Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- November

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

JustBee, I was surprised to realize I even have a tea stash. 

I have a tea tin stash.  I bought tea in tins when I was in college in the 70s and I still have those tins.  My stepfather's mother had a couple interesting tins, too, and I ended up with them.  I'd guess these were from the 40s or 50s.  I made the mistake of buying some sale teas from Harney & Sons that were in tins.  As soon as Better-half saw them he asked, "You're never going to throw those away, are you?"

They're pretty.  Note to self: Buy loose tea in the big resealable throwawayable bags.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/38/Ontario_FeederWatch/

I'm still watching the barn owls in Italy, Texas, but now there's a camera in someone's backyard in Ontario.  And then there's the hummingbird cam...

Yes.  Yes, I am procrastinating. 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

I have a memory garden where I've planted things that represent people I have lost.  I would plant a yellow rose bush there, but the location isn't good for roses.  This spring, I will plant one in a place that is better for roses.  Also, I am going to be there for my sister's sons.  They are young adults, but there will be times when they need to talk to their mother, and I will try to fill that role as best as I can.

Just in case you haven't heard it lately, you're a good egg, dosey.

Dosey - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I also think it's wonderful that you have a memory garden and your plans to be there for your sister's sons. You're a very wonderful, caring person. Your loved ones are lucky to have you and vice versa.

Trusted Contributor

@MeadowLark wrote:

I am new to the board and have failed to stop buying beauty items,wanted to stop and shop my items I already have.  And looking at how much I owe just in easy pays just made me sick to my stomach!  Help!  Need to stop buying and use what I have

Welcome MeadowLark!!

You have already received some very good advice from the wonderful people on this Compact thread Smiley Very Happy They are very wise!!!

In my own compacting, I have found it's often easier to start with baby steps. Stop the purchasing of 1 type of item that you already have in abundance. Just seeing 1 section start getting used up can be a good push to expand to another area. It could be something that you think could be a great product or Holy Grail for you. My area was body care products - had HUGE supply of body creams and shower gels. I'm happy to say that both areas have seen a really good reduction since I'm using more and buying less. No I haven't been perfect but it's progress. Progress that means that I'm able to enjoy what I have plus the occassional new purchase. I tried doing the cold turkey No Buy and I found that I would have a major splurge then feel guilty about it. This monthly thread has really helped me to STOP and THINK before hitting that darn submit order button.

A temptation that has been taunting me - the IT Cosmetics holiday palette that includes many different products. I definitely don't need eyeshadows, or bronzer, or highlighters but it's just too darn pretty!! LOL. I've been able to avoid buying it since I KNOW that I hate palettes that mix cream and powder products. The cream products always get dirty with dust from the powders. I don't understand why companies put them together? If the cream products would have been separate, can bet that I would have bought it. So thank you IT Cosmetics for mixing them. Made saying NO easier for me on this 1 item.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@MeadowLark wrote:

I am new to the board and have failed to stop buying beauty items,wanted to stop and shop my items I already have.  And looking at how much I owe just in easy pays just made me sick to my stomach!  Help!  Need to stop buying and use what I have

Welcome MeadowLark!!

You have already received some very good advice from the wonderful people on this Compact thread Smiley Very Happy They are very wise!!!

In my own compacting, I have found it's often easier to start with baby steps. Stop the purchasing of 1 type of item that you already have in abundance. Just seeing 1 section start getting used up can be a good push to expand to another area. It could be something that you think could be a great product or Holy Grail for you. My area was body care products - had HUGE supply of body creams and shower gels. I'm happy to say that both areas have seen a really good reduction since I'm using more and buying less. No I haven't been perfect but it's progress. Progress that means that I'm able to enjoy what I have plus the occassional new purchase. I tried doing the cold turkey No Buy and I found that I would have a major splurge then feel guilty about it. This monthly thread has really helped me to STOP and THINK before hitting that darn submit order button.

One of the first things I did was cancel all those autodeliveries that were supposedly saving me money.  The prices were good, yes, but not if the products weren't being used and they ended up in the trash.  I was spending too much time changing the delivery dates -- pushing them back as much as possible -- because I just wasn't using the products quickly enough to justify another delivery.  I finally just dropped them all.
Then I stopped browsing.  If I get on some website, pretty things and sale prices are going to get my attention.  Same story when I go into a brick and mortar store.  I avoid certain aisles.  I go in with a plan and know what I need to buy, and I get in and get out.  If I wander over to the beauty items or the dog toys or the mugs, I'm going to be tempted to pick up something I don't need.  I have to avoid bookstores and school supplies.  There was a time I couldn't go out without buying pens and stationery and greeting cards.
I had to stop looking at jewelry.  I have pieces I thought I had to have, yet I've never worn them.  Same story with shoes.  I wear the same pair to work even though I have more than a dozen different styles and colors.  Why do I collect shoes that just sit in their boxes?
Does any of this sound familiar?  Does any of this sound normal or healthy?  Again, focus on the area the causes the most stress for you.  If you died tomorrow and strangers came into your home, which collection would get them taking photos with their cell phones?  Is it your ceramic chicken collection (no, that would be me)?  Your gargoyles (no, that would be me)?  Your Rude Dog shirts (no, that would be me)?
We all have collections that need to be addressed.  The best thing you can do now is stop adding to the collections.
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

I have a memory garden where I've planted things that represent people I have lost.  I would plant a yellow rose bush there, but the location isn't good for roses.  This spring, I will plant one in a place that is better for roses.  Also, I am going to be there for my sister's sons.  They are young adults, but there will be times when they need to talk to their mother, and I will try to fill that role as best as I can.

Dosey - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I also think it's wonderful that you have a memory garden and your plans to be there for your sister's sons. You're a very wonderful, caring person. Your loved ones are lucky to have you and vice versa.

I couldn't say it better.  We're lucky to have you here on this thread and we all look forward to your posts.  I hope you know you're in our thoughts and we're missing you.

Trusted Contributor

Dosey - So very sorry for your loss.  Please take care of yourself.

Valued Contributor

Dosey, I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost a brother 6 years ago, and I think about him so often and miss him very much.  Prayers and hugs for you during this most difficult time.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

Most definitely!  Dosey, you are a treasure.  

Honored Contributor

Well... I'm done.  I turned in my final paper -- the BIG one -- and today will be my first real day off because I won't have any homework to do.

Talk about surreal. 

So... we are halfway through the month: How's everyone doing?  My big project now is to collect all my stacks of paper that I've compiled from school and get them off my desk and my diningroom table.  Books can return to the shelves.  I'm going to throw away my two pairs of tattered jeans and my holey alma mater T-shirt today.  I have a new alma mater.  Three now, actually.  Happily, I didn't buy any T-shirts from the last two.  Did I ever mention that I have two old shirts from my university that misspelled the name of the school?  Where's my red pen? 

I'm done!  Now I have to wait to see my final grade.  I won't really be done until I get the diploma in my hand.  But I won't have a syllabus this week.  Or next week.  My next project: Board certification.  And I have to get the house and yard in shape.

Walgreens has a sale on Lumene, so I might pick up a tube of CC cream.  I flirted with the idea of giving it up, but I'm not there yet.  It's a small investment to look presentable.

Hope you're all doing well as the holiday season ramps up.  Thoughts go out to our first ally.

France