Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone getting the Doll10 TSV?

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@sassenach1 wrote:
I just can't get past the name, Doll 10. I just can't purchase it.

Why?  It's just a name.  My understanding is that Doris was marketing her products under her last name "Dalton" until she learned there already was a company with that name.  She had to rebrand her products and decided on "Doll 10" because it was closely similar to the sound of her name.

I think that is cleaver and thought the name was cute anyway. 

Honored Contributor

OK, after using the kit yesterday and today, here's my review...

HydraGel Foundation - I already like this and wanted more before my next A/D was scheduled to ship so this TSV came along at the perfect time.  I have medium toned, normal skin.  The medium shade is just right for me - no yellow, more neutral.  I deliberately took very small amounts and would repeat as needed to get the coverage I wanted with the least amount of product.  @HappyDaze - I was able to make it sheer w/o amending it in any way.  The foundation is buildable for someone who wants more coverage by just repeating the process until it's to their liking.

HydraGel Concealer - You have to be very careful when dispensing.  If you squeeze the tube too hard, you'll end up with way too much.  A tiny (pinhead) amount is all you need for starters and add another pinhead amount if needed.  It did a very good job of concealing my broken capillaries.  I used it with the small end of the included brush and applied over the foundation.

HydraGel Cheek Balm - on the listing, the color is described as a soft nude rose.  This is very accurate when looking at it in the pan.  On my cheeks, I could barely see anything but a faint tint.  The application, with the large side of the included brush, was very easy, but it took me a couple of times to see if I could build the color, which I couldn't.  I will be trying the cheek balm in other colors.

Yesterday, I left everything as is and felt too dewey for my preference.  A couple of hours after application, I couldn't see the blush at all.  This morning I used a little RCMA No Color Powder to set the blush and not get that dewiness.  I like it better that way.

Luxe Lip Color - IMO, this is right up there with the typical Doris Dalton nudes, but there is a pale pink hue to it rather than the usual beige.  Again, not a color I'd typically choose.  I wasn't fond of the lipstick alone on me as nudes often just look pasty on me like a color an undertaker would use.  The gloss over the lipstick did help the color to pink up a little and the look went right along with that "natural" look.

Effortlash Mascara - In one word...LOVE!  The brush has very short bristles so it's easier to get to the base of the lashes.  In two coats I had fullness and great length without clumping or creating spider lashes.  I like this mascara so much that I've already ordered more. (A275118)

The Brush - it's OK.  I'm not a fan of double ended brushes because I find them inconvenient to store.  Both ends worked fine, but I probably wouldn't buy the brush since I have plenty of other brush options already.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about the kit.   I'm pleased with foundation, concealer, and mascara, even though the blush and lipstick didn't knock my socks off.  The price of the kit is still better for the items I do like as opposed to buying them individually.  I'm going to keep my A/D because future installments will include new lipstick and blush colors.  Hopefully they'll be more to my liking.  And if they aren't, I'll still have the products I like for a good price.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I was kind of wondering if the blush and lip products would be a bit too light, once applied.  That seems to often be the case with the shades I tend to gravitate towards.  Thanks for the follow-up review.  I'll probably wait for the presentation, as I'm still unsure.  I appreciate your details, though.  Thanks, again.

@WenDoll10girl and @beautydiva , thanks for sharing your thoughts, too.  

And thanks, also, to the others who have shared thoughts on the Doll10 items they've previously tried.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Valued Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  I was kind of wondering if the blush and lip products would be a bit too light, once applied.  That seems to often be the case with the shades I tend to gravitate towards.  Thanks for the follow-up review.  I'll probably wait for the presentation, as I'm still unsure.  I appreciate your details, though.  Thanks, again.

@WenDoll10girl and @beautydiva , thanks for sharing your thoughts, too.  

And thanks, also, to the others who have shared thoughts on the Doll10 items they've previously tried.  

@I like celery You are very welcome.  I hope it helps.

Formally NewtoWen
Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@WenDoll10girl Thank you for that excellent review/description of products-very helpful, especially regarding foundation colors. I think I will be choosing fair if I try it. You can get this on AD and it will come with different color blushes and lipgloss and no brush and reduces to $44 I believe it is so that might be a better deal than just the foundation you have on AD? Just something to consider, especially since you like the blushe, foundation and mascara already. Smiley Happy. And thank you- I am doing pretty well. Had a couple issues recently but going back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up so will discuss with her. Hopefully all normal stuff. Smiley Happy

@HappyDaze You are welcome.  I tried to buy today and says sold out.  Already?  Wow.

Formally NewtoWen
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

That looked like a great TSV so I watched some Hydrogel foundation videos to get a feel for the product.  In all honesty, the makeup did not look great when applied.  Although it appeared to give good coverage, I thought it looked heavy and unnatural on each person and it emphasized lines.  Several of the faces looked "cracked" -- especially noticeable on forehead lines, and one YouTube blogger who loved the product looked downright patchy.  It often looked cakey.  

This is a no-go for me.  

Frequent Contributor

I tried the kit today.  I dotted the foundation on my face and used a beauty blender, I found the coverage very good and the finish is really nice.  I used a small amount of the concealer under my eyes and it looks very natural, again blended out with the beauty blender.  The blush is nice, subtle, just what I like.  I used some Too Faced bronzer also. I am not sure about the mascara, it is clumpy looking with 2 coats, I will try 1 coat tomorrow.  I like this kit so much that I am converting to Auto Delivery.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TheYAdelm wrote:

That looked like a great TSV so I watched some Hydrogel foundation videos to get a feel for the product.  In all honesty, the makeup did not look great when applied.  Although it appeared to give good coverage, I thought it looked heavy and unnatural on each person and it emphasized lines.  Several of the faces looked "cracked" -- especially noticeable on forehead lines, and one YouTube blogger who loved the product looked downright patchy.  It often looked cakey.  

This is a no-go for me.  

The thing about this foundation is that you only need a drop or drop and a half. Very tiny amount. Sometimes people use too much and that is when it will look heavy. I use very little and looks very natural. I tap tap tap lightly with the tip of the brush and then blend. I get tons of complements about how nice my skin looks.

Formally NewtoWen
Super Contributor

@HappyDaze  Yes the light is good for me  LOL

Blush is a very faint color but very natural, lip and mascara a nice too

Personally i don't like using the brush with the concealer, it balls up on me.  I find i have to press it in with my fingures.  So I wouldn't buy the concealer again

For me i have used the foundation different ways and I like using a creaming primer as opposed to a silcone one.  Foundation goes on smoother.  I like it with a beautyblender or a brush in a stippling motion.

So I would say my final review is I will keep the kit , its a great buy.

I really like everything except not a fan of her brush (i personally like higher quality brushes or Real Techinques  LOL}

I don't like the texture of the concealer

But I have no regrets of getting the kit, its a keeper for me!!

Respected Contributor

Was this a TSV already, or is it coming up? I don't recall seeing it in the Insider and I haven't paid much attention to Q lately.