Esteemed Contributor

Biggest Hair Dilemma/Challenge

Guess I'm fortunate to have my biggest dilemma, which is what length do I want? I'm right at the 2.25" mark, so either way! (You know, the ear lobe to chin length that "determines" what length is most flattering.)

Also, like having bangs/fringe or not. Either way there, too!

I wish you could help me solve this "problem," but I know it is one of personal preference.

What is everyone's hair dilemma, and do we have any suggestions that might help?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Biggest Hair Dilemma/Challenge

I personally like bangs, but longer bangs.  That way I can wear them down or more to the side depending on the day.  My biggest hair issue is that it is so baby fine it does mostly what it wants on any given day.  I have spent my life fighting it, highlighting it, damaging it, just trying to get it to cooperate.  I am at the point where I have gotten it healthy again and that looks better to me than how "big" I can get it. 

But, it would be nice to find a product that actually holds it a bit better.  My hair even seems to "eat" hairspray.  By the end of the day you'd never know I even attempted a hairstyle.  

Frequent Contributor

I ask myself those questions at least 3 or 4 times a year - bangs or no bangs, long bangs or short bangs, long hair or short hair, red hair, blonde hair, brown hair, highlighted hair.......LOL.

I know that I look best in short hair styles with long bangs but........It is so hot where I live that my preference is to wear it pulled back in a hair clip off of my face.  I have come to hate the feel of hair down toward my face at all.  So my only options are to wear it long enough to pull it back (not my most flattering look) or really short so that none of it is on my face.  I'm just not brave enough to go that short right now.  I've had lots of really bad hair cuts in the past few years and they have been a nightmare to grow out. 

My hair used to grow like crazy but not so much anymore so I have to be a lot more careful now.  And with all the grey coming in, going lighter is really my only option. 

I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.  If you have a good hair dresser, go for a new style.  It's always exciting to try something new!  And no matter how it turns out, love it.  It may only be that way once! 

Regular Contributor

Every time I attempt bangs I regret it almost immediately!   I have learned that no matter how bored I am with my hair,  bangs are not the answer!

My biggest challenge is just the amount of time I have to spend on my hair.  it's long, thick and somewhat wavy/curly, but not consistent enough to wear it that way.   So I have to flatiron it (I finally got my flatiron time down to about 15 mins or so).  I airdry it and that takes hours so i wash it in the evening. It takes up way too much of my day!

Honored Contributor

My wavy hair. It's dry and frizz-prone by nature and is completely random. Some days it makes beautiful corkscrew curls... but only on one side of my head. I've finally found some products that work really well, but we've had super high humidity for WEEKS on end now and my hair has been behaving very badly. Normally I only wash every other day and it's fine, it's just going crazy on my off days and I'm having to wash it every day and reapply all my products daily.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

My wavy hair. It's dry and frizz-prone by nature and is completely random. Some days it makes beautiful corkscrew curls... but only on one side of my head. I've finally found some products that work really well, but we've had super high humidity for WEEKS on end now and my hair has been behaving very badly. Normally I only wash every other day and it's fine, it's just going crazy on my off days and I'm having to wash it every day and reapply all my products daily.

We are soul sisters in many ways.For second or even third-day hair, have you tried spritzing your hair in the morning and then scrunching in a small amount of a light styling product (I also add a tiny bit of my new hair oil).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My only "dilemma" which isn't really a true "dilemma" is how often I have to cut my hair! My hair is so healthy and grows so fast these days and I want to keep it about to my tailbone so I have to cut it more often if I want to keep it that length.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

We are soul sisters in many ways.For second or even third-day hair, have you tried spritzing your hair in the morning and then scrunching in a small amount of a light styling product (I also add a tiny bit of my new hair oil).

Yes.  That's my normal routine and it's worked very well for me in the past. But it's been raining or just about to/just finished raining here for 6 weeks and when I leave the house in the morning, humidity is 90% or more. When I step outside to take the trash out in the evenings, it's like a sauna outside. The products I've been using can handle it on day one, but by the second day, it's just too much and I have to add a lot more than usual on day two, which makes it look a little manky. I usually avoid silicone anti-frizz serums, but I broke down and used one this morning on my day two hair and it looks better than it did on Tuesday, when I had some serious triangle head going on for my last day two.

I did forget to replace the bottle of oil I normally keep in my shower after I used it in some lotion last week, so that's a good reminder! I'll have to bring that back to the shower and try it on days one and two. I'm not even going to try for a third day again until the rain stops. Smiley Happy