Honored Contributor

As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

Since getting older --- I find that everything about my face has changed!  When I was in my 20s, 30s. 40s, I pretty much had a set beauty routine.  I didn't notice any really big differences in my eyes, lips, complexion, hair, etc.  I hit 50 and beyond --- and ---- wow --- everything went haywire!

It's like I no longer know what or how to approach anything about how to apply makeup or do my hair -- to look half decent.  I feel at a loss.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Or has your regimen just evolved pretty much painfree and seamlessly as you have aged?

I used to apply eye liner - top and bottom --- licketly-split --- used mutliple shades of eye shadow and mascara --- and BAM!  My eyes looked awesome and just jumped out at you!  Now, they are like sunken in and the color is not pretty and bright like they once were and my lids are more hooded and I just can't seem to apply anything to make them look right or appear bright and nice!

As for complexion --- well, rosacea, broken caps, color has been sapped.  I don't have wrinkles -- maybe a few small lines --- so, that's a plus, but can't figure out what makeup to use.  Too flat, too shiny, too much coverage, not enough?

And lips --- want that nice shiny, full look -- apply too much --- then it bleeds.  Use matte and get a flat dull look.

And the eyebrows --- wiry, crazy, half gone, pale.  Grrr.!

And the hair --- not supple and bouncy like it one was!!!  

Well --- it's a lot to to take in.  

I mean, I'm glad I'm still here and kicking and it could always be worse, but really, I just don't think I figured things out beauty-wise since I turned 50!!! Woman Frustrated

There should be a beautiy club for women who are 50 and over to go to, to talk these things over, get professional makeup and hair advice and just commiserate!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

I feel your pain.  I know that makeup can find wrinkles you did not know you had.  My regimen has to be different than when young.  My eyeliner has to be smudged because a solid line shows wrinkley lids.  Sometimes I don't know why I keep bothering with it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

I can relate to you...some days I feel like I'm alot work. But I feel better when I look good, so I keep up with it. Couple of things that really helped, I found a hair stylist that worked with me, and a really good cut made a huge difference. I also throw in about 5 hot rollers for volume. I go occasionally to Mac, and get great suggestions on how to make my eyes pop, and bring out the colors again. I love taking care of my skin..that has made a huge difference. So, all in all, yes, things change, but there are lots ways to help bring out that youthfulness we seem to have lost. That said...I think it all pays off and I get lots compliments...my daughter always tells me that her friends say I'm beautiful...including her boyfriend!! Now...I don't know about that...but, it sure makes me feel nice. So although sometimes we get discouraged, try a little searching around for some beauty tips, and do what's practical for you.
Valued Contributor

I felt the same way when I turned 50. The makeup I used to wear all of a sudden didn't look right. Fotunately that is around the time that you tube started getting more and more channels geared towards women over 50 and beauty. I saw some great examples of makeup application and products. That has helped me a bunch!

Also, everything just takes so much darned longer as far as results. I have been a healthy eater and exerciser for many years now, but if I go off my program for a few days, I see the effects immediately. Then it takes twice as long to see my results once I am back on track.

Another thing that has changed but has helped tremendously is having my thyroid checked, then going on thyroid meds. That helped with my hair and eyebrows and my energy level!  I also take men's minoxidil for my hairline which started changing in my late fourties.  And I also take bio-identical hormones.

So it's not that it's been hard, I just find I have to add more in order to just maintain. Lol! It's like a classic car. Old and pretty, but always in the shop. Lol!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The hardest thing about aging is people's perception of limitations.  Embrace and love who you have become.  Know that your wisdom and compassion have likely increased throughout your life experiences.  My beauty regimes have become simpler, less time consuming, more natural, and cruelty free.  I'm more expressive of my essential nature.  Let the small inconveniences (hair loss, wrinkles, etc) be just that....think gratefulness and love abundantly.

Super Contributor

A few years ago, someone on these boards (I wish I could credit her) commented on her morning beauty routine as she ages and said...

It takes me twice as long to look half as good!

There it is... reality.  But I keep on enjoying new products and feeling grateful for the good things in my life.

Respected Contributor

I think the key is wearing less makeup - especially foundation - I just cover areas that are in need - not an all over mask like I used to.  I don't have many wrinkles at all so don't have the creasing problem.  No above eye eyeliner - makes your eyes look very harsh - I line my rim with brown only - softer -just a quick swipe - nothing harsh.  I use soft colors for eyeshadow - taupes and browns - I do like a pop of color on my lips though to brighten my face.

Honored Contributor

Neck, hands and eyebrows, but it is what it is.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I notice more in my hair, so much thinner, and takes forever to grow.....I used to have such nice hair, but as I age, my hair has aged way faster than my face......I don't have too many complaints regarding my face, other than dark under eye circles, but I think they are hereditary, and a good concealer works wonders...As far as makeup, I too believe less is more as you age, especially with dark harsh eyeliners and too much mascara, it makes the eye area look aged and harsh and shows all of your imperfections a lot easier too...I do believe in pops of color on the cheeks and lips, as they say when we age we lose color and go beige...So light pops of color is good!. 

Valued Contributor

Well now I could say a whole body makeover but.... As far as my face makeup I have really begun using less. I find eyelid primer a must. I use Too Face Hangover for primer and there foundation, but I need less. I can't wear anything when it's really hot,I feel like a wet wrung out rag! I do find that if I use eye primer and then sweep alight pink all over the lid, then a light blue and a darker pink in the crease, no eyeliner on top, but always eyeliner on bottom. I use blue or black. Mascara is an issue I apply and it seems it doesn't even look like I have lashes.I also use a neeck. times I question why I do this still for me and forpoor hubby so he's not terrorize!,