Honored Contributor

Applying Foundation Primer

[ Edited ]

I saw a video today of a woman applying her primer with a sponge and it got me to thinking...do you apply your primer with your God-given applicator (fingers), a sponge or a brush?

I've always used my fingers but a sponge sounds intriguing. Thoughts?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Re: Applying Foundation Primer

@SurferWife @I never thought about this. My fingers.

Honored Contributor

Fingers, same as my foundation.  I do buff out my foundation with a dense brush at the end though.

Trusted Contributor

Fingers for me. if sponge used is dry, wouldn't it absorb too much product?  If sponge is damp, how does that work on primer? Wouldn't it negate the slip of the primer and some of its properties as far as extending wear etc.?

If you do try, let us know how it goes.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess @Here's a strange confession....I love buffing my makeup! It makes me feel so grown up and ladylike! Lol

Honored Contributor

fingers or a spray container.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I don't use Primer, but I would use my fingers if I did.  As it stands now, I use my fingers for liquid makeup and sometimes use a Beauty Blender if I need it for corners near they eye.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Fingers. I've tried sponge and brush and I did not have good results. Probably my technique was wrong. I do seem to have better control and better results when I use my fingers for primer, BB creams and foundations.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

The tools I was born with 😉. The same goes for my eyelids for eyeshadow primer. 

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

Fingers. I've tried sponge and brush and I did not have good results. Probably my technique was wrong. I do seem to have better control and better results when I use my fingers for primer, BB creams and foundations.

@kate2357 

Applying with a sponge or brush does sound odd to me.  I may try it tomorrow just to say I did, but I treat my primers as my last skin care application, so I've always used my fingers.

Skincare - fingers

Make-up - brush or sponge

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.