Respected Contributor

Brushing your teeth-with your eyes closed!

I am 56 and the wrinkles are really settling in.  I am trying some new gadget s such as the Tria for eyes, creams etc. 

It hit me one morning while I was brushing my teeth:  I saw the deep wrinkles forming on my forehead.....the wrinkles and crinkles  under my eyes......where did they come from?

To cut to the chase, I realized I'm spending at the very least, four minutes a day brushing my teeth.  I wear sun glasses without fail, and I do smile a lot, but when I smile, it's not "hard" enough the way I crinkle my face up when I'm brushing.

.....so, I decided to try brushing my teeth with my eyes closed-not as easy as I thought! I had to remind myself to relax my forehead.

Now towards the end of week two, it's almost second nature, and I swear I am seeing more improvements than I would if I was just using the gadgets, scrums etc. alone.

It may very well be worth trying: as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure......if this is all in my mind, ok-but I find it relaxes me-particularly before bed.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Brushing your teeth-with your eyes closed!

Hi @Poodlepet2 , now I have to watch my face while I brush, interesting 

I am 56 also, so I know what you mean about the wrinkles setting in!

I will let you know if I crinkle my face up & if I do, I am going to start closing my eyes too.  I don't need to add to the ones that don't seem to iron out like they used to

oh, I notice I crinkle my forehead while putting my mascara on, don't know how to stop that

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking as an "older woman" ( I'm 60!), I would brush my teeth, and hair, standing on my head, if it made the wrinkles go away! Seriously, it's an interesting premise! I can't wail to wash up tonight and see what I do! Thanks for the heads up!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Jewelwisher, I am not saying it will make wrinkles disappear, but I think it's sort of like wearing a linen blouse or skirt....when it comes back to you from the dry cleaner, it's crisp with no wrinkles: put it on, and the wrinkles set in.  If you don't wear the garment, the wrinkles won't appear to begin with-and I wish this idea would have occurred to me when I was younger. Maybe this is a case of "if you don't use it, you lose it"-or decrease it at least.....not squinting the face has got to be better than squinching the way we do when brushing our teeth twice a day.

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

@Poodlepet2

There are 2 types of genetic facial aging effects on most people whether you are male or female.  One is the wrinkle-crinkle crowd which you apparently are part of and I am in the other, the bag and sag crowd.  Neither are particularly athestically appealing but we are programmed this way according our gentic make-up.  You still will have wrinkles regardless of how you brush your teeth, but if you feel it benefits you then by all means continue it.  I am exactly your age and have very few facial wrinkles, but sagging is not exactly pretty either and a face lift would be a temporary fix, but not in the budget ever.  Wishing you happy teeth brushing!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Good4u wrote:

@Poodlepet2

There are 2 types of genetic facial aging effects on most people whether you are male or female.  One is the wrinkle-crinkle crowd which you apparently are part of and I am in the other, the bag and sag crowd.  Neither are particularly athestically appealing but we are programmed this way according our gentic make-up.  You still will have wrinkles regardless of how you brush your teeth, but if you feel it benefits you then by all means continue it.  I am exactly your age and have very few facial wrinkles, but sagging is not exactly pretty either and a face lift would be a temporary fix, but not in the budget ever.  Wishing you happy teeth brushing!  Smiley Happy

@Good4u I think you hit the nail on the head!  I'm in the "bag and sag" group, too. I have very few wrinkles on my face, but gravity is starting to have its way with me.  Ugh! It's hard to fight genetics. Woman Sad

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

That's a new one on me. I have heard of standing on one foot while brushing to improve one's balance. Try it-it's not easy! As for the tooth brushing, an electric toothbrush might shorten the time?

New Contributor

Ladies ladies ladies! Don't you know the trick? For any woman that is well endowed up on top, all she has to do is take off her bra and it will pull the wrinkles right out of her face!