Honored Contributor

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Hope everyone had a wonderful Independence Day.  As I stood in my driveway last night and watched fireworks across the city, I heard a sound behind me.  Amazing, since I was surrounded by neighbors who were setting off illegal devices (another July 4th, another night in Baghdad) and the snap-crackle-whizz-pop was LOUD.  But what I heard was a mourning dove.  She's built a nest over my garage door.

Doves have nested in this spot before with mixed results.  I wish her well.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- July

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:
Rnmom, I am glad you found a job that better suits your lifestyle and will now allow you to get back into decluttering mode.

Good luck!

My decluttering has been in limbo because of the whole school/work thing.  I've been good about stopping the flow and have pretty much made that a habit.  But I still need some purging.  I plan to get back to it once school is over.

But I'm also thinking about a job change.  I like working in psych and I don't have a problem with the actual work.  But there's a thin line between the patients and the staff.  Sometimes I have to wonder: Who's crazier?  I can deal with the crazy patients, but the crazy coworkers are really dangerous.

I'm at a loss.  Where would I want to work?  Hospice is the only other area that really interests me.  I do miss the babies I worked with as a tech, but I don't believe in "going home again."  I always thought I'd volunteer as a cuddler at the hospital once I was finished with school and had more time.  Then I could just sit with the withdrawal babies and sing songs from Broadway musicals and tell them about what great food they had to look forward to once they got their teeth.

What to do, what to do.

Honored Contributor

USA - 5

Japan - 2

Trusted Contributor

I've been doing a little birthday shopping...for me.  I picked up a couple of sheer lipsticks since I've been using up my lipsticks at a good rate.  When I use one lipstick everyday instead of switching between ten, I actually use up that lipstick.  Go figure.  I also got my Sephora bday gift and took advantage of a sample code to get some Fresh Sugar minis.  I'm loving the minis!  I can actually use those up.

DH is ordering me a rowing machine.  The last couple of years I have had no desire to exercise and it's really starting to hit me.  In addition to the one year older factor, that means my clothes are getting tight, eek.  I really don't want to buy clothes in a larger size, so we'll put that money into the rower.  It's a full body workout right in my back patio.

A few months ago I purchased a couple things from a new start up beauty company, Stowaway.  I've been using the BB cream and concealer every day.  Their claims are true, it's high quality products that are right-sized.  I got an email from them saying that it's time to reorder.  But I'm no where near finished with the products.  It's funny, even when I "right-size" my cosmetics, I still get pressure from the company to buy, buy, buy when I'm not ready.  At least this time I will not give in to the pressure.  Even if this company doesn't make it and I can no longer get the products that I use up, I know there will be something else ready to take their place.

I'm still on a no-buy for eyeshadows.  That bug killed any desire to buy a new eyeshadow palette.  I guess I should thank the bug.

I've been using an Inglot gel eyeliner that I bought last year.  It's still really creamy and it's practically bulletproof.  But I hate washing the brush after every use.  I heard that gel eyeliner has a 2 month expiration.  Ridiculous.  Mine is WAY older than that.  But I will be tossing it at the one year mark, which is in a couple of months, because of the brush washing.  Deal breaker.  

In January I bought a Sephora kit of sample sized cleansers.  I'm working on finishing the last few.  It was fun to try out new things but in the end, I'm going back to my Cerave cleanser.  I got the Makeup Eraser towel and that, in combination with the Cerave is working for me.  All those fancy cleansing oils still left a mascara residue that I had to remove with coconut oil.  Too many steps for such a pricey product.  Again, love the minis.  Got to satisfy my lemming for something new without the commitment.  

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:
Here is something funny that I have noticed lately that never occurred to me before. I have never gotten so many coupons from HSN. I never used the first one they sent me and I have gotten two additional ones since then. Sometimes, I am tempted but no, there will be more coupons in the future. I havent really shopped at Kohls for a while now and consistently I have been getting 30% off coupons. Coupons used to get me big time and while they are still tempting, I am letting them go. Just like there will be another sale, there will be another coupon and, these days, you dont have to wait long for it.

Too true!  They need us more than we need them.  There will always be another sale and coupon.

Trusted Contributor

Dosey, I agree that Coco's age & lack of offspring allow her to live the spartan life.  I could not do it now at my age and lifestage.  But I wish I had been as wise when I was her age.  I could have saved a lot of money!  And wouldn't have been in such a rush to buy a home.  When DH was in grad school, he took the max amount of student loans so that we could live comfortably.  We spent 13 years after he graduated paying those loans back.  If we had lived like Coco, we probably could have lived on 1/4 the amount.  Makes me a little sick to think about it.  But I'm trying to instill that in my kids before they leave the nest so they don't make the same mistakes.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:
Rnmom, I am glad you found a job that better suits your lifestyle and will now allow you to get back into decluttering mode.

Good luck!

My decluttering has been in limbo because of the whole school/work thing.  I've been good about stopping the flow and have pretty much made that a habit.  But I still need some purging.  I plan to get back to it once school is over.

But I'm also thinking about a job change.  I like working in psych and I don't have a problem with the actual work.  But there's a thin line between the patients and the staff.  Sometimes I have to wonder: Who's crazier?  I can deal with the crazy patients, but the crazy coworkers are really dangerous.

I'm at a loss.  Where would I want to work?  Hospice is the only other area that really interests me.  I do miss the babies I worked with as a tech, but I don't believe in "going home again."  I always thought I'd volunteer as a cuddler at the hospital once I was finished with school and had more time.  Then I could just sit with the withdrawal babies and sing songs from Broadway musicals and tell them about what great food they had to look forward to once they got their teeth.

What to do, what to do.

Cuddling & serenading babies sounds pretty sweet.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Good luck!

What to do, what to do.

Cuddling & serenading babies sounds pretty sweet.

It's sad because the nurses and techs really don't have time to hold the babies and give them individual attention.  A lot of these kids have substandard parents who, even when they do show up to visit the baby, sit and play with their phones instead of holding the infant.  They don't interact with the baby -- they don't talk to the baby.  Whenever I need to give a baby shower gift, I give books.  I like the idea of starting a kid's library before he's even born.  Parents should be reading to the babies from Day One.  Talk to them, sing to them -- tell them jokes.  Explain big concepts like pizza.

That's what I miss about working with the babies.  Our hospital has a cuddler program and there were times we really depended on those cuddlers when babies were withdrawing from drugs.  Maybe you'd like to be a cuddler?

Trusted Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I'm still on a no-buy for eyeshadows.  That bug killed any desire to buy a new eyeshadow palette.  I guess I should thank the bug.

Thank for you sharing the story regarding the bug in the old eyeshadow. I'm going to hold on to that story to prevent myself from being tempted to buy new eye pallettes. I have plenty already in my stash and shouldn't buy anymore but gosh darn it, they are too pretty!