Contributor

So I've been wanting to get a new foundation--something high end for special occassions.  So I have three options in my mind:

-Too Faced Born This Way

-Tarte Amazonian Clay 

-Make Up For Ever HD

If any of you use these three, what do you think?  What are other great foundations?

Honored Contributor

Re: Best High-End Foundation??

Dior makes some of the best I've ever used--in coverage, natural look and shades for my skin.  I don't remember which one (I keep some for "dress up") but they have a lot of them to suit skin tones and your skin type.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi - I haven't tried the Too Faced but have tried the Tarte and MUFE and prefer the latter.

The Tarte never seems to be quite 'right' as far as shades go for me. I also notice that it usually seems a bit 'thick' to apply - once it settles it's ok but not my fave.

MUFE has a lot of shades and I really enjoy the quality of their foundations. I have several that I like including the HD. I just purchased the new HD stick foundation which is great if you have drier skin and want full coverage.  I LOVE their Face & Body Liquid Makeup which is a water based, much lighter weight, buildable foundation. The bonus is that it is a good sized bottle (1.69 oz) for just about $40. GREAT shade selection too.

Guess you can tell by now I am a MUFE fan! Heart

Respected Contributor

I have the Too Faced. I like it but I get much better staying power/longer wear with Lancome Teint Idole 24h.
Respected Contributor

There are really nice foundations in all price ranges. If you don't have any issues with your skin, you probably don't need to spend a lot to get the results that you want. The only one of those 3 that I have used is Amazonian Clay Full Coverage. It's a great foundation, if you have oily skin. You need to be sure to get a good match to your skin because it is so full coverage that it's not very forgiving.

Makeup Forever HD broke me out.

Revlon CS Whipped is a great foundation, if you can get a color match.

TarteTinted Treatment BB Primer is nice & is a bit less coverage than the Full Coverage, so it is more forgiving. 

Napolean Perdis China Doll Foundation is another good coverage foundation that works for my combo/oily skin.

Respected Contributor

Giorgio Armani Luminess Silk. 

Regular Contributor

I used the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation for just over three years. The color match was perfect for me and made my skin look very nice.  I have oily skin with some redness and acne scars.  Definitely full coverage.

Sadly late last year my skin decided to change and it no longer worked for me. Since then I have been on some nutty crusade trying to find something that will work, both high end and drugstore.  My next high end trial will be Kat Von D.  There are great reviews on that one.

Good luck and I would suggest getting samples of anything you decide to try.  No use purchasing an entire bottle/tube/compact of something until you know that it will work for you. Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

@RawkinFoodie wrote:

I used the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation for just over three years. The color match was perfect for me and made my skin look very nice.  I have oily skin with some redness and acne scars.  Definitely full coverage.

Sadly late last year my skin decided to change and it no longer worked for me. Since then I have been on some nutty crusade trying to find something that will work, both high end and drugstore.  My next high end trial will be Kat Von D.  There are great reviews on that one.

Good luck and I would suggest getting samples of anything you decide to try.  No use purchasing an entire bottle/tube/compact of something until you know that it will work for you. Smiley Happy 

Great suggestion to get samples of what you are considering.  Along with matching your skin tone and providing the coverage you want, "staying factor" is important to me.  I personally have been very happy with my local Sephora, both for their recommendations and their willingness to give me samples.  You can also research foundations on-line for starters.

Honored Contributor

I have and really like the Too Faced, however my absolute favorite high end foundation is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk-it is luxurious and just a beautiful liquid makeup!!!!!!!It is 62.00 however, but I do not use it every day so my bottle does last a while!

Honored Contributor

@SmallTownChic222 wrote:

So I've been wanting to get a new foundation--something high end for special occassions.  So I have three options in my mind:

-Too Faced Born This Way

-Tarte Amazonian Clay 

-Make Up For Ever HD

If any of you use these three, what do you think?  What are other great foundations?

I wouldn't consider these to be high end ... more like mid range.    As far as high end, I think the Armani foundation noted above is superb.