Respected Contributor

A lady thought I worked there and asked me where this "amazing grace stuff" was.  She looked a little over-whelmed and lost.  I told her I was just a customer, but I could help her.  All of the other employees were busy or elsewhere so I lead her to the philosophy products and showed her some sets that would make great Christmas gifts.  An employee came along to help out by then so I meandered away to look at the new tarte palette.  I ended up buying nothing, but I hope that woman found what she was looking for! 

Honored Contributor

Re: At Ulta the other day ...

I take my granddaughter there all of the time.  She's a teenager and she sits on YouTube and watches these people apply makeup....That's all she wants, that and shoes...  I love buying both granddaughtes things we can shop for together.

She could be a makeup artist she applies everything so beautifully.

My friend (who never goes there) was in there the other day and said she couldn't find anyone to help her and after a few minutes, she left.  She said the sales girls were either applying the OWN makeup or talking with each other.

When I go with grandchildren (I only buy from QVC and HSN) I won't buy them the cheap stuff because they have beautiful skin.  No liquid makeup on that flawless skin either, no powder either.

I never leave the house without eye makeup on.  It's a carry over from the 60's.  I like makeup too.  People say, "You don't look 70!  I thought you were 50!".  I say, "It's a combination of heredity, not going in the sun and mainly "SMOKE and MIRRORS" (otherwise known as makeup)!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32, what a kind thing to do. I'm sure she appreciated that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 No liquid or powders?  What do they use?

Honored Contributor

Most teens (I surmise) are mainly into eye makeup and fingernails!   The granddaughter who wears it is going on 15.  My daughter watches her like a hawk (the makeup).  She doesn't overdo it and actually it looks nice.

They live in Va (near Washington, DC).  Everything is fast forward...I always says she's like a race horse at the gate!  Ha!  Her sister is going on 14 and she doesn't wear much (if any makeup).

In the 60's I was a teenager.  I was and still am into eye makeup.  I get compliments on my eye makeup.  All I do is put on mascara (always Maybelline waterproof) and I line the upper RIM in black eyeliner (waterproof IT)  It stays put.  I use Benefit brow on my eyebrows.  Fuller eyebrows (not real skinny) but not a big bush are a sign of looking younger.  My granddaughter has fuller eyebrows much like Lilly Collins the actress and daughter of Phil Collins.

Makeup evens out the skin....(right)...powder is supposed to even out the skin...(right)  When you are 14 and have flawless skin you don't need liquid makeup or powder.  None of her friends wear it either.  She does sometimes put a little 'stain' on her cheeks, but that's it other than the eye makeup.  Not a lot of eye shadow either.

I'm telling you, it looks amazing!  Ha!

But...for another discussion is how these young teens want to wear heels (yes heels) to high school...can you imagine?

I wish I could show you a picture of her, she looks great.  But the beauty (I think) of this is she's willing to go out all of the time WITHOUT the makeup.  If she didn't do that (at her age) I'd worry.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG, I remember going to Jr. High and while walking g with my friends to school, applying just lipstick.  Rubbing it off before I got home.  That is all we wore.  Bobby socks. And crinaline,(sp)? skirts.  I also shaved my legs and plucked my straight across eyebrows.  Well my Dad never caught the lipstick, but I got in trouble for the rest.  He knew about the leg shaving because I used his razor.  Very strict in the late 40,s.  No jeans or short shorts in school.

I live near a High school and amazed at the short shorts.  I know times change, but that is going to far.  Makeup, I can see, we had to sneak it.

Respected Contributor

The teenagers I know (my former students, mostly) are super in to highlighting and anything glittery or shimmery.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure they use foundation at all.  The teen years also usually include some acne so I'm guessing some of them use it.  Definitely in to the winged eyeliner and highlighting.

Super Contributor

Graduated HS in 1990.  I was totally into eyemakeup and lipstick.  From freshman year on.  I rarely (Never) wore blush and hated foundation.  I have been using balance n brighten for 9 years now because I still hate foundation.  Could never get it to match my skin!

I had acne and tried my mom's concealer.  It made my acne more pronounced! 

Super Contributor

I usually have the problem of too many sales associates around.  that's the case in Ulta or Sephora.  And sadly, I usually know more about the product lines I'm looking for than  they do.  Some of them don't even know that chemical spf (which I no longer use) has an expiration date.

Respected Contributor

I tend to agree that many non-employees know more about makeup than the employees do.  I asked a Sephora employee one time about a brand they have and she had absolutely no clue what I was talking about.  Also, when the Jaclyn HIll eyeshadow palette was pulled, a Sephora I went into had it out.  I told them that BECCA and Jaclyn had pulled it so it shouldn't be on display anymore.  She looked at me like I was an alien.