Trusted Contributor
On 5/24/2014 just bee said:
On 5/23/2014 Oshare-girl said:
On 5/23/2014 just bee said:

This is so funny! I can just picture my doggy doing that. He's a King Charles Cavalier that loves chicken & rice. Or anything he finds on the floor. Thanks for the laugh Bee!

This is one of those breeds that I suspect owners don't want others to know about for fear that the breed will be ruined. Those who have them love them. Really great personalities. Very sweet.

Too true! My Cav is the sweetest thing. He's one step beyond a lap dog, he's a NAP dog. I never even heard of this breed until my DH's classmate mentioned that he breeds them. We were given the runt and they planned to breed him to keep the size small. Long story short, he's not a stud but we love him. He enjoys a walk but will be perfectly fine without one too. He has the cutest heart shaped spot on the top of his head. Absolutely precious. I think this is a Cav trait, he does an army-man style crawl every so often. I've seen other Cavs do the same thing on YouTube. They are such characters.

Honored Contributor
On 5/24/2014 Dosey said: There is an infomercial on hair loss. It is called Breaking Bald.

I was channel-surfing and I saw that.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 5/25/2014 belleandme said:
On 5/24/2014 DL2843 said: Happy Memorial Day Weekend Compactors. Thank you to any of you who have served our country. Dosey thank you for the kind words. I managed to avoid buying the Laura Geller TSV yesterday. I just kept thinking about the three opened foundations that I have and the unopened blush with the 3 opened blushes. I am impressed that many of you use up lip products. They seem to last forever for me.

I've been ComPacting for so long, yet still have so much to use. I just reorganized some bottles of shower gels and lotions and all I can say is:

What the &*$% was I thinking?

I can't remember the last time I bought a lip product, blush, eyeliner, or shadow. I still have plenty in the collection. I seriously cannot see the day when I have to go out and buy a new shower gel. I'll have to throw away several bottles of lotion because they'll turn before I ever get to them. I'd give them away, but fear they've already gone south.

I'm emptying bottles, tubes, and jars, but so many remain. It makes me wonder what it was like when I was still collecting. I mean, I can see the difference. But there's still so much.

Why did I think I had to have this stuff? Using it is one thing, but having it and not using it is just too weird.

I do feel a certain repulsion and that's been helpful. Something in my brain has changed. A behavior is different. A change in my way of thinking. This is monumental.

I'm thrilled because I brought a couple more B&BW lotions to work this week and a couple people actually liked the scents. This means they'll be used. (I've brought several bottles and some have disappeared. I suspect they've been tossed because a coworker described them as "stinky.")

There's still a lot of pruning to do. I've been successful at stopping the flow, but still need to address what is already here.

One by one... until I'm done.

i was thinking of this again in the shower the other day. when i had something to post on the 'kill thread'. that whole concept of wanting to get rid of something that you are supposed to be enjoying and have paid good money for should have been a signal. i think somehow the guilt of over buying was ok. but the using and enjoying part was out of balance. like it was ok to buy to much and stock up and feel guilty, but not ok to use up things. strange. but anyhow, i cant say it right, lol, to tired, but no matter what the cost , $1- $1000, we should use what works and enjoy it, and not be wanting ultimately to 'kill' our stuff. although i have had several kills, i wanted to report, lol. does that make sense. when it is expensive i wouldnt use it, for fear of running out of it. but then waste so much other money elsewhere.

for instance, i have a josie maran body butter, that i adore. i have been mixing it with her radiant tan body butter and using it as a tinted moisturizer for face for a year now. and though i super love it on my body where it is supposed to go, i wont use it there, because then i would have to buy another one for my face, and i have SOOOOOO many other lotions. but ultimately i wont use the other lotions, because i am afraid of the ingredients---so there they sit.

i am rambling. ps, i love the elephant shoes.

no i wont disappear, but things are more challenging for me now that belle is getting older (TEN YEARS OLD NEXT WEEK!! : 0 ) but i must declutter my whole life, so i will be back.

and regarding shear splendor. i never ordered any of the new, but the old was a dream. i considered ag and pg conditioner, to be begrudging second runner ups. and as for aveda, believe it or not, they have discontinued so many core , cornerstone products, i hardly know what is what any more. once estee lauder got ahold of them they hobbeled them to make sure they never got any bigger. i hate estee lauder, but that is another rant.

belleandme--big smile, kissy face!

Well, I passed up the shoes. Again, it was another one of those items for a person with a different life. Instead of just wearing them to work or to the grocery store, I would have saved them for special occasions that never occurred. I pictured sliding them on before going out to our favorite Indian restaurant. But, of course, we don't go to our favorite Indian restaurant anymore because Better-half makes a killer curry. Then I thought I would wear them to a wedding in August because they would match a blouse I was thinking of wearing. I went into the closet and the blouse isn't at all what I'd pictured. (It's been years since I've worn it.)

So why do I need another item that will be "saved" and not used as intended? I already have pairs of Alegrias that I keep in their boxes, all pristine, because I don't want to see them scuffed. Makes no sense.

As for shampoo and conditioner, I just ordered more clove because it seems like that has become my standard shampoo. A bottle lasts a year, so I really don't have to think much about it.

But I made the mistake of opening that last bottle of pure grace and it's what I remember: A product that works. I ended up ordering some shear splendor conditioner for three reasons:

1. I have an ancient bottle of shear splendor shampoo I'd like to use up.

2. I need a dependable conditioner and I'm hoping it's something close to pure grace.

3. There was a sale and free shipping. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} Old habits die hard.

So Belle will be ten? Ah, ten was a very good year. We left Chicago for Arizona and I had the adventure of my life. I got to see all the bugs I'd only read about in books. The downside, of course, was that I lost my dad, my raccoon, and most everything else. But I guess moving to pre-Silicon Valley wasn't so bad. A different adventure.

How will Belle's tenth year be an adventure of a lifetime?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 5/25/2014 Oshare-girl said:

This is one of those breeds that I suspect owners don't want others to know about for fear that the breed will be ruined. Those who have them love them. Really great personalities. Very sweet.

Too true! My Cav is the sweetest thing. He's one step beyond a lap dog, he's a NAP dog. I never even heard of this breed until my DH's classmate mentioned that he breeds them. We were given the runt and they planned to breed him to keep the size small. Long story short, he's not a stud but we love him. He enjoys a walk but will be perfectly fine without one too. He has the cutest heart shaped spot on the top of his head. Absolutely precious. I think this is a Cav trait, he does an army-man style crawl every so often. I've seen other Cavs do the same thing on YouTube. They are such characters.

Super Contributor
On 5/25/2014 just bee said:
On 5/24/2014 DL2843 said: Happy Memorial Day Weekend Compactors. Thank you to any of you who have served our country. Dosey thank you for the kind words. I managed to avoid buying the Laura Geller TSV yesterday. I just kept thinking about the three opened foundations that I have and the unopened blush with the 3 opened blushes. I am impressed that many of you use up lip products. They seem to last forever for me.

I've been ComPacting for so long, yet still have so much to use. I just reorganized some bottles of shower gels and lotions and all I can say is:

What the &*$% was I thinking?

I can't remember the last time I bought a lip product, blush, eyeliner, or shadow. I still have plenty in the collection. I seriously cannot see the day when I have to go out and buy a new shower gel. I'll have to throw away several bottles of lotion because they'll turn before I ever get to them. I'd give them away, but fear they've already gone south.

I'm emptying bottles, tubes, and jars, but so many remain. It makes me wonder what it was like when I was still collecting. I mean, I can see the difference. But there's still so much.

Why did I think I had to have this stuff? Using it is one thing, but having it and not using it is just too weird.

I do feel a certain repulsion and that's been helpful. Something in my brain has changed. A behavior is different. A change in my way of thinking. This is monumental.

I'm thrilled because I brought a couple more B&BW lotions to work this week and a couple people actually liked the scents. This means they'll be used. (I've brought several bottles and some have disappeared. I suspect they've been tossed because a coworker described them as "stinky.")

There's still a lot of pruning to do. I've been successful at stopping the flow, but still need to address what is already here.

One by one... until I'm done.

i was thinking of this again in the shower the other day. when i had something to post on the 'kill thread'. that whole concept of wanting to get rid of something that you are supposed to be enjoying and have paid good money for should have been a signal. i think somehow the guilt of over buying was ok. but the using and enjoying part was out of balance. like it was ok to buy to much and stock up and feel guilty, but not ok to use up things. strange. but anyhow, i cant say it right, lol, to tired, but no matter what the cost , $1- $1000, we should use what works and enjoy it, and not be wanting ultimately to 'kill' our stuff. although i have had several kills, i wanted to report, lol. does that make sense. when it is expensive i wouldnt use it, for fear of running out of it. but then waste so much other money elsewhere.

for instance, i have a josie maran body butter, that i adore. i have been mixing it with her radiant tan body butter and using it as a tinted moisturizer for face for a year now. and though i super love it on my body where it is supposed to go, i wont use it there, because then i would have to buy another one for my face, and i have SOOOOOO many other lotions. but ultimately i wont use the other lotions, because i am afraid of the ingredients---so there they sit.

i am rambling. ps, i love the elephant shoes.

no i wont disappear, but things are more challenging for me now that belle is getting older (TEN YEARS OLD NEXT WEEK!! : 0 ) but i must declutter my whole life, so i will be back.

and regarding shear splendor. i never ordered any of the new, but the old was a dream. i considered ag and pg conditioner, to be begrudging second runner ups. and as for aveda, believe it or not, they have discontinued so many core , cornerstone products, i hardly know what is what any more. once estee lauder got ahold of them they hobbeled them to make sure they never got any bigger. i hate estee lauder, but that is another rant.

belleandme--big smile, kissy face!

Well, I passed up the shoes. Again, it was another one of those items for a person with a different life. Instead of just wearing them to work or to the grocery store, I would have saved them for special occasions that never occurred. I pictured sliding them on before going out to our favorite Indian restaurant. But, of course, we don't go to our favorite Indian restaurant anymore because Better-half makes a killer curry. Then I thought I would wear them to a wedding in August because they would match a blouse I was thinking of wearing. I went into the closet and the blouse isn't at all what I'd pictured. (It's been years since I've worn it.)

So why do I need another item that will be "saved" and not used as intended? I already have pairs of Alegrias that I keep in their boxes, all pristine, because I don't want to see them scuffed. Makes no sense.

As for shampoo and conditioner, I just ordered more clove because it seems like that has become my standard shampoo. A bottle lasts a year, so I really don't have to think much about it.

But I made the mistake of opening that last bottle of pure grace and it's what I remember: A product that works. I ended up ordering some shear splendor conditioner for three reasons:

1. I have an ancient bottle of shear splendor shampoo I'd like to use up.

2. I need a dependable conditioner and I'm hoping it's something close to pure grace.

3. There was a sale and free shipping. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} Old habits die hard.

So Belle will be ten? Ah, ten was a very good year. We left Chicago for Arizona and I had the adventure of my life. I got to see all the bugs I'd only read about in books. The downside, of course, was that I lost my dad, my raccoon, and most everything else. But I guess moving to pre-Silicon Valley wasn't so bad. A different adventure.

How will Belle's tenth year be an adventure of a lifetime?

oh my, no pressure right, ; ) i dont know yet, horseback riding lessons?? lol, wanting to go see the little house on the prairie house out west. i read those books when i was ten and they were life changing. lol, not what you had in mind. would like to move if i could. but where?? thats the $24 dollar question.

she is in another musical, (shreck last fall) and she really loves that so encouraging her there. otherwise, if we make it through long division this year, lol , that will be all the adventure i currently had planned.

see the thing about the shoes, is that you do have too many. that keeps us from buying something we would really love, because we have perfectly good similar items at home.

i read something that a french woman said, and that was that french women only buy one or two items per season, usually on sale, but they buy the very best quality. then they take that item and wear it every day, by working it into their wardrobe. they have waaaay fewer items than american women, but they are better items, and they love each of them.

selection is key. and i have always had a hard time deciding if it could only choose one thing. so i am working on that.

still, i dont care which boxes you have in your closet, lol, because the elephant ones are the best there could ever bee. everything else is just trying to be those shoes. do those elephant shoes come in a size 12???? my new crucible , finding size 12 womens shoes for the little darlin so she doesnt look like jethro clampet's cousin jethleen, lol.

clove shampoo good forever. love it. even works nicely on my blond hair . will get it for myself and belle when she is around 13 (if i am done with my stash by then), it would be perfect for her chestnut hair. currently using shampure sometimes, but mostly wen and philosophy for shampoo.

really curious to know how the shear splendor goes. using an old ag conditioner right now, and trying to be sparing about it.

we had raccoon in the roof troubles this winter. humane trapped them and relocated them. then they came back. all is clear now, so --whew! didnt want to go into young'ins season!

belleandme

ps, get a pair of those shoes out and wear them to the grocery store this week!! we are doing my grandmas house, and soooo much unused stuff. id rather use it--love it--trash it--, than be buried BEFORE it wears out. watched her save that stuff for 45 years, and now we are giving it to friends and selling it at auction. just a thought. with love.... : )

Honored Contributor

So why do I need another item that will be "saved" and not used as intended? I already have pairs of <em>Alegrias</em> that I keep in their boxes, all pristine, because I don't want to see them scuffed. Makes no sense.

As for shampoo and conditioner, I just ordered more <em>clove</em> because it seems like that has become my standard shampoo. A bottle lasts a year, so I really don't have to think much about it.

But I made the mistake of opening that last bottle of <em>pure grace</em> and it's what I remember: A product that works. I ended up ordering some <em>shear splendor</em> conditioner for three reasons:

1. I have an ancient bottle of <em>shear splendor</em> shampoo I'd like to use up.

2. I need a dependable conditioner and I'm hoping it's something close to <em>pure grace</em>.

<em>How will Belle's tenth year be an adventure of a lifetime?</em>

oh my, no pressure right, ; ) i dont know yet, horseback riding lessons?? lol, wanting to go see the little house on the prairie house out west. i read those books when i was ten and they were life changing. lol, not what you had in mind. would like to move if i could. but where?? thats the $24 dollar question.

she is in another musical, (shreck last fall) and she really loves that so encouraging her there. otherwise, if we make it through long division this year, lol , that will be all the adventure i currently had planned.

see the thing about the shoes, is that you do have too many. that keeps us from buying something we would really love, because we have perfectly good similar items at home.

i read something that a french woman said, and that was that french women only buy one or two items per season, usually on sale, but they buy the very best quality. then they take that item and wear it every day, by working it into their wardrobe. they have waaaay fewer items than american women, but they are better items, and they love each of them.

selection is key. and i have always had a hard time deciding if it could only choose one thing. so i am working on that.

still, i dont care which boxes you have in your closet, lol, because the elephant ones are the best there could ever bee. everything else is just trying to be those shoes. do those elephant shoes come in a size 12???? my new crucible , finding size 12 womens shoes for the little darlin so she doesnt look like jethro clampet's cousin jethleen, lol.

clove shampoo good forever. love it. even works nicely on my blond hair . will get it for myself and belle when she is around 13 (if i am done with my stash by then), it would be perfect for her chestnut hair. currently using shampure sometimes, but mostly wen and philosophy for shampoo.

really curious to know how the shear splendor goes. using an old ag conditioner right now, and trying to be sparing about it.

we had raccoon in the roof troubles this winter. humane trapped them and relocated them. then they came back. all is clear now, so --whew! didnt want to go into young'ins season!

belleandme

ps, get a pair of those shoes out and wear them to the grocery store this week!! we are doing my grandmas house, and soooo much unused stuff. id rather use it--love it--trash it--, than be buried BEFORE it wears out. watched her save that stuff for 45 years, and now we are giving it to friends and selling it at auction. just a thought. with love.... : )

Been there, done that. My sister and her husband cleared out my mother's houses and threw much of my things, my deceased sister's things, my deceased stepfather's things, and his deceased mother's things in dumpsters. They are now in landfill.

I stopped asking about specific items -- like all our family photos -- because she had no idea what I was talking about. Many valuable items disappeared into the trash.

My mother started collecting late in life and never used the things she bought. A closet filled with unworn leather coats and matching boots were mildewy and were tossed.

My philosophy is to stop adding to my own collection, use what I can use, give away what I can't use, and sell what can be sold. No one will want it when I'm gone.

Super Contributor

So why do I need another item that will be "saved" and not used as intended? I already have pairs of <em>Alegrias</em> that I keep in their boxes, all pristine, because I don't want to see them scuffed. Makes no sense.

As for shampoo and conditioner, I just ordered more <em>clove</em> because it seems like that has become my standard shampoo. A bottle lasts a year, so I really don't have to think much about it.

But I made the mistake of opening that last bottle of <em>pure grace</em> and it's what I remember: A product that works. I ended up ordering some <em>shear splendor</em> conditioner for three reasons:

1. I have an ancient bottle of <em>shear splendor</em> shampoo I'd like to use up.

2. I need a dependable conditioner and I'm hoping it's something close to <em>pure grace</em>.

<em>How will Belle's tenth year be an adventure of a lifetime?</em>

belleandme

Been there, done that. My sister and her husband cleared out my mother's houses and threw much of my things, my deceased sister's things, my deceased stepfather's things, and his deceased mother's things in dumpsters. They are now in landfill.

I stopped asking about specific items -- like all our family photos -- because she had no idea what I was talking about. Many valuable items disappeared into the trash.

My mother started collecting late in life and never used the things she bought. A closet filled with unworn leather coats and matching boots were mildewy and were tossed.

My philosophy is to stop adding to my own collection, use what I can use, give away what I can't use, and sell what can be sold. No one will want it when I'm gone.

thats awful about the photos. when it comes down to it, those are the only sorts of things you want to hang on to. yeagh, if i had someone come in right now and try to get rid of all this excess (if i were gone) it would be so embarrassing. my goal is to get down to much much less of everything!

just reading a book on secrets of the organized mom, and the lady in there said, to ignore the sink in price (money lost), and just keep or pitch according to actual usage. for some reason it is so hard to reconcile with all the lost $$. i guess i think if i force myself to use it up, then it wasnt such a waste.

i have a couple of leather jackets myself, that i am having a hard time getting rid of.

your progress is very encouraging. : ) i need a kick in the pants, lol!

belleandme

Honored Contributor

thats awful about the photos. when it comes down to it, those are the only sorts of things you want to hang on to. yeagh, if i had someone come in right now and try to get rid of all this excess (if i were gone) it would be so embarrassing. my goal is to get down to much much less of everything!

just reading a book on secrets of the organized mom, and the lady in there said, to ignore the sink in price (money lost), and just keep or pitch according to actual usage. for some reason it is so hard to reconcile with all the lost $$. i guess i think if i force myself to use it up, then it wasnt such a waste.

i have a couple of leather jackets myself, that i am having a hard time getting rid of.

your progress is very encouraging. : ) i need a kick in the pants, lol!

belleandme

I worked on the holiday and it was crazy busy. But on Sunday I did something that I've been meaning to do for the longest time. When I was in college a hundred years ago, I'd transplant and fuss with my houseplants when I was trying to avoid studying. Fast forward to today and I have really neglected my houseplants.

My thumbs are green and whatever I put in a pot becomes sort of a "Jack and the Beanstalk." I have a lot of plants in the house but I haven't trimmed them in years. Just got busy with school and work and my plants were just left to... grow.

It's freaking Day of the Triffids in here. Every time I look at my plants I think that it will take days or weeks to address the growth. I don't know what got into me on Sunday morning, but I picked up a pair of scissors and went all Vidal Sassoon on them.

What surprised me is how much I accomplished in so little time. The plants look so much better now. And what really shocked me is that I didn't save the cuttings and stick them in jars of water all over the house. (I had a bad habit of rooting everything. In fact, I have a rubber tree that's been in water for years.) I actually threw away the cuttings.

Now that's progress.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not working now; no need for a sub now that it is Summer. I am surrounded by items and a trash bag, trying to decide what should go and what should go to Good Will or stay with me. I've about used up my Ole Henrikson African cleanser which I really like. I'll hold off on buying more of it until I finish up the bottle of Purity which was a gift. I'm just not buying any beauty items until I need them. I did buy some new crop pants.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor
On 5/27/2014 KonaKat said:

I'm not working now; no need for a sub now that it is Summer. I am surrounded by items and a trash bag, trying to decide what should go and what should go to Good Will or stay with me. I've about used up my Ole Henrikson African cleanser which I really like. I'll hold off on buying more of it until I finish up the bottle of Purity which was a gift. I'm just not buying any beauty items until I need them. I did buy some new crop pants.

What helps me and keeps me from getting overwhelmed is this:

I take one trash bag and tell myself I have to fill it and then I'm done.

I'll do that when I go out into the yard to pull weeds. Fill the bag and then do something else. That's what I did with the houseplants on Sunday. I chopped until I filled an entire bag -- then I stopped.

My new motto: One bag at a time.