Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- November

@dosey wrote:

I have a memory garden where I've planted things that represent people I have lost.  I would plant a yellow rose bush there, but the location isn't good for roses.  This spring, I will plant one in a place that is better for roses.  Also, I am going to be there for my sister's sons.  They are young adults, but there will be times when they need to talk to their mother, and I will try to fill that role as best as I can.

Just in case you haven't heard it lately, you're a good egg, dosey.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Dosey,

I am so sorry to read about your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.

Trusted Contributor

Dosey,

So sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family. Sending you and yours prayers. Hugs to you. Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am new to the board and have failed to stop buying beauty items,wanted to stop and shop my items I already have.  And looking at how much I owe just in easy pays just made me sick to my stomach!  Help!  Need to stop buying and use what I have

Respected Contributor

@MeadowLark wrote:

I am to the board and have failed to stop buying beauty items,wanted to stop and shop my items I already have.  And looking at how much I owe just in easy pays just made me sick to my stomach!  Help!  Need to stop buying and use what I have

It takes some time to gain control.  At least, it did for me. So, give yourself some slack.  The first thing I would do at this point is organize your stuff if you havent already, turn off the advertisements and don't allow yourself to be swayed by all the new products out there.  It is very hard, for sure, but stopping the flow is really key. After a few years of Compacting, I still find myself intrigued.  Also, if it is hard for you to get a grip, stop buying one thing at a time, for ex, if it is shower gels and you have 50 milion of them, dont buy anymore.  Once you gain control there, move to the next thing.  That is how I had to do it. I couldnt do it all at once.

Emotions for me played a big part in my spending.  When I was bored, depressed, stressed, etc, I would find myself buying and buying so you have to be aware of your triggers and work on them.  It isn't easy and it wont be perfect so allow for that. 

Good luck.  If you feel weak, post here and one of these ladies will pull you down off the ledge and remind you of all the things you already have.  

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@MeadowLark wrote:

I am to the board and have failed to stop buying beauty items,wanted to stop and shop my items I already have.  And looking at how much I owe just in easy pays just made me sick to my stomach!  Help!  Need to stop buying and use what I have

It takes some time to gain control.  At least, it did for me. So, give yourself some slack.  The first thing I would do at this point is organize your stuff if you havent already, turn off the advertisements and don't allow yourself to be swayed by all the new products out there.  It is very hard, for sure, but stopping the flow is really key. After a few years of Compacting, I still find myself intrigued.  Also, if it is hard for you to get a grip, stop buying one thing at a time, for ex, if it is shower gels and you have 50 milion of them, dont buy anymore.  Once you gain control there, move to the next thing.  That is how I had to do it. I couldnt do it all at once.

Emotions for me played a big part in my spending.  When I was bored, depressed, stressed, etc, I would find myself buying and buying so you have to be aware of your triggers and work on them.  It isn't easy and it wont be perfect so allow for that. 

Good luck.  If you feel weak, post here and one of these ladies will pull you down off the ledge and remind you of all the things you already have.  

Very good advice aprilskies! Welcome MeadowLark!

Ive set a couple of rules for myself that work for me. If its open I use it up. One showergel for myself,moisturizer etc. Makes me see how long one thing can last and see how many backups I already have in the stash. I've been working on one blush palette FOREVER! Its amazing how long one blush will last. It helped me stop the flow of new products coming in.

If I do buy something I give away, have used up or have thrown away something from stash. One in, one out. Don't want the stash any bigger. I really have to like what I'm buying since something else has to go.

I post on this thread, and the weekly Friday thread What have you used up this week. Helps keep me accountable. Also the support on this thread has been so amazingly helpful to me.

Realize its ok if you have a bump in the road. Just pick yourself up and try again. Start small with one area you want to reduce when you see a sense of accomplishment it will spread! I'm almost done with my insane amount of handsoaps! Woohoo!!

You can do this MeadowLark we are here to cheer you on and help!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Frequent Contributor

aprilskies you truely understand and I feel the same as you ,it is emotional spending,just didn't know that is what it was but thinking about it,yes thats what I am doing and will do what you said to do. Thank you thank you for being here on this boardWoman Happy

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much kathie66 Smiley Happy  Glad I was told about this board

Honored Contributor

@MeadowLark wrote:

Thank you so much kathie66 Smiley Happy  Glad I was told about this board

Do an inventory.  Get everything out of hiding and count it.  It's easier to avoid buying a new item when you know you have 67 similar items in your closet.  I haven't bought a new shower gel in years and I still have years of gels in the house.  Like aprilskies said, start with one area, then go from there.  What is the one area you're most concerned about?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

I definitely takes time to change this behavior; and it seems to always be there to take back over.  I feel like I still have too many items to take inventory.  If I get to the point when I think I am out of something, it may be time for me to start dragging things out and doing the inventory, but I am so not there yet.  I did make some purchase the other day at the grocery.  I just happened to see the closeouts on hair conditioners.  I did pick up some, but I did not buy every one of them like I would have in the past.  JustBee, I was surprised to realize I even have a tea stash. 

I hope all of you are doing well, I have been reading along, but, for some reason, had problems signing in.  My guardian angel not wanting me to purchase Lunchtime Specials.