Honored Contributor

Anyone here a licensed Esthetician or makeup artist?

My daughter wants to be a makeup artist, for print or movies. Aren't you required to have an esthetician's cosmetology license do that? 

Anything I should know about choosing a cosmetology school? There is one at the local community college but I haven't determined if the certificate qualifies you to take the tests for esthetician also or just hair. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone here a licensed Esthetician or makeup artist?

Jax, I would suggest  looking into schools that offerror classes for esthetican courses only, not including  hair and nails.  otherwise she will be stuck with courses she doesn't  want or will use.  Usually  the courses last about  9 months. 

Honored Contributor

Is she still in high school?  Her guidance counselor should be able to help her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No she's an adult. And she was homeschooled. 

Honored Contributor

@JoElla wrote:

Jax, I would suggest  looking into schools that offerror classes for esthetican courses only, not including  hair and nails.  otherwise she will be stuck with courses she doesn't  want or will use.  Usually  the courses last about  9 months. 

But is one legally qualified to do makeup with the esthetitian license? I think it must depend on the state you are in. From what I looked up only 36 states require licensing for make up artists. 

Honored Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

@JoElla wrote:

But is one legally qualified to do makeup with the esthetitian license? I think it must depend on the state you are in. From what I looked up only 36 states require licensing for make up artists. 

I don't think makeup application comes under the services typically provided by an aesthetician.  They deal with the actual care of the skin.  Makeup application would be part of a cosmetology course and license.  When my DD was in school to become a hair stylist, they had to learn about makeup application, manicures, and pedicures, all as part of the course, and pass testing on it.  If someone is providing a service in exchange for money, they need the appropriate license.  

Honored Contributor

I'm only asking based on licensing requirements. 

Honored Contributor

I would think Community College would be the perfect place to start then she will find out what additional classes she may need if she wants to go further in that field.

Esteemed Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

My daughter wants to be a makeup artist, for print or movies. Aren't you required to have an esthetician's cosmetology license do that? 

Anything I should know about choosing a cosmetology school? There is one at the local community college but I haven't determined if the certificate qualifies you to take the tests for esthetician also or just hair.

jaxs mom,

The bolded language above instantly made me think of the SYFY Channel program "Face-Off," in which contestants already working in the industry of make-up and/or design and fabrication of latex/silicone face, neck, arm, leg, etc., prothetics to enhance an actor's character (think the hands in "Edward Scissorhands," for example) and the terrific make-up in the recent edition of "Alice in Wonderland" (fabulous!).

If I were the mom of such a daughter, I'd do everything possible to get in touch with Ms. Ve Neill, Oscar winning make-up artist.  She's also a judge on "Face-off."  If anyone can give you the BEST answer, it's going to be Ve Neill.  She's a busy lady, but is also a very hip and nice lady.

Note:  The new season of Face-off commences July 28th on SYFY,  Would highly recommend you and your daughter watch it.  Check them out online.

Good luck to your daughter!

Contributor

Where would your daughter like to work? Does she have a specific employer in mind? If she does, I'd start with looking at what her ideal employer(s) are looking for in new recruits. Search for current job postings in her desired field, that may give you ideas too.

Encourage her to volunteer her services (school plays, church events, community plays), potential employers love that. Even if she initially does not have the opportunity to apply makeup, working around others in the field will be good experience of what to expect when she gets her degree/license.