most of what is being promoted as ‘necessary’ in modern life is not. However, the spending money part--if it's on something you really want to do--is totally different!  Yep, I can justify anything!

New puppy?  Heart

Details?

(It's always wonderful to hear from you, G!)

I had a feeling those two words might spark your interest!  Yes, a new puppy.  A three-month-old Rottweiler, can you believe it?  Just what a couple of reclusive senior citizens need is a baby Tazmanian Devil.  She's adorable, full of too much energy and now is apparently leery of strangers, which is anybody other than my husband and myself. 

We just got back from the third vet visit and she's decided that she's going to growl at everyone in the office.  Great.  The vet was thrilled--not!  For heaven's sake, she's just a baby!  And I haven't been able to take her anywhere off our property because she didn't have enough vaccinations yet!  Criminy--and this guy works with animals?  (I may be in the market for a new vet...)

Yup, my house is a mess, I'm a mess, and I'm surprised my marriage is still intact.  The first few weeks were a complete disaster.  He hated her and I loved her.  Now I'm thinking she needs to go and he's in love!  Maybe it's the four days of solid rain we've just had that may be the problem.  I have to admit she is a absolute love, not a vicious bone in her body, but the little darlin' is dense!  I mean that in the physical sense--mentally she's smarter than both of us and bored out of her mind.  But already I'm finding that she's hard for me to reprimand physically. Thankfully we have a friend that is a Rottweiler fanatic and has one of her older half-sisters that comes to play.  And now that I can take her out in public a little, maybe we can work on that people-fear.  But dang, she's already an excellent watch dog--provided you knock on the door first!

I've been away a bit, and I'm really not sure I'll be around a whole lot from now on.  I found while I was busy with other stuff the last few months that staying off the internet was a good thing for me.  Much like you have mentioned in previous posts, not even browsing at stuff helps.  And not seeing the silly stuff that passes for news on various sites keeps my blood pressure down.  Right now what's most important to me is keeping the pup from peeing in the house--now that's real life!  Take care, bee, good to know you're doing well, I have missed this place.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

I had a feeling those two words might spark your interest!  Yes, a new puppy.  A three-month-old Rottweiler, can you believe it?  Just what a couple of reclusive senior citizens need is a baby Tazmanian Devil.  She's adorable, full of too much energy and now is apparently leery of strangers, which is anybody other than my husband and myself. 

We just got back from the third vet visit and she's decided that she's going to growl at everyone in the office.  Great.  The vet was thrilled--not!  For heaven's sake, she's just a baby!  And I haven't been able to take her anywhere off our property because she didn't have enough vaccinations yet!  Criminy--and this guy works with animals?  (I may be in the market for a new vet...)

Yup, my house is a mess, I'm a mess, and I'm surprised my marriage is still intact.  The first few weeks were a complete disaster.  He hated her and I loved her.  Now I'm thinking she needs to go and he's in love!  Maybe it's the four days of solid rain we've just had that may be the problem.  I have to admit she is a absolute love, not a vicious bone in her body, but the little darlin' is dense!  I mean that in the physical sense--mentally she's smarter than both of us and bored out of her mind.  But already I'm finding that she's hard for me to reprimand physically. Thankfully we have a friend that is a Rottweiler fanatic and has one of her older half-sisters that comes to play.  And now that I can take her out in public a little, maybe we can work on that people-fear.  But dang, she's already an excellent watch dog--provided you knock on the door first!

I've been away a bit, and I'm really not sure I'll be around a whole lot from now on.  I found while I was busy with other stuff the last few months that staying off the internet was a good thing for me.  Much like you have mentioned in previous posts, not even browsing at stuff helps.  And not seeing the silly stuff that passes for news on various sites keeps my blood pressure down.  Right now what's most important to me is keeping the pup from peeing in the house--now that's real life!  Take care, bee, good to know you're doing well, I have missed this place.  

Carl

Carl

Carl

Carl

The irony!!!

We just got home and as we were driving along I spotted two Rotties in the backseat of the car next to us.  They were big!  Five minutes later, I see you have a Rottie puppy!  Always a big fan of the Carl books -- have you seen them?

Stop everything you're doing and give up all your hobbies: You now have one hobby and that's keeping your new pup intellectually stimulated!  It will be a full-time job, but a good Rottie is a wonderful thing.  Socialize her as soon as she's safe, vaccine-wise.  Teach her -- she needs to stay interested.  A bored Rottie is an unhappy Rottie.  By April, she'll be doing your taxes.

Carl

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Carl

Carl

Carl

Carl

The irony!!!

We just got home and as we were driving along I spotted two Rotties in the backseat of the car next to us.  They were big!  Five minutes later, I see you have a Rottie puppy!  Always a big fan of the Carl books -- have you seen them?

Stop everything you're doing and give up all your hobbies: You now have one hobby and that's keeping your new pup intellectually stimulated!  It will be a full-time job, but a good Rottie is a wonderful thing.  Socialize her as soon as she's safe, vaccine-wise.  Teach her -- she needs to stay interested.  A bored Rottie is an unhappy Rottie.  By April, she'll be doing your taxes.

Carl

Boy, have you got that right!  She's brilliant, energetic and bored.  I've been fighting with her (at least it seemed like fighting, she was just being herself) the last six weeks on training to leash.  Yesterday, my body bruised and broken, I told my husband I had had enough.  This morning he takes her out (first time) on the leash, comes back and says she was almost perfect--like she was showing off her knowledge.  Guess she absorbed something after all, or she was just making a fool of me.  (My guess is the latter.)

If we can survive the next few months, she's going to be a wonderful dog.  Oh, and yes, I've seen some of the "Carl" books.  I can only dream at this point our girl would turn out half that good!