Regular Contributor

Re: As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

[ Edited ]

Everything that has been stated before I am experiencing. The one really big thing is that I finally came to the conclusion that I can no longer wear under eye concealer.  I have been using concealer daily since way back to the Bonny Bell white white days so you see this was difficult. I've tried everything. My favorite for  tennish years was yves st laurent radiance concealer. Can't use it, everything settles in my lines. Not pretty.    My under eyes look better without especially if you add in the strong readers that we must now wear. Shows every little line.   Loved the racoon look!

Honored Contributor

Re: As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

Raildog...I remember those white white days and they did make your eyes pop!  These days I use a couple drops of oil with my moisturizer, but before I put this on my face for the day I separate a bit of this in my hand and add a bit of concealer.  I put this mixture under my eyes, so the concealer is highly diluted with moisture.    It adds just a bit of highlight under the eyes and is so creamy I don't have any issues with it looking cakey or creasing.  Then I proceed to put the rest of the oil/moisturizer without the concealer over the rest of my face.  I hope this makes sense (I use the inexpensive jojoba oil from Trader Joe's and it works wonders on my face.)

raildog wrote:

Everything that has been stated before I am experiencing. The one really big thing is that I finally came to the conclusion that I can no longer wear under eye concealer.  I have been using concealer daily since way back to the Bonny Bell white white days so you see this was difficult. I've tried everything. My favorite for  tennish years was yves st laurent radiance concealer. Can't use it, everything settles in my lines. Not pretty.    My under eyes look better without especially if you add in the strong readers that we must now wear. Shows every little line.   Loved the racoon look!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've also had to stop using Retin-A or any retinol products on my face or around my eyes, since it exacerbates ocular surface disease (and can even cause it). It's hard to find skincare that works as well as they did for me. I rely more on manual exfoliation now.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

I'm in my early 40's which isn't "old" by any means.  But I am seeing the signs of aging clear as day.  It's amazing how the body starts showing its age so suddenly.  I feel like nothing really changed until I hit 40.  My hair is my biggest complaint.  I have naturally black hair but I started getting white hairs in my 20s.  Now I am at least 75% white, but I still color my hair.  It's frustrating to have to color so often and I keep flirting with the idea of just letting it go natural.  My hair stylist suggested going lighter to camoflauge the roots as they grow out, so I have started doing that and it does help a little.  My husband and kids tell me to let it go, but I just can't yet.  Maybe when I'm 50?

I also wear less makeup and go with a more "natural" vs dramatic look.  I stopped wearing eyeliner and bronzer since no one could tell when I wasn't wearing them.  I definitely think women look younger with less makeup.  I look at the 20 and 30-somethings and shake my head.  I used to be like them, all dolled up and nowhere to go.    But now I'm more comfortable in my own skin.  Except my hair.Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

I hear you!  Just imagine being born with creppy lids.  That's been my life-long curse and no one believes me.

Anyway, dropped by to address your lip issue only, as that was the first thing to really bug me as well.  Was talking to my hair stylist about this, a guy in his early 40s, and he told me to go to MAC cosmetics.  So the following weekend, off I went.

Long story short: I've been using the following MAC products and NO BLEEDING - EVER.

1.  First apply "Lip Primer." 

2.  Apply "Pro Longwear" color of your choice.  Let it dry for a minute or two.

3.  Use other end of "Pro Longwear" tube and apply gloss over the dry color.

I've been using this since perhaps 2009 and wouldn't change.

I've read review on the Pro Longwear Color tube and some women complain that it's so dry and awful and I'll never buy it again, etc., etc.  The problem with their purchase and application was that they simply walked in, saw a color, asked for it and made the purchase.  What they didn't know was that you need the Lip Primer underneath it!  Also, please know that since I've been using the Lip Primer, I've not had one day of chapped lips, even in winter.

Good luck in your quest!