Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bruingirl or anyone else

Thanks everyone, feel better now.Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

drythe thanks for sharing that schedule. So easy to read- I saved it for reference. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 9/24/2014 HappyDaze said:

hi beaches! Just wanted to say how sweet it is of you to take care of a baby kitty. I truly know how that is. The one I had woke me up very hour or so to get fed. He'd scratch the heck out of my hands (because that is what held the bottle, lol). I don't think I had an ounce of skin left during those months. {#emotions_dlg.crying} But it was fun watching him grow to be a healthy cat from just a little nub. It is exhausting but worth! My current babies are a young hawk and a young turkey. You should see the crazy things we do so they don't imprint on us! LOL! That is amazingly fun and exhausting too but so worth it. Good luck with your baby!

You're raising a hawk and a turkey? What a combination! LOL. Birds are difficult babies - all beaks and bellies. Raising them to release? That takes a special person, HD. I was always bringing home sick or abandoned wild babies when I was young - my Dad and I did our best to heal and raise them without making them pets. It's hard! And a young turkey will accept anything as its mother, so I can imagine what you are going through. I have great admiration for you.

Esteemed Contributor

hi beaches! Just wanted to say how sweet it is of you to take care of a baby kitty. I truly know how that is. The one I had woke me up very hour or so to get fed. He'd scratch the heck out of my hands (because that is what held the bottle, lol). I don't think I had an ounce of skin left during those months. {#emotions_dlg.crying} But it was fun watching him grow to be a healthy cat from just a little nub. It is exhausting but worth! My current babies are a young hawk and a young turkey. You should see the crazy things we do so they don't imprint on us! LOL! That is amazingly fun and exhausting too but so worth it. Good luck with your baby!

I can't believe it, a turkey and hawk. Good thing none of them where I live . Lol
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the schedule, Drythe and okie!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/24/2014 Drythe said:

Beaches, using a rough emery board you can very gently file just the sharp tips. He's listening to that generous of yours beat and taking much comfort from the sound. Seems St.Francis has a plan for many of us - bless him!

Thanks Drythe, that's a great idea I'm going to do it either later or tomorrow. He had a rough day yesterday with the vet visit and today I took him out in the carrier for a bit as I HAD to get out since I haven't been out since we found him. It was only to the post office but at least I got out. Lol. It's like having an infant again maybe two.
Honored Contributor

HD,

He has dermodectic mange caused by mites. Easy enough to treat early, but his original owners did not think it was worth their trouble, despite the fact that he is a purebred they went out and bought. Now he is in really bad, bleeding, OUCHY, sad, smelly, bad shape.

This is the treatment he's on, I copied from WebMed:

Treatment: A topical ointment containing either benzoyl peroxide gel (OxyDex or Pyoben), or a mild topical preparation used to treat ear mites can be massaged into affected areas once a day. This may shorten the course of the disease. The medication should be rubbed with the lay of the hair to minimize further hair loss. Treatment may cause the area to look worse for the first two to three weeks.

He is also on oral antibiotics because his immune system is now involved.

Sometimes I just want to Smack some Mean People!

When I was out West, I helped with some baby Golden Eagles - wow did we look funny!

Bless you for helping these guys! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

On 9/24/2014 okiebug said:

You're raising a hawk and a turkey? What a combination! LOL. Birds are difficult babies - all beaks and bellies. Raising them to release? That takes a special person, HD. I was always bringing home sick or abandoned wild babies when I was young - my Dad and I did our best to heal and raise them without making them pets. It's hard! And a young turkey will accept anything as its mother, so I can imagine what you are going through. I have great admiration for you.

aw thanks okiebug, that is a kind thing to say. Yes, the intent is always to try to release them back to the wild. The hawk will have a tracker on her leg to monitor her for awhile once she is released. She spends the majority of her time now with a few other hawks that are being used to teach her how to hunt, etc. One of hawks cannot be released back into the wild due to injuries (these are not my hawks). It is fascinating to watch and she is a good student. Smiley Happy The turkey is definitely more of a handful, lol. I've never dealt with a turkey before so it has been interesting. I think that is wonderful that you and your dad would help sick or abandoned animals and worked to not have them be pets. I know many people have the best intentions but wild animals for the most part do NOT make good pets and can be downright dangerous. Many of the animals I get because the people found them and took them home thinking it would be fun. well, you know how that goes. So sometimes, because they have imprinted on humans, release is not an option unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for that info, Drythe! My MIL's dog was from a backyard breeder (don't get me started, lol) so most of the dogs had some form of mange. I will pass along this info to her. It kills me that people don't do all they can for their pets and the pets suffer needlessly. Smiley Sad

Golden eagles, that is awesome! Amazingly beautiful birds.

Super Contributor

On 9/24/2014 okiebug said:

aw thanks okiebug, that is a kind thing to say. Yes, the intent is always to try to release them back to the wild. The hawk will have a tracker on her leg to monitor her for awhile once she is released. She spends the majority of her time now with a few other hawks that are being used to teach her how to hunt, etc. One of hawks cannot be released back into the wild due to injuries (these are not my hawks). It is fascinating to watch and she is a good student. Smiley Happy The turkey is definitely more of a handful, lol. I've never dealt with a turkey before so it has been interesting. I think that is wonderful that you and your dad would help sick or abandoned animals and worked to not have them be pets. I know many people have the best intentions but wild animals for the most part do NOT make good pets and can be downright dangerous. Many of the animals I get because the people found them and took them home thinking it would be fun. well, you know how that goes. So sometimes, because they have imprinted on humans, release is not an option unfortunately.

I'm assuming it's a wild turkey not domesticated. There's such a difference between the two they could be different species. We raised turkeys and my Dad used to say turkeys (domesticated) were the only animals dumb enough to drown by trying to see where the rain is coming from - lol. Wild turkeys, on the other hand, are smart and tricky.