Respected Contributor

Can anyone suggest a mask or cleanser that really clears pores, is there a such thing?

Basically my skin doing good, but I do get clogged pores no matter how well I wash.  Mostly in the T-zone, and the pores become enlarged.  I believe it comes from within (sebum build-up).  Honestly, cleansers and masks never did anything to disolve it.  Clarisonic doesn't either.   I just saw Skinn Deep pore mask, and had good reviews not that I believe it all.   Now SSC Glycolic cleanser is another that has big claims.  

I have normal, sensitive skin and don't want anything too drying.  Should I give up, and just wash, and squeeze??    Or is there really, really something that helps?

I'm waiting on you ladies here...please tell me what to use...THANK-YOU!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Can anyone suggest a mask or cleanser that really clears pores, is there a such thing?

Steam your pores over boiling water from a kettle in a large bowl with a towel over your head. Then take Elmer's school glue and apply a layer with your finger, a nice layer, then let it dry. When it is completely dry, you will know when you touch it and it doesn't feel squishy under the top crust. Then pull off like a Biore strip. It works well, doesn't irritate your skin and is washable. Youtube has many videos for this if you would like to watch it done. I have some on right now. I got one of those Conair face steamers for my sinuses and use it for my face. My pores are much smaller now, and this is the only thing, other than squeezing, than will get to them to remove the junk. Then rinse in cold water and use toner to close the pores so not as much junk get in there.

I did just get the Borghese purificant mud mask and find it wonderful, but drying, so you could do that but it won't pull the junk out but does help keep the pores clear.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can anyone suggest a mask or cleanser that really clears pores, is there a such thing?

I would recommend trying Skinn's deep pore cleanser and the deep pore mask.  I'd also recommend the Borghese muds - for deep cleaning, I'd go with purificante, but feel that the active is also good.  If your skin is sensitive, try the purificante.  I really see a big difference in my skin since I've incorporated these products into my regiman.  I am also not very good at keeping up and still see a huge improvement in my skin and my pores.  Good luck and let us know what you decide to try!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are two suggestions: 1)  Neutrogena Pore Refining facial wash -- really gets your facial skin clean without drying; 2)  Check out acure Organics website for a mask (they only use excellent ingredients and offer free shipping).  I use one from them occasionally for cell stimulation.  It's $12.99. Search masks if you are interested.  Good luck!   Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Contributor

Being an esthetician I know how frustrating clogged pores can be.  All my years of working in this field I can say for certain one of the best if not the best products for clogged pores are Paula choice line.  Her resist bha 9 treatment is amazing.  Also I would suggest her bha treatments, she has several to choose from.  

I myself deal with clogged pores easily and her line has changed my skin.  If I could sell it to my clients I would.  The company gives generous samples to try the line. 

If I may add, I would NOT put glue on your face.  These DIY treatments that flood the YouTube land sound cool in concept but in long run do not help, in fact many do more harm.  Best to stick with products that have years of reaserach to support its ability to help skin problems.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A271411, Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid, exfoliates inside the pores. I highly recommend it.

Trusted Contributor

@Tigriss, Elmers Glue?! Do you happen to have the ingredients handy? I may be wrong, but it would seem to me that the ingredients would cause some irritation, especially for sensitive skins - if not directly on the surface, then beneath.

I stopped using the steam method because I discovered that it was causing the broken capillaries around my nose to multiply. I went to a clinic to have them zapped and this is what the cosmetic surgeon told me.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Respected Contributor

@chrissygalpal wrote:

Being an esthetician I know how frustrating clogged pores can be.  All my years of working in this field I can say for certain one of the best if not the best products for clogged pores are Paula choice line.  Her resist bha 9 treatment is amazing.  Also I would suggest her bha treatments, she has several to choose from.  

I myself deal with clogged pores easily and her line has changed my skin.  If I could sell it to my clients I would.  The company gives generous samples to try the line. 

If I may add, I would NOT put glue on your face.  These DIY treatments that flood the YouTube land sound cool in concept but in long run do not help, in fact many do more harm.  Best to stick with products that have years of reaserach to support its ability to help skin problems.  

I second this. I also highly recommend her BHA 4% and her AHA 8% gel. I have the BHA 9 for really stubborn spots but nothing has kept my skin as clear as the BHA 8%; I bought it as a replacement for the BHA 4% when I decided to try to conceive and it's working better. Any clogged pores I get either clear away or pop up around the time of the month but just come out easily with no hassle. You start using it gradually 3 times a week and then work up to every night. Plus you get over 3 ounces for about $25 or less depending on the promotion.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

A271411, Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid, exfoliates inside the pores. I highly recommend it.

Yes, this product makes a HUGE difference in the quality and texture of my skin. I highly recommend it.

If you want to try a mask as well, I recommend Clear Improvement and/or Out of Trouble by Origins or the Fango Active Mud by Borghese. Clear Improvement and Fango Mud are great for clearing out pores and Out of Trouble is a fantastic spot treatment (or full mask) for breakouts. You can use any of those along with the 2% BHA. I have very sensitive skin, but the 2% BHA has never caused irritation for me. I started using it once a day (usually at night), but now I use it in the morning and use an AHA at night. The 2% BHA is the one product that made the most difference in my skin and if I get lazy and stop using it, I can always tell the difference in just a few days. 

Honored Contributor

I third (I think that's where we are) the Paula's Choice exfoliators.

and while the rest of the line is garbage (to me) Serious Skincare's Glycolic Gommage is a really effective product.

I have both the Isomer's and the Paula's Choice exfoliating serums and my pores look considerably better than they did. Noticeable pores was the 'change' in my change and I was mortified to have them all of the sudden! Exfoliating serums and/or cleansers really do make a difference.