QVC Customer Care

Re: Article: Long Hair Over 50

This post has been removed by QVC because it's unkind

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Im 59, Five year's ago decided stop coloring my hair.

Pixie style helped immensely! Then about 2yrs later wanted long hair.Best decision ever made! Besides letting my grey grow in. PSX_20160429_073048.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgot mentioning, WEN! Life changing!.

Favorite Bamboo Restorative CC. Hardly ever use my very expensive blow dryer. Thanks Qvc & Chaz.💗

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am 60 today.....I am  kind of at the crossroads here... I had long hair for many years that I colored for years to hide my silver white hair... three years ago I said NO MORE COLOR! NO MORE MESS, TIME AND EXPENSE. So I cut my hair super short... and grew out the color.  So it it now silver white.

I had my hair short for about a year.. and it was fun.. but, missed playing with my hair. Putting it up on my head and using clips and such. So now I have let it growout  to about my shoulders... it is all white. I want it about 6 inches longer( another year to grow) so I can put it up in a messy bun. Right now I can JUST put it up in a pony tail. 

I do not plan to grow it super long again... but, we will see... I tend to go from one extreme to another with my hair! 

Happy birthday, Sea Maiden!

As for this topic, I think it's a general rule that older women look better with shorter hair, but there are many exceptions.  Maria Shriver comes to mind as one.

Respected Contributor

After my 1st chemo in 2012 when my hair fellout, after I got better I began to grow my hair out. It is now down to my bra strap in the back. My goal is waist length.

How does it look? I am stopped very often by women my age (over 60) who compliment me on my beautiful hair.

I could care less what society's expectations are. 'They' can pay my bills, then I might care.

Honored Contributor

A long line next to another verticle line calls attention to the first.  I think a lot of women cut there hair because it is more youthful looking not to call attention to lines.  At my age, I hardly have any lines because I never was a "sun goddess" and had two sunstrokes before I left high school.

As a teacher, I was stopped in the hall by a new assistant principal and asked who's class I "was in"!  That's why I cut my long blonde hair, not to mention other "things"!

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@sonechko  Gosh! Thanks!

when my Mom was alive, she used to ask me,"when are you going to cut your hair?"

I would tell her, "When I am old"......

still waiting.....LOL

My parents are in their late 60's and my mom cut her hair really short several years ago just because it was "easy" to care for. However, my dad has been asking her to let it grow longer for those same amount of years. He doesn't necessarily want her to grow it to her butt, lol, but would like it longer like maybe to the shoulders. Most of the older male friends of my dad's say they wish their wives had longer hair than the typical "older lady" short hair they all seem to wear. Many have beautiful hair but opt for short hair because they want essentially wash and go styles and not "fuss" with longer hair. I don't know, I am not 50 but I do have long hair down to my tail bone and I guess I am lucky but I don't really have to "fuss" with my hair unless I want a really dramatic look, certainly not enough fuss to think it is causing me undue stress or minutes off my life. Funny thing is, most of those same women will spend tons of time with their makeup and skincare routines so not sure why that isn't a consideration in terms of fussing or taking so much time on their morning routines?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity

You are 59!  You look much younger.

I am not cutting my long hair when I am in my 50's.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDazeYou may have to change your mind about this once you get through menopause. Many women felt as you do until they saw what meno did to their hair - or like me , chemo. Sometimes a drug you may need to take can also ruin your hair and skin.

I don't understand why people are so fast to judge older women as too lazy to care for themselves when in fact - they don't know the facts of that person or group of people's lives. GEEZ.

Those who don't know the facts of any situation should learn to keep their mouth shut and mind their own business.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@sonechko  Gosh! Thanks!

when my Mom was alive, she used to ask me,"when are you going to cut your hair?"

I would tell her, "When I am old"......

still waiting.....LOL

My parents are in their late 60's and my mom cut her hair really short several years ago just because it was "easy" to care for. However, my dad has been asking her to let it grow longer for those same amount of years. He doesn't necessarily want her to grow it to her butt, lol, but would like it longer like maybe to the shoulders. Most of the older male friends of my dad's say they wish their wives had longer hair than the typical "older lady" short hair they all seem to wear. Many have beautiful hair but opt for short hair because they want essentially wash and go styles and not "fuss" with longer hair. I don't know, I am not 50 but I do have long hair down to my tail bone and I guess I am lucky but I don't really have to "fuss" with my hair unless I want a really dramatic look, certainly not enough fuss to think it is causing me undue stress or minutes off my life. Funny thing is, most of those same women will spend tons of time with their makeup and skincare routines so not sure why that isn't a consideration in terms of fussing or taking so much time on their morning routines?

I don't fuss with mine either. I take a shower and that's it. No blow drying .