Trusted Contributor

Arnica to help speed healing from a bruise?

I got a flu shot last Sunday and although I did not really feel the needle, I bled a bit and developed a bruise (very unusual compared to previous years).  I've read about arnica for years, but never tried it.  I decided to pick some up and do an experiment.  Half my bruise got arnica, half got nothing.  I'm not really sure it's working for me and was wondering about other people's experiences with arnica and how it worked for you.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: Arnica to help speed healing from a bruise?

yes arnica does work.  it comes in a gel and pills too  if you know that you are going to have a procedure that may bruise, they recommend taking the pills several days beforehand and that helps the bruising.  you will still bruise, it won't be as bad nor last as long.  now that you have the bruise applying the gel, will shorten the length of time you have the bruise.

also. no advil or ibuprofen.  thins the blood.

Super Contributor

Yes!  Arnicare Cream is the best.  My mother had surgery and many bruises and swelling on her arms and legs.  In 48 hours the bruises were so much lighter we were floored.  Her physical therapist was the one who recommended it.  It also helped me with a swelling in my hand after an accident.  Amazing stuff.  But the PT said to always get the cream, not the gel.  

Respected Contributor

I guess ignorance can be bliss sometimes!Woman LOL  I use the Arnica Gel, and have been pleased with my results.  I tend to be a klutz, and therefore, bruise myself often.  The gel takes them away much faster than waiting it out and seems to also lessen the pain as well.  It should be used as soon as possible after the event for the best results.  Now that I know that the cream is a better option I'll get that next time.Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Occasional Contributor

If I bang myself and know a bruise will develop and I can apply the arnica immediately, the bruise will either not develop or it will be much lighter and go away faster.  Also, there will be no pain.  If I discover a bruise that has already formed at some point and then apply the arnica, it has no effect.

Honored Contributor

I wonder why the cream is better than the gel, I thought it was the arnica montana1XHPUS-7% was the active ingredient, the other inactive ingred. should not make a difference.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for mentioning Arnica, Stargazer, I'd never heard of it but it looks like good stuff!  I hope it helps your bruising and speeds up your healing!  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the replies, everyone!  They're much appreciated.  I wanted a cream, but Target only carried a gel.  My first stop was Rite Aid and they didn't have any in stock at all, so I was pleased to see at least something at Target.  I'll wait til I bump into something and try my experiment again.  Haha.  I just got the arnica on Thursday, so it's quite a far bit removed from my Sunday shot.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy arnica gel and the cream in 3 packs through amazon.  Our CVS here charges 9.25 for a tube of arnica.I think I pay 21.00 for a pack of 3, which is a little better.  We use arnica all the time, mainly for pain!  it helps with sore or swollen joints.

BTW, I use arnica around my mouth, for a few days prior to getting fillers!  Then I keep it on after with ice.  Really works for brusing.  Several of my friends surgeon's hd them use it after surgery, for swelling and brusing.

Respected Contributor

I don't use it for bruises, but it is magic on a burn. It takes the pain away immediately! Amazing stuff.