Valued Contributor

I love and collect perfumes and buy most my fragrances online. Most recently I purchased a pricey bottle of Angel by Thierry Mugler from Amazon. There was nothing wrong with the perfume or packaging but inside the box there is suppose to be a code so you can join the "circle" but it was missing. So I wrote the Thierry Mugler company and their response has rocked my world.

AMAZON is unfortunately not a Thierry Mugler authorized retailer. We only sell to department stores and on our online boutique. While we have suggested prices, those tend to vary from an authorized retailer to another.

Most likely, the product that you purchased was originally acquired on the Gray Market. Products that are sold through distribution channels which are unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended by the original manufacturer are often times replication of the original products with chemical ingredients that may not have been tested by laboratories, or expired products from foreign markets. Thierry Mugler is not responsible for products that are not purchased from an unauthorized retailer and we unfortunately cannot vouch for the quality of the products. We can only recommend that you do not purchase from those unauthorized retailers.

I would advise you to return your product and only purchase from a Thierry Mugler authorized retailer. I am happy to let you know where to buy the products that you need.

I am really quiet stunned by this. I have always thought Amazon and companies like FragranceX and Fragrancenet or Overstock were perfectly legit. I'm wrote back asking for a list of the authorized retailers. I'm sure it's going to be places like Nordstrom, Dillards and Sephora.

My question is do you ladies have any dedicated places you shop for perfume?

Thanks for reading.

Super Contributor

Re: Buying Fragrances online

I have bought several bottles of perfume from FragranceNet.com and each has come in the original box and the original bottle and the fragrance is identical to what you'd buy in the dept. store. The prices are much better though! I am sure these are the real thing-otherwise send them back! Maybe TM was just as surprised that their product was at Overstock or Amazon. I know TJ Maxx & Marshall sometimes have very high end brands that they buy off boutiques or dept stores because it has been on the shelf too long. None of it comes straight from the manufacturer!

Valued Contributor

Scentiments dot com. Been buying from them forever. Never a problem. I have a feeling that TM has to say that since the product didn't come from them. And they, of course, want you to buy directly from them = more expensive.

Valued Contributor

On 2/19/2014 catprincess said:

I have bought several bottles of perfume from FragranceNet.com and each has come in the original box and the original bottle and the fragrance is identical to what you'd buy in the dept. store. The prices are much better though! I am sure these are the real thing-otherwise send them back! Maybe TM was just as surprised that their product was at Overstock or Amazon. I know TJ Maxx & Marshall sometimes have very high end brands that they buy off boutiques or dept stores because it has been on the shelf too long. None of it comes straight from the manufacturer!

This particular purchase was from fragrancenet. They sold it on Amazon. I wouldn't have questioned it all, it was sealed and everything. But just didn't have the special code inside.

Valued Contributor

On 2/19/2014 squeezebox said:

Scentiments dot com. Been buying from them forever. Never a problem. I have a feeling that TM has to say that since the product didn't come from them. And they, of course, want you to buy directly from them = more expensive.

The issue in particular is, there is suppose to be a code inside the box that you can register and join- for this brand. But apparently, the codes are only found in boxes sold to authorized retailers. For me, it would be like buying a Dooney at TJ MAX that doesn't have the code or registration paper inside.