Super Contributor

Can anyone recommend a good product for puffy/baggy eyes?

Hi all-

My husband has terribly puffy eyes with bags as he's getting older. I know it bothers him because he's always commenting on how tired he looks all the time. He's not at all interested in using any skin care other than a bar of soap but I really think he might use something simple on his eyes if I got it for him and stuck it next to his toothbrush where he can see it everyday. Any recommendations? I haven't paid any attention over the years to these products because my problem is fine lines not puffiness so I am not sure what's out there that may actually be effective. Thanks so much!!

Super Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend a good product for puffy/baggy eyes?

If his under eye bags are due to excess fat deposits there, as opposed to just fluid retention (if they never go away, it's probably fat deposits), then I can recommend Genie Instant Line Smoother. It's sold on Q, but I buy mine on-line when I find a better deal. I have tried many products for my bags and this works the best for me. Application is tricky, so I don't know if your husband would have the patience for it, but once he gets the correct application down, the results can be amazing.

Some people can get away with a one-layer application. I do two. I apply an extremely light first layer, let it dry for a couple of minutes, then apply a second light layer right over it. The result smooths out my bags almost 100% and makes me look at least 5 years younger. If you apply too much, you will get white residue and a weird puckering of the skin, so less is more.

I'm sure you know that the only permanent solution is surgery (blepharoplasty). I'm too chicken and this works for me right now.

Honored Contributor

In the AM, I use Mad Hippie Eye Cream. In the PM, I use Shea Terra Organics Argan & Green Coffee Around-Eye Serum. Both products are very good and target your (your husband's) concerns. You can look for them on their own websites sheaterraorganics dot com and madhippie dot com and read about them. However, if you decide to go with the Mad Hippie product, I'd look for it on other sites like Vitacost, Amazon, eBay, etc. to get a better price.

Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2014 puglet1 said:

If his under eye bags are due to excess fat deposits there, as opposed to just fluid retention (if they never go away, it's probably fat deposits), then I can recommend Genie Instant Line Smoother. It's sold on Q, but I buy mine on-line when I find a better deal. I have tried many products for my bags and this works the best for me. Application is tricky, so I don't know if your husband would have the patience for it, but once he gets the correct application down, the results can be amazing.

Some people can get away with a one-layer application. I do two. I apply an extremely light first layer, let it dry for a couple of minutes, then apply a second light layer right over it. The result smooths out my bags almost 100% and makes me look at least 5 years younger. If you apply too much, you will get white residue and a weird puckering of the skin, so less is more.

I'm sure you know that the only permanent solution is surgery (blepharoplasty). I'm too chicken and this works for me right now.

ITA with you piglet1. I've been using this for years. You gave EXCELLENT advice/info on application. LESS is way more with this product. I just put a tiny drop on my little finger, tap it with my other little finger and then apply under each eye. That's plenty! Every now and then I do a test with it where I just put it on one eye then ask DH which side looks better. He's picked the right eye every single time. When applied properly it makes a huge difference! I much preferred their early packaging (the little genie bottle with sponge applicator) because the new one clogs up sometime. You can replace it with one of those tiny plastic bottles that look like mustard/ketchup ones. This is one of those love/hate items if you read the reviews but I LOVE it and use it everyday. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

Philosophy Miracle Worker Eye Cream helps with puffiness and has a retinoid that smooths and brightens the eye area. It's all about the retinoid, it makes a difference over other eye creams. It's an invisible satiny formula that he could put on before bed, no one would know he was using it. I also have Bobbi Brown's Extra eye repair and it's good, but Philsophy's Miracle Worker cream is more effective.

Super Contributor

On 1/18/2014 silkyk said:
On 1/18/2014 puglet1 said:

ITA with you piglet1. I've been using this for years. You gave EXCELLENT advice/info on application. LESS is way more with this product. I just put a tiny drop on my little finger, tap it with my other little finger and then apply under each eye. That's plenty! Every now and then I do a test with it where I just put it on one eye then ask DH which side looks better. He's picked the right eye every single time. When applied properly it makes a huge difference! I much preferred their early packaging (the little genie bottle with sponge applicator) because the new one clogs up sometime. You can replace it with one of those tiny plastic bottles that look like mustard/ketchup ones. This is one of those love/hate items if you read the reviews but I LOVE it and use it everyday. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Honestly, I don't know what I would do without this product. It has given me back my confidence. I tried several OTC products like Sudden Change over the years. They are nowhere near as good as Genie. I don't use the pump because of clogging and wasting the product through the pump. I bought very small makeup applicators in the drugstore (the kind you might use for eye shadow), open up the top of the bottle, and dip the sponge tip in.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions! I think it must be a combo of fat deposits with occasional water retention because while he always has some puffiness, it is definitely worse in the mornings when he doesn't sleep well. I appreciate the time you all took to respond and will look into your suggestions.

Contributor

I have this problem as well I use clarins eye gel and keep it in the fridge. I feel the cold helps somewhat and the gel formulation is not greasy or heavy. I have hear really good things about MAC fast response eye cream. I think that's what it's called. It has caffeine in it and that is supposed to help. I'm going to try what the other posters suggested as well.
Trusted Contributor

IMHO, Isomers R Pur for Eyes is the best product I've found for puffiness and dark circles so far. It runs about $36 on ShopHQ or directly from Isomers.ca. Here's the product description:

What is it?

Targeted serum for the entire eye contour. For temperamental and mature skin.

Intensive - yet super lightweight. Boasting germinating soy, soy isoflavones, genistein and technological extracts to help transform the visible eye contour. For a tighter, brighter and younger-looking eye contour.

Who is it for?

Those with chronic under eye puffiness that is caused by a shift of the fat pad below the eye.

Why is it unique/different?

Formula targets entire eye contour and fat pads under the eye area

• Broad spectrum formula for the entire eye contour
  • Dark Circle
  • Fine Wrinkles
  • Eyelid Flaccidity
  • Puffiness
  • Lower Eyelid Fat Pads
  • Anti oxidant protection for brighter looking skin
  • Uses soy DNA to replenish mature skin.
  • Hydrating to sooth, dry, dehydrated and delicate skin sensitivity
  • Fragrance free, paraben free

Contains:

Pure extracts from Soy: Germinating Soy, Soy Isoflavones and Genistein, Phosphatidylcholine, Soy Symbiozomes

• Targets mature, temperamental, skin ages 45 and up
  • Dramatically helps reduce the look of visible skin damage
  • Improvement in skin lipid content: (supports ceramides)
  • Improvement in skin elasticity
  • Improvement in skin hydration
  • Decrease in skin roughness
  • Decrease in skin ruddiness
  • Wrinkle Smoothing
  • Anti oxidant protection – helps brighten the skin and even out color

Bio peptide CL™: Palmitoyl Oligopeptide

• Targets many aspects of skin wrinkles
  • Reduces visible wrinkle length and depth
  • Smooths skin surface
  • Alternative to Vitamin A without harmful side effects.
  • Firms the skin
  • Positive stimulant to the skin surface

Soy Sterols

Targets Skin Appearance:
  • Improvement in skin elasticity
  • Improvement in skin hydration
  • Decrease in skin roughness
  • Wrinkle Smoothing
  • Improvement in skin lipid content

Targets Collagen Renewal

• Formulation contains fibroblast messenger peptide to target collagen renewal

Haloxyl™

Helps reduce the look of dark circles to even out skin tone

EyeResolution™

Anti eye bag ingredients to help smooth out under eye contours

BioSkinup™ Contour

Targets dark circles and smooth out puffiness

Dedicated delivery system – “transdermal Q”

• Aids in penetration and product performance
  • Better skin care for younger looking skin

Liquid Crystal Olive Base

• Enhanced moisturizer and delivery system
  • Lamellar gel short and long term hydration
  • “Once a day application”
  • Keeps skin moist longer, excellent for dry skin
QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

I rec'd. a sample size of Estee Lauder Eye Repair gel-all I can say is WOW! I will be purchasing this in the future-less dark circles and no puffiness for me. Very effective.