Super Contributor

Are there any sunless tanners without all the harmful chemicals?

I have to be careful with ingredients - I'm allergic to wheat/gluten - which means many vitamin E products, oats, etc - I would love to find a sunless tanner without all the parabens and harmful toxic ingredients -

Does such a product exist?  I am fair to light complexion and I never tan only burn and end up with a migraine.  Needless to say I have  stayed out of the sun, my skin looks pretty good and I don't have a lot of wrinkles for 57 going on 58 - but I still would love a bit of color in my skin if that is possible...

If not - I've lived 57 - 58 years without a tan - its not the end of the world Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Are there any sunless tanners without all the harmful chemicals?

[ Edited ]

For one thing, there's no proof that parabens are harmful or toxic.  I'm assuming that you likely participate on GF forums.  Maybe that would be the place to ask.  

That said, here are the ingredients for the new SKINN self-tanning products.  Unless I missed something, there are no parabens.  Unfortunately, there's only a kit available.  If you're only interested in the towelettes, you might find them on eBay.  Since it's new, there isn't a lot of feedback yet, but one poster yesterday did say they were dry so you'll need several towelettes to do the job.

Simply Sunkissed Sunless Tanning Cloths: Aqua, Dihydroxyacetone, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tetrasodium Edta, Sodium Metabisulfite, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum.

Endless Summer Tan Extending Lotion: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Butylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Dihydroxyacetone, Cyclodextrin, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Isosorbide Dicaprylate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Phytosteryl Isostearate, Butyroyl Pentapetide-24, Erythrulose, Panthenol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Tremella Fuciformis Sporocarp (Mushroom) Extract, Sodium Phytate, Aqua, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Coconut Alkanes, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Disodium Edta, Parfum, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol.

Liquid Gold Bronzing Treatment Serum: Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Acrylates/Polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Propylene Carbonate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bha, Sodium Hyaluronate May Contain, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492, Ci 77491, Ci 77499).

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry I do not know the ingredients (I hardly read  labels)  but I like plain ol Jergens tanner.I am very fair.It dosn't streak or smell,believe it or not and I get a wonderful tan all summer long......now I'm gonna go read that label...........lol

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I'm sorry I do not know the ingredients (I hardly read  labels)  but I like plain ol Jergens tanner.I am very fair.It dosn't streak or smell,believe it or not and I get a wonderful tan all summer long......now I'm gonna go read that label...........lol

@MalteseMomma  I'm trying this one, too.  It does contain parabens, which the OP doesn't want.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@MalteseMomma  I'm trying this one, too.  It does contain parabens, which the OP doesn't want.

It probably does but I love it anyway. I tried to read the list but I cannot see it well.Bad old eyes.lol... This is the best tanner I have ever used and I have used  many in my yrs.........lol  I get perfect color and it does increase as I use it nightly after my bath.It is a white body lotion  with a pump. you really don't smell the next day, it dosn't "molt" or whatever you call that aligator skin look some begin to do. you do not need to use it daily ,I just do most of the time.

Honored Contributor

@58Meezer

I hope you get a suggestion you can use!

I gave up on the self-tanners.  I cannot tan either.  I used to try, but it was burn and peel. 

For some reason, there seems to be some ingredient in all these products -- well, maybe not all -- but every single one I have tried - and I have tried a lot --- which breaks me out and makes me itch like mad.  I can only assume it is the property which actually colors the skin.  So, I have to steer clear and just remain my true, pale self.  

Well, at this stage of the game, I embrace it.  It's who I am.  Nevertheless, I would enjoy a bit of color on my legs and arms during the warm months, but it is, what it is.

I hope you have better luck!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Suzanne Somers has a line of sunless tanning items, totally toxic free.

Super Contributor

AngelPuppy1 - I am with you - I am 58 years old - I guess the good thing with not being able to tan I don't have a lot of wrinkles in my face.  I am beginning to just to face it - it is what it is - use pale faces have to stick together Smiley Happy