Honored Contributor

Re: BEWARE OF SHOPHQ / SHOPNBC SHIPPING CHARGES!!!

Today is free shipping on shop HQ with their CC.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2014 luvtoshopathome said: First let me say that this is not to be mean but you stated it was a very lightweight bag which was stuck between your door and screen door so how could shipping ever be $48 plus?? If the package was that small and lightweight and could fit through a door, im assuming it had to be a piece of clothing. Never should you or could you pay $48 plus for something like that. I have purchased clothing from shophq and their shipping rates are not higher than QVC. Yes I certainly agree it can be costly for shipping rates if you return items but if something is defective or the measurements are wrong or not given and you call them, they will definitely refund your shipping. I know because I have had my shipping costs refunded or even been sent a prepaid label. Seems like something just isn't right here.
Given Shop's S&H, it's very possible. They don't give 1/2 off on the second and subsequent items on the same order. The OP would have paid full shipping on every item. If she had returned something, her original shipping would not be refunded, as QVC does. It's obvious ShopHQ is using S&H to assure a profit.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

On 1/27/2014 kachina624 said:
On 1/26/2014 luvtoshopathome said: First let me say that this is not to be mean but you stated it was a very lightweight bag which was stuck between your door and screen door so how could shipping ever be $48 plus?? If the package was that small and lightweight and could fit through a door, im assuming it had to be a piece of clothing. Never should you or could you pay $48 plus for something like that. I have purchased clothing from shophq and their shipping rates are not higher than QVC. Yes I certainly agree it can be costly for shipping rates if you return items but if something is defective or the measurements are wrong or not given and you call them, they will definitely refund your shipping. I know because I have had my shipping costs refunded or even been sent a prepaid label. Seems like something just isn't right here.
Given Shop's S&H, it's very possible. They don't give 1/2 off on the second and subsequent items on the same order. The OP would have paid full shipping on every item. If she had returned something, her original shipping would not be refunded, as QVC does. It's obvious ShopHQ is using S&H to assure a profit.

That is exactly what they are doing. They make a profit whether you keep the item or return it. I've cut way back on my purchases from ShopHQ & once I'm done paying off the few value pays that I have left, I'm done with them. I've seen lots of people complaining about their S&H practices, it's going to end up costing them customers.

Esteemed Contributor

I scanned the replies on this thread so I don't know if this was addressed- I review the purchases at checkout before I hit 'submit'. No surprises with crazy shipping charges! Or was this thread a general warning?

Not refunding the original shipping is commonplace for many web stores. We're spoiled by QVC and HSN in this regard!

I won't shop ShopNBC (or whatever they're called these days!) due to the shipping. I've heard there are lots of shipping promo days, haven't seen one yet though! I don't like their cs also, I bought only one item years ago and they were downright rude. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2014 Desertdi said:
On 1/26/2014 TY said:

You have to read the fine print when it comes to shipping charges no matter what internet company you choose to shop with. Last September TSC in Canada started to charge a fee to return an item. Not only do you lose your original shipping but also you get dinged for returning an item as well. They have a really restrictive return policy too, a returned item has to be in their warehouse within 30 days of you getting it or else they won't process a return and you have to pay a bundle to get it back or they keep it so you would be out not only your money but the item too!

eek........that's brutal

Yup and TSC also excluded clothes and handbags from their extended holiday returns too. They are basically a monopoly in Canada when it comes to tv retailing. I wish QVC would still ship to Canada.
Super Contributor

I don't do much shopping channel shopping. All of them overcharge for S&H. I really think QVC is the worst about it though.

The only way you get a break on the S&H charges with QVC is if you buy more than one of the same item number, then you get half off the S&H. I was just looking at SHQ's charges and they tend to be less than the Q. The southern channel often has S&H that is far less than the Q as well. They all charge you to return an item even if it was sent to you as free S&H.

Unless I see a really good buy I just don't buy from shopping channels. Why pay individual shipping and handling charges for each item when you can get free shipping on other sites? It is a senseless waste. If you have to return something you have just tacked on at least $12.00 above the purchase price, and that is for a moderate S&H charge.

Trusted Contributor

When you place any order with Shop or anyone else, it states very clearly what the shipping charges are before you hit the order button. Their policy of not refunding original s&h fees has been their policy forever. I shopped a lot with them when they were Value Vision and the same policies were in effect back then. I also find their shipping fees often to be quite reasonable compared to QVC as many orders are $4.99 or $5.99, not $7.22 or higher (on beauty items) which I see here a lot.

One thing Shop does do that QVC never ever does is offer free shipping days or free shipping events. I have bought a lot of beauty products over the years (Isomers and some Skinn more recently) and there were so many times that I paid no shipping fees at all. I actually got so used to them doing that that I had almost come to expect it and recently they have not been offering it as often. I think we'll see it again this year when they want to pump up sales.

Every company has their policies and the onus is on us to know what they are before ordering. I got nailed on a return with HSN over a Christmas gift this year and really had no way to know this would occur but I know it now and will be sure to inquire about the possibility next time.

I ordered a NutriBullet for my DD for Christmas and she got 2 of them so I offered to return the one I bought and get her something else. When I went to complete the return invoice, I noticed there was no return label. I called HSN and was informed that this item was "drop shipped" directly from the vendor and had to be returned the same way and no return label was available. So it cost me just under $20 to return the darn thing. I was annoyed because there was no way I could have known that when ordering. The CS rep agreed that there was no way to know because they don't mention it on air or anywhere in the ordering process online. I told her I thought they should be more responsible in letting customers know about it before they ordered so they wouldn't be shocked by hefty return fees. It generally occurs with heavier weight items so the return shipping fees aren't cheap. I assume they do it to avoid all the costs incurred to get these heavier items to HSN warehouses which could then increase the price of the item.

So beware of any items that are "drop shipped" with HSN as you will be responsible for the return fees, whatever they are, when it requires being shipped back to the original shipper, not HSN. I'd advise (on heavier items at least) to call HSN first and ask if it is a "dropped ship" order if you think there is any chance you might return. Obviously on defective or damaged items any fees will be refunded.

I know it now and won't forget it and will be darn sure to inquire, before ordering next time, if a heavier weight item is being "dropped shipped" and if a return label is supplied. I did have another item last year that also was "dropped shipped" but mine came with a return label to HSN and I used it. Got appropriate credit just fine but read online in reviews that some customers must have called HSN about returning and were then advised not to ship to them but to original sender. I never ever thought twice about it since a label was enclosed but guess I lucked out that time. Not this time though which still annoys me {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Esteemed Contributor

Wackers, you bring up a good point because shopping channels may be using vendors that drop ship an item but the customer doesn't necessarily know that and may not know that until there is a problem. It's why I make it a rule not to buy electronics of any kind or any heavy or expensive item from a shopping channel. Try googling drop shipping problems and it becomes pretty obvious that the customer can run into a lot of problems with the seller as they don't have control over the vendor's inventory or the vendor's shipping. The customer is at a real disadvantage when there are problems with an order and that's something that I'm not willing to deal with.
Trusted Contributor

TY .............. you are absolutely right that there are potentially many problematic issues that can arise from "drop shipped" purchases. I have been fortunate in that some years back now I bought both a Dyson vacuum and an HD TV from HSN .......... the savings were terrific, shipping fees and they didn't even charge sales tax so the savings added up. There wasn't any need for a return with either so avoided any hassles then.

I will be very cautious in the future about any purchases that are drop shipped. And you are correct that they often are the heaviest items they sell. It helps HSN keep their prices down by having the items shipped directly from the vendor rather than shipping them beforehand to HSN warehouses. If I am absolutely sure that I would not return except for damaged or defective merchandise then I would feel pretty comfortable about it but don't think I would ever buy a drop shipped gift there again. Anything defective or damaged they would assume shipping fees.

I was lucky last year as something I bought was drop shipped but mine came with a label. I didn't know about drop shipped items at the time so just slapped that label on and back to HSN it went. Sometime later, I was reading through that item's reviews and many were very unhappy about having to pay for shipping back to this vendor. Apparently they called HSN about returning it and were advised they had to assume the costs for shipping themselves, back to the vendor (with no limit on how much) I wasn't aware of any of this since a label was enclosed with my order so ignorance was bliss in that case. Not so this year!