Honored Contributor

Re: Calling all Thick Haired Gals!

[ Edited ]

I rarely wear pony tails. I wear a French twist or various buns. For thick hair you need the right hair clip. Normal hair clips won't work because they don't hold enough hair. You want something like the Ficcare Maximus. I love mine, they hold your hair very securely and they don't break the hair. I can only find them online from the Ficcare website. I also wear U pins for buns and a variety of hair forks. Check out ETSY, there are tons of handmade choices for U pins, hair sticks and hair forks. Another option is the Flexi 8 hair clip, their online store is lillarose

These are what I used when my hair about hip to tailbone length, I cut it last year and I'm growing it back out again. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It's not quite long enough for braids (a smidge below shoulder length),

but definitely braids are in the future! 

I've rocked the 'double pony' to distribute the weight...one is crown high, second one mid-height...kinda works, but not as 'finished' as one singular ponytail.  

I've got so many scrunchies, elastics & claw clips,

just trying to find the Holy Grail of Hair Stuffs. 😀😀

You should be getting close to long enough for a French twist, if you aren't already long enough now. Personally I find claw clips don't hold my hair at all, regardless of how big of one I buy. 

Valued Contributor

Now, to the OP...

I just generally use the coated hair bands used in the picture with the dark-haired woman.  They can be found nearly everywhere in an hair accessory isle.  I also occassionally use a large what I call a "hair claw" which I got at Ulta Beauty.  You likely can get them at Sally's Beauty Supply or another box store.

Yes, it is a challenge for us thick haired girls in the warm months not to cut it for sure.  I don't even thin it because it tends to weaken and break the length of my hair and causes it to frizz underneath.  So no thinning for me.

Valued Contributor

Jaxmom,

I just did a quick search about Ficcare Maximus and they are also available @Nordstroms online and perhaps in store as well.  I did not know what this was.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I don't have a Nordstrom locally. The selection is the best from their website though.