Super Contributor

BIG Purge of makeup!!! Surprising results!!

After watching some recent youtubers attack the purge I have hit my stash HARD!!!!! Let's just say I once had a tower of rubbermade drawers and now have one!!

I swatched...I smelled...I rubbed and water spritzed and heres what held up....Keep in mind a lot of these items were just getting OLD.

I trashed all Bobbi Brown!!! I had a few palettes...eye shadow and lip. The lip was DRY, DRY, DRY and I couldn't believe how the shadows were not the payoff I one thought compared to others.

I kept all of my NYX...I have several of the old three circle sets and they really do hold up well.

It cosmetics and Tarte....again so many oxidized products, lots of fall out, smells (6 mos to year old).

L'oreal infallible shadows....6 months later....DRY DRY DRY and very hard to work with...still good color though...GONE

LOVE my Bare Essentials ready shadows...and Too Faced.

Smashbox....on fence....not as big of a wow compared to others above.

Maybelline master shadows (quads) kept...but ALL others GONE!! Tatoo shadows.....likely to go with them.....dry and stinky!

I depotted all Mac Shadows .....so fun... and happy with using these more.

Overall nude matte shadows.....so many don't hold up. My Mally palettes...eh? And dare I say the UD Nakeds have dried faster than the Balm one?

So winners...

The Balm

NYX...some but NOT all!! Some are BAD!!

Too faced

BE Ready shadows

MAybelline master drama sets

Shockers....Some sephora shadows are really great!!! Hunt around for the good ones. Wet and Wild palettes...so yes the pigment is great, great blending but I think these too may go. There is something kind of cheapy powdery about these...Not sure....

Trusted Contributor

Re: BIG Purge of makeup!!! Surprising results!!

It makes one wonder if the preservative ingredients used in the ones that have held up the best can account for their endurance. It does make you wonder why some fare so much better than others?

Kudos to you for purging ......... I always find it such a freeing feeling when I do that but I also abhor clutter and excess in anything. I was doing great for years and then it started collecting again so I just packaged up all the still good cosmetics I rarely ever use and shipped them off to my granddaughters who love to play dress up. This will help keep them out of their Mother's makeup, let them feel important that they actually have their very own collection and gives me that wonderful feeling of returning to a more minimalist supply.

Everyone wins!!!

Super Contributor

I like a clutter-free lifestyle myself. Sometimes on the weekend, I'll conduct makeup face-offs. Smiley Happy One product on one side compared to another on the other side.

Skincare losers move to another part of the body. Makeup losers go into the trash.

It takes me forever to use an entire product, so I don't mind just keeping the best for everyday use.

Esteemed Contributor

I find your list very interesting! Thanks for posting!

Maybe I'll conduct a hard purge on Thursday - another snow day for sure! I'm thinking of all the liners I have that never made the cut!

Trusted Contributor

Purging will make you feel so much lighter. It is a healthy feeling and freeing.

Super Contributor

Wow, you have been busy! I know exactly what you mean about Bobbi Brown lipsticks. They dry out within a month or two and are not moisturizing enough. The eye shadows are equally as dry and they just won't stay on my brush that I purchased from the brush collection she makes...

You have inspired me to purge a lot of lipsticks that I bought that are just too sparkly or brown/nude in shade.

Regular Contributor

Good for you for purging! It's hard to let go of things we spent money on. But what a wonderful feeling to find things that work, and that you love!!

I'm feeling a spring purge coming myself. Hopefully I can truly let go of things I no longer love.

Respected Contributor

Hmm, now I'm in the mood to start tossing items I thought I might need sometime. Seems like I really only use a few products daily, so might as well just pare down to those.

Super Contributor

I really need to purge, I have a large rubbermade type container filled with all kinds of products in zip lock bags to separate, and the stash has overflowed. I suppose I've been keeping everything, because I'll sometimes get the urge to use or test an old product I have after seeing it on QVC, or hearing about it which sparks me to go check it out again. But some of it's really old, I think I may do a nice purge. I really need to purge my other beauty products like old lotions, shampoo & conditioners, etc, those don't hold up as well and since I haven't touched them I just need to toss them and free up some space in my closet.

Thanks I might just do it!

Super Contributor

On 2/11/2014 dperry said:

Purging will make you feel so much lighter. It is a healthy feeling and freeing.

Honestly I need to purge my whole apartment lol. Things especially seem to build up in the winter, I need to just start tossing things that I haven't touched in a long time since they're just taking up space bfore it turns into a hoarders episode.....