Honored Contributor

Re: Are dark roots acceptable on blondes?

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I see if on tv and in magazines so it must be ok. I am seeing them doing something and I don't remember what it is called but the top is darker and halfway down its blonde or vice versa?   If you want to wear it that way do as I see people on tv wearing that style.

That's called "ombre" hair coloring. It's expensive to do.

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

i like a bit of root on blonde when i had blondee hair but i had foil highlights so you will get a half inch or so root where the foils start

i do a different thing now with bayalage and the 4" or so inches down is where the lighter shades level 8 and 9 start.   my crown area is a neutral level 6- 7

Respected Contributor

I don't care one way or the other, it's not my head.  

Valued Contributor

Do you mean the Ombre look?

Esteemed Contributor

anything goes anymore.......I get my roots done every 3 weeks...

Honored Contributor

It's been around for quite some time ... Look a lot better than gray roots on brunettes!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was born blonde.  My roots were always a slightly darker blonde but not brown.  My hair did continue to get dark though as I got older and now is actually a light brown at 49. 

I think sometimes the roots look darker depending on how light your hair is because it's dark against light?

My hair is blonde, blonde now again with help from the salon.  I get my hair done every 8 weeks and at the snail's pace my hair grows, that is enough.  Do I have some root re-growth?  Yes but nothing crazy and the way I wear my hair makes it less visible.  When I start to get rooty, I don't pull my hair back or put it up because that exposes the roots even more.

If my hair grew fast I'd have to have it done more often or not have my hair so blonde. However, I too prefer a little darkness at the roots.  Otherwise, my hair looks colored blonde instead of highlighted and that's not what I'm going for. 

I've never cared for ombre hair because to me it just looks like bad root re-growth.    

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I see if on tv and in magazines so it must be ok. I am seeing them doing something and I don't remember what it is called but the top is darker and halfway down its blonde or vice versa?   If you want to wear it that way do as I see people on tv wearing that style.

That's called "ombre" hair coloring. It's expensive to do.

download.jpg

Cecil the lion had a mane like that. It looked great on him.

Honored Contributor

I actually like it when your hair is a lighter brown and the roots are dark brown. 

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I don't care one way or the other, it's not my head.  

I agree! If you have them and you like them, they are acceptable.