Respected Contributor

Anyone stop retinol, and/or Vitamin C ? Look o.k. yet??

I'm out of both, and not sure what's helping or doing anything.  Been steady user of good 1% retinol, and tried many C serums.   Basically I have nice luminous skin, but no real improvement on deep smile lines.  Don't think I look firmer either.

These products are very expensive...I'm just not sure if they're worth it anymore.   Thinking of holding off awhile, and see if I look worse..HA.   

Anyone NOT use these products, and feel ok about it??

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone stop retinol, and/or Vitamin C ? Look o.k. yet??

I've used pretty much everything out there cream wise.  The only one I've continued has been Strivectin neck cream, but can't say if it's helped a lot or not, but I like the cream and don't think things have gotten worse ....yet...

But I do use Nu-Face A257137 (it was a TSV and came with more than just the little mini machine)....  and it has strengthened the muscles under my face (especially across my cheek bones) so my face is firmer, some of the lines have diminished (because of the firming and lifting up of the muscles, quite like the Facial Flex) and I've been very happy with it.  It works by stimulating the muscles under the face and was developed for people who had Bells-Palsey or Stroke problems with drooping.  I think it's an effective machine for "excercising" the face muscles and with it the outer skin will often lift and straighten out a little making the wrinkles less apparent....

I use Peter Thomas Roth's Serum and I've switched to Aloe Vera Gel (instead of buying the brand's expensive accessories and mine have worked well.  I use the machine on the highest setting (3rd) and do it five minutes on each side of the face usually around 5 - 6 times a week.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I use both. Retinol about everyother day, Vit. C,almost everyday except when I use copper peptide serum by Isomer.  I have used these for probably 20 years. I will be 60 in a few weeks...my skin is pretty good. I go without foundation many days and my skin looks great.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO both retinol and vitamin C work not only to reverse aging and skin damage but to also maintain and increase the collagen and elasticity you have. Retinol takes months to work. Once you stop using it, the collagen loss that comes with aging will begin slowly but surely. Vitamin C helps to keep your skin free of hyperpigmentation.

In my experience, you might need to switch to a higher % retinol and Vit C to begin to see more noticeable results since your skin may have plateaued. But IMO rest assured they are both working to keep your skin's collagen level and brightness at a certain level. I would not stop using either product. A few months or years from now you may regret it. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

IMO both retinol and vitamin C work not only to reverse aging and skin damage but to also maintain and increase the collagen and elasticity you have. Retinol takes months to work. Once you stop using it, the collagen loss that comes with aging will begin slowly but surely. Vitamin C helps to skin your skin free of hyperpigmentation.

In my experience, you might need to switch to a higher % retinol and Vit C to begin to see more noticeable results since your skin may have plateaued. But IMO rest assured they are both working to keep your skin's collagen level and brightness at a certain level. I would not stop using either product. A few months or years from now you may regret it. 

HMMMM....your convincing me

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

IMO both retinol and vitamin C work not only to reverse aging and skin damage but to also maintain and increase the collagen and elasticity you have. Retinol takes months to work. Once you stop using it, the collagen loss that comes with aging will begin slowly but surely. Vitamin C helps to skin your skin free of hyperpigmentation.

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy

@Dazlin  I can give you a perfect example. Many years ago I was using HSN's Clear acne system and then one day I decided that my skin was clear enough and I didn't need it anymore and could save that money. I stopped using it and boom my skin exploded with acne so bad that I had to run to see a dermatologist. 

What I failed to realize, is that my skin was clear because I was using the products. I began to take my clear skin for granted as if my skin was clear on its own. I learned this lesson the hard way. Now, that I'm in my late twenties I have to also use products that are more antiaging. I want to make sure I maintain the collagen, elasticity and brightness I have in my skin but also increase it as I get older. 

Don't make the mistake of stopping products especially retinol that is the only ingredient with a proven track record. Since the time I had to go see a dermatologist, I've been using different Vit A products such as Tazorac and Differin, which have also given me antiaging benefits. Now, that I'm older I'm using retinol and only plan to stop when I'm ready to conceive again in the near future. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@Dazlin wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy

@Dazlin  I can give you a perfect example. Many years ago I was using HSN's Clear acne system and then one day I decided that my skin was clear enough and I didn't need it anymore and could save that money. I stopped using it and boom my skin exploded with acne so bad that I had to run to see a dermatologist. 

What I failed to realize, is that my skin was clear because I was using the products. I began to take my clear skin for granted as if my skin was clear on its own. I learned this lesson the hard way. Now, that I'm in my late twenties I have to also use products that are more antiaging. I want to make sure I maintain the collagen, elasticity and brightness I have in my skin but also increase it as I get older. 

Don't make the mistake of stopping products especially retinol that is the only ingredient with a proven track record. Since the time I had to go see a dermatologist, I've been using different Vit A products such as Tazorac and Differin, which have also given me antiaging benefits. Now, that I'm older I'm using retinol and only plan to stop when I'm ready to conceive again in the near future. 

Thank-you!  Appreciate your reply!    I'll be looking for another "C", and maybe try PTR new 3% retinol.   Hoping I find a break on it..$82..YIKES!!    I buy alot from Amazon, but lately I got some old stuff.

Honored Contributor

I have used retinal for years and a few years ago decided to simplify.  I went from using about 7 layers of anti-aging products to one and within a year my skin no longer looked bright, firm, radiant and altogether younger. I've started back using a retinal and a few other anti-aging creams and my skin is getting back on track. To hell with simplifying! I want my skin to look fabulous!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I stopped using my vitamin C for awhile when the formulation changed and I was trying to find a new one. Although my face didn't collapse and turn horrible on me, I did notice after awhile it didn't seem as luminous as it usually does. It was very subtle but, to me, noticeable nonetheless. I was happy when I started using it again and in no time the luminosity came back.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I stopped using my vitamin C for awhile when the formulation changed and I was trying to find a new one. Although my face didn't collapse and turn horrible on me, I did notice after awhile it didn't seem as luminous as it usually does. It was very subtle but, to me, noticeable nonetheless. I was happy when I started using it again and in no time the luminosity came back.

@HappyDaze, I think I've asked you this a million times, but do you use any retinol product? I am currently not doing so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland