Honored Contributor

Are dark roots acceptable on blondes?

I keep seeing blondes on QVC with dark brown roots. Is this a new look? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Are dark roots acceptable on blondes?

Hmmm. It's about as old as Madonna.

Respected Contributor

I've been seeing it for awhile, and they are even making some of the wigs with dark roots!  I really think it's become a fashion trend, although I won't be a participant.  My hair is long, straight, and lightened to a light blonde (thus my nick!).  My natural color (if I can remember) is a warm med-light brown.  I religiously touch up my own roots every four weeks, and they aren't even that dark.  I just think it looks kind of dirty and messy if I don't do it!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Well they made Farrah Fawcett a household name.

Many other famous ladies love the look.

Beyonce has held on to this look for a good 15 years now.

It seems never to go out of style.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I've been seeing it for awhile, and they are even making some of the wigs with dark roots!  I really think it's become a fashion trend, although I won't be a participant.  My hair is long, straight, and lightened to a light blonde (thus my nick!).  My natural color (if I can remember) is a warm med-light brown.  I religiously touch up my own roots every four weeks, and they aren't even that dark.  I just think it looks kind of dirty and messy if I don't do it!

I was a blonde in childhood and never had dark roots. I had a hairdresser who really influenced my opinion of them. He told me if I wanted to go back to my color from childhood, I had to realize the commitment meant not exposing to the world my dark blonde roots. He said they look lazy and ruin a person's appearance. Times sure have changed...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

I was a blonde in childhood and never had dark roots. I had a hairdresser who really influenced my opinion of them. He told me if I wanted to go back to my color from childhood, I had to realize the commitment meant not exposing to the world my dark blonde roots. He said they look lazy and ruin a person's appearance. Times sure have changed...

That statement had to be a real money maker for the hairdresser.  

The all blonde look can be  harsh or aging and for many makes their hair look thin at the roots.

Honored Contributor

Anyone showing roots just looks bad.  Either keep up your color or  go to the color growing out of your scalp. Ladies with grey roots either color them or go grey.

Honored Contributor

The dark-root look might be acceptable, but personally I never liked it. IMO it makes you look cheap somehow...like you didn't have the time or money to get to your hairdresser.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

That statement had to be a real money maker for the hairdresser.  

The all blonde look can be  harsh or aging and for many makes their hair look thin at the roots.

@hopi Actually I do my own hair. He just used to cut it. My color has dimension..the gray hairs pick up differently and it is tone on tone. Nothing harsh or aging about it.

Trusted Contributor

I see if on tv and in magazines so it must be ok. I am seeing them doing something and I don't remember what it is called but the top is darker and halfway down its blonde or vice versa?   If you want to wear it that way do as I see people on tv wearing that style.