Valued Contributor

Anyone Have a Skin Irritation Due to Retinol Products?

I've been using the Peter Thomas Roth retinol serum that's sold here for a couple of weeks and seem to be getting irritation on my forehead.  Instead of sun spots fading, some are looking red and irritated.  Has anyone had this problem with this product or any other retinol product?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have a Skin Irritation Due to Retinol Products?

Yes, some retinol products are hard for some to tolerate. I've tried quite a few products from the Q and cannot tolerate any of them. I finally found a product from Isomers called Retiniacin that does not irritation my face, but I still can't use it around my neck or chest.

Respected Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

I've been using the Peter Thomas Roth retinol serum that's sold here for a couple of weeks and seem to be getting irritation on my forehead.  Instead of sun spots fading, some are looking red and irritated.  Has anyone had this problem with this product or any other retinol product?

I get this from retinol but esp. as RetinA. You need to back off until the irritations are over then start SLOWLY! 2-3x a week for the first month, then increase as you can tolerate.

Retinol and RetinA are the gold standard of anti-aging, but managing this can be tricky.

Respected Contributor

I cannot use any product with retinol regardless of how minimal amount may be in it.  Dr. Perricone's moisturizer w/retinol had to be returned to the B & M store.  It gave me a burning rash and itching on my forehead and I had to get up and wash it off in order to sleep.  SA exchanged it for the hypersensitive formula which is wonderful.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I cannot use any retinol products no matter how slow I introduce them. My skin gets too irritated with dry red areas that takes a long time to clear up.  I don't consider buying any retinol products anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I've also become one of those who cannot tolerate retinol. That's okay. I think I can live without it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I can't use retinol either.  I have tried probably a dozen or more.  I got red bumps all over.   I'm fine with not using retinol products.  

Honored Contributor

I have to be very careful but I can use it...as long as it's not daily.

I've read so many articles, so many blogs (even here) that retinol in products found anywhere OTHER a Rx isn't enough to do anything. I remember reading that 20 years ago in Paula's book, lol. So, imagine my surprise when I decided to use up a retinol product by Colleen Rothchild and my skin was red, burning, hurt for weeks AFTER I finished using it. It NEVER occurred to me that it was her product but it was. So, either she uses a MUST stronger % in her product or my skin has REALLY changed over the past 5 years.

I have retinol peels, pads, etc and use them twice a week or do a peel once a week; no more than that. I can't. Peels that used to feel like water on my face now sting like crazy for a minute or so....no clue as to why. 

So, the brand and the frequency are two things I really have to be aware of.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's a known irritant for many. It can be too strong for some.

Back when I was in high school, I was on presciption strength Retin-A for acne. The directions had me start using it innfrequently and building up to once-a-day use. Because I have sensitive skin and often react to things, I've taken those directions and applied it to a lot of my skincare and it helps.

If you still have time, you may be better off returning it because stopping use altogether and then starting over to build tolerance over a few weeks will run out your return time. If you've already run out the clock on return or want to try another product - start by using it once a day twice a week, then gradually increase over a few weeks time. It can be slow and frustrating when you're trying something new and wannt to dive in and see results, but building up over time will let you figure out what your limits are and if you can use it at all.

Esteemed Contributor

How much are you using?  I use less than a pea size amount.  Even pea size seems to be too much for my skin.