Honored Contributor

Re: Chemical or physical exfoliation

Absolutely no chemicals for me!  Too many things can happen with chemicals. I'd rather not take any chances.

I use soap and water and bath gloves.  Really happy with results.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I mostly use a chemical peel (glycolic acid). But sometimes I like to "polish" my skin with bentonite clay. This clay contains silica particles which are microscopically spherical and do not tear the skin but polish it, resulting in incredibly smooth skin...it glows! Believe it or not, I use a damp beautyblender-type sponge to do the polishing by light, circular strokes around my face. It's a great pore cleanser, too.  It's all very gentle. I can't use any physical exfoliation because of my broken caps...they get worse with any aggravation.

You have the best answers to so many things, where do you get the clay from? M y skin is really dry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your kind words.Woman Happy I use this one @goldensrbest. Many places carry it and buy mine from jet dot com. There are also other brands...I just so happen to like this one. A one-pound jar for less than $10. Just add water, instructions are on the back.

images.jpg

If you go to pureformulas dot com, they also have it there with free shipping for under $10, too.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Absolutely no chemicals for me!  Too many things can happen with chemicals. I'd rather not take any chances.

I use soap and water and bath gloves.  Really happy with results.

My mother had beautiful skin.  She used virtually no beauty products.  I think genetics had a lot to do with it.  I also have skin I have been complimented on many times, so I am thankful to her!

She used Zest soap and a washcloth.  I cringe at the concept of Zest on my face!   I couldn't bathe with it either as it would dry my skin terribly.

I think a washcloth gives some mild exfoliation. 

I get the impression some may be overexfoliating.  But, I could have done it also in the past.  I cannot do things to my skin that I used to!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I mostly use a chemical peel (glycolic acid). But sometimes I like to "polish" my skin with bentonite clay. This clay contains silica particles which are microscopically spherical and do not tear the skin but polish it, resulting in incredibly smooth skin...it glows! Believe it or not, I use a damp beautyblender-type sponge to do the polishing by light, circular strokes around my face. It's a great pore cleanser, too.  It's all very gentle. I can't use any physical exfoliation because of my broken caps...they get worse with any aggravation.

I wonder if it is like using the Tatcha rice powders or Josie Maran powder.

I have tried the Tatcha indigo powder, the mildest one.  I don't feel a lot of exfoliation with it, but it foams up and cleanses nicely.  I think her other ones may exfoliate better. 

Have not tried the Josie Maran one.  The Serious Skin Care Glycolic Gommage combines the glycolic acid (you leave it on for 10 minutes) and physical exfoliation with really tiny beads (the smallest I have come across).  I loved the philosphy microdelivery 2 step peel, but it almost feels too rough for my skin now. 

I also have a few broken capillaries on the top of one cheek.  I swear I got them from the Clarisonic. 

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee, i like to ask your help on several topics, i enjoy reading your thoughts.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder if it is like using the Tatcha rice powders or Josie Maran powder.

I have tried the Tatcha indigo powder, the mildest one.  I don't feel a lot of exfoliation with it, but it foams up and cleanses nicely.  I think her other ones may exfoliate better. 

Have not tried the Josie Maran one.  The Serious Skin Care Glycolic Gommage combines the glycolic acid (you leave it on for 10 minutes) and physical exfoliation with really tiny beads (the smallest I have come across).  I loved the philosphy microdelivery 2 step peel, but it almost feels too rough for my skin now. 

I also have a few broken capillaries on the top of one cheek.  I swear I got them from the Clarisonic. 

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003,

I've never used the Tatcha powder so I really can't compare the two. The clay will dry out your skin because it is a clay and that's what it does. It draws out oils and moisture from the skin (pores) and the longer you leave it on your skin, the drier, especially if you let it dry down completely which I do only once a week. Oily skin may handle it more frequently.Woman Happy

Occasional Contributor

I love the First Aid Beauty pads.  They are the only ones I have found that really make my skin polished with no harshness to my face

Honored Contributor

I use chemical because it doesn't scratch.

Respected Contributor

For  my face it's Skin Medica, chemical.

For the rest of me I love sugar scrubs only, salt or anything ground up (apricot pits, walnuts) are too hard on my skin.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield