Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Hi girls, just checking in here. 

Not really doing a lot over here, not using up a lot, but not really buying much either.......yet. I'm really hoping that I can resist all the SKINN special prices this week. I bought several of his kits in the past and really wasn't wowed by anything, but I did like one of his serums. I don't need anything, I'd like to just get the one serum, not a whole kit. I'll scope out the prices, but unless it's a massively good price or something I'll actually use, I'm going to try to hold out. The lure of the bargain is so strong!

I did help my hubby clean out his pole barn a little bit on Monday. That's like a once a year project and it gets pretty nasty. He didn't get rid of a ton of stuff, but he did let go of a few things, so I was happy about that, and it did get swept out and cleaned some. I don't usually even go in there, I try to avoid it because it's so gross. So while it's not perfect, it's a lot better than it was, so that's nice. 

Wow, I sure can relate to this!  And I'm wondering how you ever got your husband to even consider cleaning (or even just straightening) his barn?!  I try not to venture into our outbuildings, except when I need the lawnmower.  I don't see how my husband can even find a thing, it's such a jumble!  And the garage!  Forget about that, too.  I straighten a little around the edges and sweep, but no way can I even think about cleaning, or worse yet, throwing anything away.  What do we need empty cans or years-old cardboard boxes for?

Oh well, the poor guy doesn't really have much space to call his own in the house, so I guess I have to give him a break, especially since he never complains about anything I buy and keep that I'm sure he considers useless.

Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- July

[ Edited ]

aprilskies wrote:
Geezertette, too funny. Well, you helped me out so you are a wizard in my book.

Aw shucks. Cat Embarassed Thanks aprilskies, you're sweet to say that. Heart  And I'm just glad that you can find your way around here a little better, no matter how you found out.  We need our "Compact Ladies"!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- July

[ Edited ]

Hi, everyone!  Last week was busy.  I did a little decluttering and have two bags of things ready to go.  Also, there were some good clothing sales for DS, so his back to school shopping is done.  We found him two pairs of shoes, too.  Shopping with DS is enjoyable.  He likes buying new clothes but doesn't go overboard.  He'll say, "Okay, I have enough."  What a treat!  DD is the opposite.  She dislikes shopping for anything except books.  We did buy her a pair of Keds because she found them online.  They'll be here on Wednesday.  All that is left to buy for school are school supplies and jeans for DD.  We'll tackle that in August.

My 89 yo MIL is coming for a weeklong visit and will be here tomorrow afternoon.   We cleaned the house today, and I am rewashing the linens that she will be using to freshen them.  Tomorrow, I'll buy groceries and do some last minute things around the house.  We are trying to convince her to move here because although her mind is sharp, her mobility is very poor.  (I can't believe she is flying here, but that wasn't my decision.)  She has lived in the same home for about 40 years and is nervous about moving.  I understand that.  I told her that there is a single story home for sale on my street.  It has hardwood floors, so she would be able to move easily throughout.  MIL said she would like to see it.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Aprilskies, I don't know what to tell you about collectibles.  I have them, too, in boxes and drawers and really want to just throw them away but haven't.  Maybe when I become an empty nester and have a massive purge I'll let them go.

Also, I have only one beauty purchase coming in this month.  DHC puts White Sunscreen on sale every July, and I stock up.  Like aprilskies, I am waiting for Isomers' anniversary visit and hoping for a great Vitamin C kit.  I remember Isomers had a Christmas in July sale on their website last July 25.  I didn't buy anything, but if they have any C products at a great price I might buy.  I'm really not sure since I don't know what Evine is going to offer.  It is one of those wait and see situations.  So there will probably be an Isomers purchase in July or August.  After that, I am set.

FindingMyJoy, I am sorry the Borghese TTV didn't work out for you.  Isn't the enthusiasm on this board for the muds contagious!?  I wanted the TTV only for the scrub and cream.  I already have the green mud along with the pink mud for brightness and another one.  I can't remember the color, but it is for moisture.  I like the pink one and am saving the moisture mud for this winter, but I am simply not crazy about the green mud (Fango?).  It has been demoted to my body.  I apply it all over except for my feet, then I wait.  Yes, I wait in the bathroom for five minutes, shivering from the A/C, and feeling stupid.  Then, I shower if off.  I tried applying it to my feet, but that was really awkward - sitting on the side of the tub waiting five minutes with my feet barely touching the tub.  Just not spa-like or relaxing.

Finally, I opened a cream that was actually meant for my neck.  I have been using demoted face creams for so long I didn't think I'd ever get to this neck cream.  Well, the silly thing caused me to break out!  Ugh!  Now, it has been demoted to my hands.

Please keep my MIL in your thoughts and prayers.  I am very nervous about her traveling alone.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Oh, I finished a bottle of sunscreen.  Yay!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

Today is Monday Funday.  A bit of an overstatement because none of my Mondays have been that much fun since I decided to make the day my official day off.  But today I have something to look forward to -- I hope.  I've been drinking Bigelow tea for the past few months because I didn't want to order my usual tea online.  I tell ya, bad tea does not make you want to get up in the morning.  I finaly broke down and ordered a couple new teas and they've been sitting at UPS in Albuquerque since Friday.  They should be delivered today.  The bad news is that I've been avoiding tea on Tuesday mornings because I work Tuesday night.  I always think I'll catch a nap but I usually don't.  Maybe I'll just sniff them when they show up today.  This order took so long to get here that I can't even remember which teas I ordered.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start buying tea locally.  There are a few tea shops -- I must check them out.

Other than that, work is weird and the weather's been great.  Lots of rain here in the high desert.  Oh -- almost forgot.  I was close to talking myself out of it, but then I just went ahead and bought concert tickets.  Everybody's touring and I'm gonna miss them because I work those nights, but I'm going to make sure I see at least one concert this summer.  Got tickets for Colin Hay, Barenaked Ladies and Violent Femmes. Let's place bets now: Will it rain on us this Friday?

(We got soaked last summer at the Ringo show so I won't be surprised.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

My 89 yo MIL is coming for a weeklong visit and will be here tomorrow afternoon.   We cleaned the house today, and I am rewashing the linens that she will be using to freshen them.  Tomorrow, I'll buy groceries and do some last minute things around the house.  We are trying to convince her to move here because although her mind is sharp, her mobility is very poor.  (I can't believe she is flying here, but that wasn't my decision.)  She has lived in the same home for about 40 years and is nervous about moving.  I understand that.  I told her that there is a single story home for sale on my street.  It has hardwood floors, so she would be able to move easily throughout.  MIL said she would like to see it.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Please keep my MIL in your thoughts and prayers.  I am very nervous about her traveling alone.

This will be an adventure!  My mother had Alzheimer's when my sister put her on a plane alone and sent her to me.  She was just fine.  How great it would be to have her on the same block and be so close to the kids.  Independent in her own home, but close enough in case of emergencies.  I had the fantasy when I moved here: I'd hoped my mother and sister would move out and live on the same block.  My mother did move out eventually, but it wasn't how I'd hoped.

Maybe she'll love the new house and say yes.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

So many good points to remember.  Thanks for posting, April.  I think this would be beneficial for a lot of us.  I continue to revisit my stash, but reorganizing it really emphasizes how much you actually have.  When the clothes don't fit in the closets or drawers, maybe you don't need more.  Seems so elementary, but yet I struggle.

I went out last week to buy new jeans.  I really want cargo pants, but I thought I'd just go out and see what's out there.  What's out there is ugly clothes.  Better-half and I went from store to store and bought nothing.  I finally ended up picking up a pair of cheap jeans at Costco.  So the urge to buy clothes is dead for me.  Just wish I could get over buying shoes.  I have so many pairs of Alegrias that I have never worn.  Every month I tell myself that I'll wear a different pair each day at work but I don't.  Why is this?

Honored Contributor

I was worried about Mrs. Dove (who's nesting over the garage door) because we had a wicked storm yesterday.  I noticed Mr. Dove was also in the nest and then I saw something else.  Went back into the house and grabbed my binos.  I see a baby dove!  I don't know if there's only one, but I haven't seen any evidence of broken eggs in my driveway, so this nest has been a success.  Can't believe the size of that kid.  How long has that nest been there?

I think I need a vacation.

Honored Contributor

Albatross cam is officially offline now.  Here's a video recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHCVgnE7tlk&feature=youtu.be

I'm so going to miss the barn owls!

Respected Contributor
Dosey, I will keep your mother in law in my prayers. I hope she arrives safely. Hopefully, she will like the house that is available and moves so she can be close by.