Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chemical or physical exfoliation

[ Edited ]

Chemical. I definitely see a consensus among professionals and that is chemical as well. Over exfoliation is a huge problem and the biggest offender is physical exfoliants. The actual physical ones are usually not the correct shape or size and cause microscopic cuts and the pressure of the user varies from person to person. Out of all the physical exfoliants on the market, there are only a handful that are decent or even safe for the skin. I see over exfoliated skin every day the patients who own that skin rarely realize they over exfoliate. They think only raw red skin is overexfoliated.

The actual perfect physical exfoliant (in size and texture) would be baking soda because it is a spherre but it is way too alkaline for the skin and the issue of too much pressure is of real importance.

Most people who use both are over exfoliating.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Occasional Contributor

I've read that you should chemically exfoliate because physical scrubs and such are like using sand paper on your skin. You're grinding these bits into your skin and over time it helps to age you. That being said I love acids.

I have an AHA serum but have switched to ****** + Fab. I use the light blue pads for day (can't remember the name), and the extreme glycolic pads at night.
Respected Contributor

neither, I make my own with papaya, honey and egg white