Respected Contributor

Chemical or physical exfoliation

Seems like there is no consensus on which to use.

I do it way less these days as my skin is drier and more sensitive.  I could have scrubbed my face with anything in the past - no more!

My skin feels softest after using a physical exfoliation - presently, Serious Skin Care Glycolic Gommage.

The chemical one I like is Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle peel pads.

Any opinions on this?

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: Chemical or physical exfoliation

Personally, I prefer chemical exfoliation only because I don't like the gritty feel of scrubs, although I try to use one weekly, just to cover my bases.

Respected Contributor

I agree. Used to be able to scrub with buff puffs, shower gloves etc. but skin is too sensitive and dry now. After showering and moisturizing, arms would get a prickly uncomfortable feeling. Have to be very gentle now.

Trusted Contributor

Probably a combination of both (at different times, of course) would be ideal. However, like you, I can't use any kind of "scrub" these days. The PTR glycolic face wash and peel pads are my go to chemical peels. PTR also has a "firm-x" peel that feels like it goes a little deeper. I'm pretty sure most masks do some amount of exfoliation as well. One thing I tried and I am really liking is using that Campinelli microfiber face cloth--the brown one. You can remove makeup, clean, and exfoliate by using the two sides of the cloth with just water. Like the idea, and it feels really effective--I'm just careful to be gentle when I use it.

Honored Contributor

As a long time Retin-A user, I avoid additional chemical peels, except every other day 'C'.  Just a personal choice

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I mostly use a chemical peel (glycolic acid). But sometimes I like to "polish" my skin with bentonite clay. This clay contains silica particles which are microscopically spherical and do not tear the skin but polish it, resulting in incredibly smooth skin...it glows! Believe it or not, I use a damp beautyblender-type sponge to do the polishing by light, circular strokes around my face. It's a great pore cleanser, too.  It's all very gentle. I can't use any physical exfoliation because of my broken caps...they get worse with any aggravation.

Honored Contributor

I use just chemical -- Paula's Choice liquid BHA 2%.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I prefer mild chemical. I'm using First Aid Beauty Radiance pads, which are playing nicely w/my sensitivities.

Honored Contributor

Both kinds for me, at different times.

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003,

I doubt you'll ever see a consensus since the ladies on this board are different ages, have different skin types, and live in different climates.  What works great for one person doesn't work for another.

I use a combination of physical and chemical exfoliants.  I use Paula's Choice BHA every other morning.  Once a week I alternate between Pixie Peel & Polish enzyme scrub or PTR's peel pads or Pixie Glow Tonic (AHA toner).  I use Derma E microdermabrasion scrub as needed, maybe once a week.